Rob Liefeld Reveals Sketches From Eazy-E’s Potential Comic Book.

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the success of the NWA biopic “Straight Outta Compton” members of the group are in the news. Now we’ve learned that one of the group’s former members had a connection to the world of comics as well. Check out these character sketches from an undeveloped Eazy E comic book project.

619877b8.jpg

A rapper, producer, and the head of his own record label the late great Eric Wright, better known by his stage name Eazy-E was an innovator in the music industry whether as a member of NWA or doing his own solo projects. When you think about Eazy you don’t usually think comics, but it turns out the hip hop legend was looking to develop a comic book about urban men with super powers. Titled “The Hood”, Wright met with Image Comics co-founder Rob Liefeld in hope of seeing his vision come to life. So with Eazy on so many peoples mind due to the success of the NWA biopic “Straight Outta Compton”, Liefeld has shared some of the sketches that came out of those meeting with the rapper.

“Here are some of the sketches for The Hood, a project about urban men with powers developed/created with Eazy-E in 1992-93. The designs are dated but reflect the time of that era. #Youngblood had a huge urban audience with characters such as Sentinel and Chapel. Would have been a blast to complete but Eazy-E had fell out of contact due to complications with his illness.”

As most people know Eric Wright was taken much too soon after being diagnosed with AID’s he passed away one month later.

It’s unfortunate that we never were able to see this project come to life. With a reputation of staying true to his artistic vision like music he created his comic could have been just as ground breaking.

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already see the disproportioned body parts ,the infinite belt pouches, the wild hair styles lol. more then 20 years later and his art style hasn't improved one damn bit
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cable Had So Many Pouches Filled With Ammo That He Still Lickin Off Shots From '92
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks Like That Muthaphucka Still Can't Draw Feet Either
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Team name: Real Muthaphuckin G's
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to be fair those sketches were from 92 but still
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    Looks Like That Muthaphucka Still Can't Draw Feet Either

Reminds me...this article is pure gold.
    The commentary will leave to you stitches....lol
    The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

38_medium.jpg

You know what Rob Liefeld hates drawing? Feet. On this cover for X-Force #3, Rob is depicting a battle taking place between the titular team and internet darling The Juggernaut (who among us walks, apparently). They all appear to be battling atop some sort of boulder, which serves the purpose of covering up the feet of Juggernaut, Warpath, and Cable.

"Oh ? , gotta get Domino on there too, can’t have an X-Force cover without ? . ? , the "ground" I drew didn’t reach over to where I’m putting her. Oh, ? it, she’ll be crouching. You can crouch in the air, right?"

Okay so counting Cannonball, that’s five character’s feet taken care of. That other Juggernaut foot he can get away with, because perspective! Kinda. Ah, ? , gotta put Shatterstar on the cover! Nothing sells comic books in 1991 like a dude in a billowy silk shirt and some swords!

40_medium.gif
    This is what a woman looks like to Rob Liefeld. I can't even kid about this. It's ? ridiculous. ? ricockulous. She's wearing a string of pouches where her stomach should but could not possibly be and both her thighs and forearms are larger than her abdomen.

She has a big ole ass and torpedo ? , and I geniuenly think that when Rob finished drawing her he sat back, frowned, looked over at his friend, and said "yikes, sorry, guy."

31_medium.jpg

You know what? Even if this dude weren’t Quadzilla there’s no way he’d be able to put his legs together with all those pouches and garters and whateverthefucks. Jesus, look how high up that one band around his leg is.

What purpose could that possibly serve? His pants are so uncomfortably tight that his groin is puckering into some sort of overachieving asterisk. His belt is juuuuuuuust under his nipples. The real capper, though, is the kneepads. What the ? must go through Liefeld’s head when he’s drawing a character?

• Goonberg Scandal
    Goonberg Scandal Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I actually like Rob Liefeld's stuff. His X-Force, Deadpool, Cable and The New Mutants comics were epic even with the obvious flaws in his artwork. I like his new Bloodstrike series by Image Comics also. I don't like how most of his sequential art in the new Bloodstrike series has no backgrounds what so ever in none of the panels though smh. Rob's taking the easy way out with this Bloodstrike series, but the action scenes in the Bloodstrike comic were dope.