What's your formula

Bwoahmizzee
Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Fresh Produce
How do come up with your beats? Do you get ideas from other producers?

Do you make your own melodies or do you use samples and stuff like that?

Do you use pre made drum loops and do you bang out your own.

Me personally I like to start from scratch using a blank template and go from there

it feels like I'm cheating if I use drum patters or sample melodies from another song

at the very least if I like a melody I'll try to play it out using the FL keys/ piano roll using whatever instrument

What's your formula? Do you hear your beat before you make it or do you just kinda go in and it all comes together?

Comments

• KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    I usually get inspired by a song/beat/producer or have a beat in my head and try to lay it down. Most of the time it's just me playing around with the keys until I come up with something that sounds good and stack from there. Never used any pre made drum loops. I feel the same as if I was cheating...
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited April 2010
    I just started messing around with sampling but it's like cheating to me too

so even when I make something and somebody is like " Yo that ? hot" I feel like I can't take full credit because I'm just using something that was already hot to begin with.

I'm still new to this ? and most of my beats are around 70-80 bpms but I'm trying to have a variety so I'll be raising it or lowering it depending on the mood of the song.
  • malkimeansking
    malkimeansking Members Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    sometimes i get on a roll and bang out a lot of tracks other times i have creative block
  • yaboytheflashh
    yaboytheflashh Members Posts: 549
    edited April 2010

so even when I make something and somebody is like " Yo that ? hot" I feel like I can't take full credit because I'm just using something that was already hot to begin with.

I'm still new to this ? and most of my beats are around 70-80 bpms but I'm trying to have a variety so I'll be raising it or lowering it depending on the mood of the song.

well it depends. when all i'm doing is looping ? , then i kinda feel the same, but if i'm in the cuts it's all good
  • bl4ck
    bl4ck Members Posts: 47
    edited May 2010

yo music is music. music is alive and its changes and grows as does the rest of us. u start as a child, u become adolescent, you grow up, u mature, u change all the time. so does music. when ur sampling someone else's music to create more music its all for music. i just love saying music a lot =p its my soul and reason for living...

as far as formulas go, i suppose that depends on ur desired result. personally i create most of my own samples, sounds, waves... im pretty original, but i enjoy building off others work too. something liberating about an indirect collab in music. my advise? skip the formulas and just feel it out. do what music tells u to do, after all it is all for the music right? in my opinion it comes out better that way :)
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    How do come up with your beats? Do you get ideas from other producers?

Do you make your own melodies or do you use samples and stuff like that?

Do you use pre made drum loops and do you bang out your own.

Me personally I like to start from scratch using a blank template and go from there

it feels like I'm cheating if I use drum patters or sample melodies from another song

at the very least if I like a melody I'll try to play it out using the FL keys/ piano roll using whatever instrument

What's your formula? Do you hear your beat before you make it or do you just kinda go in and it all comes together?

often bolded, sometimes underlined...
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited May 2010
    bl4ck wrote: »
    yo music is music. music is alive and its changes and grows as does the rest of us. u start as a child, u become adolescent, you grow up, u mature, u change all the time. so does music. when ur sampling someone else's music to create more music its all for music. i just love saying music a lot =p its my soul and reason for living...

as far as formulas go, i suppose that depends on ur desired result. personally i create most of my own samples, sounds, waves... im pretty original, but i enjoy building off others work too. something liberating about an indirect collab in music. my advise? skip the formulas and just feel it out. do what music tells u to do, after all it is all for the music right? in my opinion it comes out better that way :)

that's what's up

it's weird you said that because some of my best beats so far have been ones where I just started from scratch and just go wherever the music takes me

other times I'll have an idea of what the beat I wanna make sounds like and I'll try to transfer that from my brain onto the program
    it's always alot harder than I assume it to be

but yeah the ? is addictive

once I clean up the couple beats I made I'll drop them and yall can give me feedback positive or negative

it's all good
  • MUSTAFA-MUSIC
    MUSTAFA-MUSIC Members Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes a melody may come to mind and I attempt to play it on the MIDI, I rarely use melodies from samples or other songs or even pre made drum patterns, I feel like I'm cheating as well. Especially because I'm a drummer. I do try to make sure I'm listening to different types of music so inspiration can naturally come in then come out when I start to make a new beat. You'll be surprised what just listening to all types of music can do for your beat making. Your ears are listening to different melodies, basslines, drum patterns and when your ad libin on your keys your ears will move you to things they you've never created before, IDK maybe its just me.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes a melody may come to mind and I attempt to play it on the MIDI, I rarely use melodies from samples or other songs or even pre made drum patterns, I feel like I'm cheating as well. Especially because I'm a drummer. I do try to make sure I'm listening to different types of music so inspiration can naturally come in then come out when I start to make a new beat. You'll be surprised what just listening to all types of music can do for your beat making. Your ears are listening to different melodies, basslines, drum patterns and when your ad libin on your keys your ears will move you to things they you've never created before, IDK maybe its just me.

word @ the bolded

when you have an appreciation for the music you can get all types of ideas just from listening to other people. not even copying but getting new ideas and things like that

sometimes I might not even know what instrument I wanna use until I hear it
  • ATLANTA.
    ATLANTA. Members Posts: 8
    edited June 2010
    it depends. sometimes i get inspiration from songs i heard or sometimes i just go in there and make something according to how i feel.
  • Aime Antonio
    Aime Antonio Members Posts: 85
    edited June 2010
    I usually think of a progression or listen to some music to get an idea for a progression and then make a melody that fits it and the remove the chord progression and add drums..When I first started I did things completely opposite