Album Review: Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor II

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Reviewably Incorrect
(I'm aware this is late as ? , but I just got around to doing it)

OK, so after the internal fighting with his Atlantic label, the mental stress and pressures, and finally massive musical letdown that was L.A.S.E.R.S., Lupe Fiasco has come back to make amends with a return-to-form offering aptly titled Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album, Part 1 (seems elongated, but whatever.) What I first I first noticed is that Lupe pulls no punches on this one; he's back. Back to serve notice that he is Hip-Hop's social-political leader for the new era, and that he's still one of the most talented emcees in the game today.

Cool points: First and foremost, the production is 20 times better than LA.S.E.R.S.. Now, the beats - for the most part - don't sound Kanye or B.o.B. leftovers anymore. With tracks produced by 1500 or Nothin' ("ITAL (Roses)", Put 'Em Up, Cold War, and Hood Now), Soundtrakk (Strange Fruition), Mr. Inkredible (Lamborghini Angels), Lupe gets freed up to go after the system the best way he knows how. And he comes out firing on all cylinders with "Strange Fruition", about America's past and our present. This also continues in a different way on ITAL (Roses), albeit with him trying to flow on a more trap-style beat. Lupe excels when he goes on fast flows, yes, and "Lamborghini Angels" is the perfect example followed by "Put 'Em Up", but it's seem to me that even as beats get slowed down, his rebellion still stays up to par on tracks like "? Bad", "Heart Donor", and "Brave Heart", which goes crazy hard for a military background-like song.

A MAJOR plus in the album - NO GUEST RAPPERS. I always felt that some people are just better going totally solo on their albums. Lupe is one of them. (Nas is another, as well as Joe Budden)

Take-aways: OK, for a Lupe album, there was one too many slowed-down tracks. And around "How Dare You", the furiousness of the album slacks off. I will admit that one B.o.B.-type track "Battle Scars" probably sticks out more than it should.

Scores:

Lyricism - 9.25/10

Production - 8.75/10

Album Cohesiveness - 9/10

Replay Value - 8/10

Overall - 8.75/10

Final Synopsis: I honestly like this one. Lupe bounced back quite nicely with F&L II, slept-on joints like "Form Follows Function" and "Cold War" may keep this on in rotation for a while, but this falls short of reaching that greatness of the first Food & Liquor or The Cool.

Here's my problem with everyone's criticism of this guy: why are so many people complaining about "he's too preachy", "he uses too many big words" etc etc?

First off, if you're one of the people that get irked over the fact that he uses words like "acquiescent" in his rhymes, Lupe is the least of your problems. Step your gatdamn vocabulary up. Second, in this current Hip-Hop state where the balance is horribly skewered to nothing but "trap" rap, "swag" rap, and "party" rap, it's ALWAYS cool to see a few artists willing to step outside those boxes to bring us some ill streams of consciousness, especially when it's someone as talented as a Lupe Fiasco.

? that: Lupe still excels. And this album proves it. I, for one am glad the pressure of the rap game didn't get to him and force him to early retirement like he was threatening through the making of L.A.S.E.R.S.. Food & Liquor II was needed in 2012, point blank.

Personal Favorite Tracks: Lamborghini Angels, Put 'Em Up, Cold War, Hood Now

Lupe-Fiasco-Food-and-Liquor-2-Album-Review.jpg

Comments

• supYo
    supYo Members Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only currently released album im lookin 4
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dope review...

hood now, strange fruit and form follows function are in constant rotation
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good review bruh.....

I love blasting the album when I pull in the parking garage at work and hearing people like....."What you listening to?" And how shocked they look when I tell them it's Lupe and they be like ""For real? Might have to go cop that."
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vboy513 wrote: »
    Good review bruh.....

I love blasting the album when I pull in the parking garage at work and hearing people like....."What you listening to?" And how shocked they look when I tell them it's Lupe and they be like ""For real? Might have to go cop that."
    Duck tales, if you are pulling into an enclosed garage ain't nobody giving your positive feed back for listening to a rapper talking about "lay your ? next to mine"

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    >ok for a lupe album
    >rates it 8.75

Bruh you gonna have to get all the way the ? out of here for rating the replay and production that high.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Onyx, don't be a ? .

