Lauryn Hill Working On The Follow-Up To "Miseducation of Lauryn Hill,"

Built 4 cuban linx
Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lauryn Hill's debut album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," was released in 1998.

Lauryn Hill is featured on six tracks on the album Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone that was released in conjunction with the What Happened, Miss Simone? Netflix documentary about the soul singer.

In a recent feature on The FADER, Jayson Jackson, producer of the film and associate of Hill's, says that the "Doo ? (That Thing)" singer has been inspired to create music once again because of her work on the tribute album.

"The Nina Simone experience pushed her hand in a way.” Jackson says.

He explains that it's hard to determine Hill's emotions, but her desire to make music is a good indicator.

“I know creating makes her very happy,” he says. “I couldn’t see her doing as much as she did [on the Simone project] in any state other than happiness."

Phil Nicolo, a producer working with Hill, was a co-founder of Ruffhouse Records, the label that released Fugees' The Score and Hill's 1998 debut album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. He believes she is "closer than ever to finishing the follow-up to Miseducation."

Nicolo explains the reasoning for the length of time without a second album.

"It’s not that she feels like, ‘You can wait for me.’” he says. “She wants to be right. She wants to be perfect."

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.35706/title.lauryn-hill-closer-than-ever-to-finishing-the-follow-up-to-miseducation-according-to-producer-phil-nicolo

Comments

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Hell yes I love when artists quit worrying about all the other stuff, drop everything and straight focus on creating like how they love to and how an artist supposed to do
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt this is gonna come out good, but I'll check it when it drops
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont play with my emotions bruh
  • Fairfax
    Fairfax Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Lauren is about 15 years too late to start working on her follow up album.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know what to do with myself
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairfax wrote: »

Nope.......She's not too late.

She's one of the most talented hip hop artists to ever touch a mic. I'm very confident that every hot producer in the industry will be honored to bless her with whatever she wants and every hip hop artist will be honored if selected to drop a verse or two.

This album is destined to be historic.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She came out with nas at rock the bells a few yeas ago, sounded like ? ....not sure she still has the mojo
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I heard her she sounded like an old bird with a flu but happy for her
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bck145 wrote: »
    She came out with nas at rock the bells a few yeas ago, sounded like ? ....not sure she still has the mojo

Well, this was her performing a month ago...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1y_Xl2aac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OiCUcUvlM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecmaaShsfQw

Doesn't sound like ? to me.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »

Well, this was her performing a month ago...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1y_Xl2aac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OiCUcUvlM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecmaaShsfQw

Doesn't sound like ? to me.

2 outta 3 her voice is ? , and my grandmother could sing if I rule the world and make t sound good
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? sales...
    I Never knew, creativity n passion had a time table.
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    ? sales...

where in his post did he sale anything about sales?He just said 15yrs too late.
    I'll love to hear new music from Lauren,but hope her voice is right,even though they can work magic in the studio fixing n touching up people's voice.
    jD2WXQ.gif
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's one of the most talented hip hop artists to ever touch a mic. I'm very confident that every hot producer in the industry will be honored to bless her with whatever she wants and every hip hop artist will be honored if selected to drop a verse or two.

Lmao your hopes are high homie. Like dude said this isn't 98. And it's not like it's 2001. Fire ass beats not gonna make this lp historical. She got her work cut out for her if this is true
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Don't she got mad kids? Get her kate plus 8 lookin ass outta here

Who droppin next missy elliot featuring timbaland & magoo? FOH this aint 1999 your time passed by
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    qawshun wrote: »
    I doubt this is gonna come out good, but I'll check it when it drops

I hate to co-sign this, but yeah .....

I'll say this though .....if she flip it and come through with more rapping than singing .....she'll lock the game back down

She can get some r&b ? to sing her hooks ......like drizzy lol
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    ? sales...

where in his post did he sale anything about sales?He just said 15yrs too late.
    I'll love to hear new music from Lauren,but hope her voice is right,even though they can work magic in the studio fixing n touching up people's voice.
    jD2WXQ.gif

When BLACK ppl say its too late for a musical artist . They're referring to relevance aka sales...
    Cause talent dont go anywhere... infact with musical artist, it becomes better with experience.

I remember when BLACKS were saying Jay should retire, cause he's too old... music aint sports... the body began to wear n tear. The brain dont... the more its used, the stronger it becomes.

I keep saying BLACKS because, when a WHITE artist come back, especially a well respected one. Their ppl never say its too late. Paul McCartney, Madonna, ACDC, Kiss etc... Justine Timberlake can dissapear for years,and come back like its nothing.

But with most Black legendary artists, that these wht artist take from... its the oppsosite.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw her live last summer. The problem wasnt with her voice as many people have said

The problem was she put a reggae, upbeat tinge to ALL her songs

Not sure if its because she,l contractually cant perform those original songs, or if she has an emotional tie to them she wants to avoid, or if she just didnt think concert goers would wanna hear slow jams, but it was just weird

People actually leaving while LAURYN HILL still performed, it was that bad

BUT, in the studio i have faith that her ? would b official
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's never too late. But when you've waited 15 years & your last ? was legendary, you better not come with no ? . The pressure is real. I hope she digs deep, takes her time and doesn't FORCE something that ain't there. Artist as creative as L Boogie either make classic material or ? so weird we can't enjoy it. Advice or Ms Hill GET THE RIGHT PRODUCERS TOO
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking for it when it drops. I need to get Miseducation again
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauryn Hill album=Detox
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as her voice is fine (which it seems it is), and her songwriting is still on point, she'll make a great album.

I know she pretty much produced The Miseducation by herself, but she could definitely expand and work with people like the Vanguard (D'Angelo's band), the Roots, and Terrance Martin to keep that live band feel, but just give it a bit of a contemporary spin on it.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is the problem right there. it's not destined to be heroic. it'll be what it is. great, good, wack, trash, amazing, etc. Why even put that much pressure on an artist? let it breathe