Has good soul music DIED?

Options
Lottafolocsgirl
Lottafolocsgirl Members Posts: 51
edited June 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
I use to love soulful music back in the days of Jill Scott , Ms Hill, Angie Stone. Musiq soulchild just to name a few. I came across this group http://tinyurl.com/3qyrqqk. and wondered where the heck has soul music gone? Like why is this popcorn stuff more popular than ever now.

Ok IC let me in on what you think and who ya think is not getting the pub they deserve.

Comments

• kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yea the last good era for music was the spark of the Neo-Soul in the late 90-ealry 00s. that era of soul sparked great artist like D'Angelo, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Alicia Keys, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Angie Stone, Musiq Soulchild, Avant, Jahiem, India Irie, Anthony Hamilton, Floetry, etc. Even some "small-hit wonders" like Sunshine Anderson, Vivian Green, Dwele, and Glen Lewis.

honestly R&B/Soul died after Usher "confessed" it all in 04. Confessions and The Diary of A.Keys were the LAST two great commerciall succesful soul albums. the last 2 albums where the quality of he music(classic) is just as good as the success of the projet.
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i think it's alive, it's just been shoved to the side by the generic pop. nothing lasts forever though, that's what keeps me happy, that quote, the pop will get pushed to the side at some pont too
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    There are no more musicians out here, that electronic pop sound just sounds so generic
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    When singers like Adelle are what people nowadays consider 'soul' what do you expect.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't say soul music has died but it's very few artists out there left that define what R&B soul is about. The ones that are still left aren't really in the mainstream and the ones that were have either faded or went to the underground scene.
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Soul music will never die... fans just became extra critical.

Anywayway Ledisi "Pieces Of Me" Beyonce "4" both in stores right now. Go and support great music.
  • Lottafolocsgirl
    Lottafolocsgirl Members Posts: 51
    Options