1) that line was illustrating a story about ? clergymen.

2) the scores are fine. 8/10 for replay means that it'll still be bump worthy about a year from now.

Considering I rated F&L 1 a 9.25/10, The Cool a 9.5/10, and L.A.S.E.R.S. 7.5/10, that is OK for a Lupe album.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ital, Hood Now Outro, Put Em Up, Heart Donor, Form Follows Function, How Could you are the tracks that I blast constantly.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love that Strange Fruition
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Diamond flooded demons, lamborghini angels
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    not a bad album at all, but.

F&L Pt. 1 >>> F&L Pt. 2

that's just how I feel..
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great cd, much better than Lasers. Hope he continues to find new topics to talk about. Being too political is almost as boring as being too gangster
  • Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is my fav album by lupe
  • teammedia
    teammedia Members Posts: 35
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    (I'm aware this is late as ? , but I just got around to doing it)

OK, so after the internal fighting with his Atlantic label, the mental stress and pressures, and finally massive musical letdown that was L.A.S.E.R.S., Lupe Fiasco has come back to make amends with a return-to-form offering aptly titled Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album, Part 1 (seems elongated, but whatever.) What I first I first noticed is that Lupe pulls no punches on this one; he's back. Back to serve notice that he is Hip-Hop's social-political leader for the new era, and that he's still one of the most talented emcees in the game today.

Cool points: First and foremost, the production is 20 times better than LA.S.E.R.S.. Now, the beats - for the most part - don't sound Kanye or B.o.B. leftovers anymore. With tracks produced by 1500 or Nothin' ("ITAL (Roses)", Put 'Em Up, Cold War, and Hood Now), Soundtrakk (Strange Fruition), Mr. Inkredible (Lamborghini Angels), Lupe gets freed up to go after the system the best way he knows how. And he comes out firing on all cylinders with "Strange Fruition", about America's past and our present. This also continues in a different way on ITAL (Roses), albeit with him trying to flow on a more trap-style beat. Lupe excels when he goes on fast flows, yes, and "Lamborghini Angels" is the perfect example followed by "Put 'Em Up", but it's seem to me that even as beats get slowed down, his rebellion still stays up to par on tracks like "? Bad", "Heart Donor", and "Brave Heart", which goes crazy hard for a military background-like song.

A MAJOR plus in the album - NO GUEST RAPPERS. I always felt that some people are just better going totally solo on their albums. Lupe is one of them. (Nas is another, as well as Joe Budden)

Take-aways: OK, for a Lupe album, there was one too many slowed-down tracks. And around "How Dare You", the furiousness of the album slacks off. I will admit that one B.o.B.-type track "Battle Scars" probably sticks out more than it should.

Scores:

Lyricism - 9.25/10

Production - 8.75/10

Album Cohesiveness - 9/10

Replay Value - 8/10

Overall - 8.75/10

Final Synopsis: I honestly like this one. Lupe bounced back quite nicely with F&L II, slept-on joints like "Form Follows Function" and "Cold War" may keep this on in rotation for a while, but this falls short of reaching that greatness of the first Food & Liquor or The Cool.

Here's my problem with everyone's criticism of this guy: why are so many people complaining about "he's too preachy", "he uses too many big words" etc etc?

First off, if you're one of the people that get irked over the fact that he uses words like "acquiescent" in his rhymes, Lupe is the least of your problems. Step your gatdamn vocabulary up. Second, in this current Hip-Hop state where the balance is horribly skewered to nothing but "trap" rap, "swag" rap, and "party" rap, it's ALWAYS cool to see a few artists willing to step outside those boxes to bring us some ill streams of consciousness, especially when it's someone as talented as a Lupe Fiasco.

? that: Lupe still excels. And this album proves it. I, for one am glad the pressure of the rap game didn't get to him and force him to early retirement like he was threatening through the making of L.A.S.E.R.S.. Food & Liquor II was needed in 2012, point blank.

Personal Favorite Tracks: Lamborghini Angels, Put 'Em Up, Cold War, Hood Now

Lupe-Fiasco-Food-and-Liquor-2-Album-Review.jpg

• teammedia
    teammedia Members Posts: 35
    Options
    I liked that album