Kid Kash "ECW paid me twice the amount as TNA ever did and that’s the truth.”

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello again wrestling fans and welcome back to another fantastic interview here on KayfabeKickout.com. For this interview I had the honor to speak with a superstar who has seen it all and experienced it all in professional wrestling; Kid Kash.

Kash has been involved in the professional wrestling business for over 25 years, and has an extremely impressive wrestling resume. Kash started out as a professional fighter in Japan, when he caught the attention of a well known tag team wrestler by the name of Ricky Morton, who was half of one of the greatest tag teams in pro wrestling history; The Rock 'n' Roll Express. Morton brought Kash on the road with him to help him with his training as a professional wrestler, and Kash started his career in pro wrestling working the independent scene, while working as a welder during the day.

Kash finally received his big break in the business when he debuted for Paul Heyman's ECW in 1996, and had great success with the promotion, capturing the ECW World Television Championship, and wrestled with the promotion until it folded in 2001. Kash debuted for TNA, after a brief stint in World Championship Wrestling, and became part of the newly formed X-Division. It wasn't long before Kash attained championship gold in TNA, capturing his first X-Division Championship in 2003 and tag team gold, the NWA World Tag Team Championship.

In 2005 Kash entered the big leagues of professional wrestling when he was hired by the WWE, and was a major part of the WWE's Cruiserweight Division, and once again he captured gold, by winning the WWE Cruiserweight Championship. Kash switched gears after leaving the WWE in 2006 and worked on the independent scene for several years, until returning to TNA in 2010. Kash made a home in TNA and was an important part of the X-Division, working with the young up-and-comers such as; Austin Aries, Zema Ion, Brian Kendrick and many more. While with TNA, Kash wrestled some of the top stars in the promotion from the likes of; Samoa Joe, Hernandez and Rob Van Dam.

In February 2013 Kash and TNA parted ways, but Kash is not shaken in the slightest. He is currently wrestling in the United Kingdom, and has set up a training school for would be pro wrestlers called 'House of Grind,' so this is the next chapter in Kash's impressive career in professional wrestling.

I spoke with Kash on the overall state of TNA, smaller wrestlers and how they are perceived in the business, Paul Heyman and so much more.

Richard: For wrestling fans who may not be aware with what you've been up to since leaving TNA, can you give us an update on the busy schedule of Kid Kash?

Kash: I just finished up a month long tour of the UK and will be going back in September for House of Grind. This isn't your average training school. We're doing a two day try out session on September 7th and 8th. If you survive that, which trust me a lot won't, you'll then be invited to join the school for 6 more months. Intensity doesn't even begin to describe this training. The ones who complete the program will be putting on a live show. This mix of wrestling and MMA training isn't being offered anywhere else in the UK.

Richard: During your time with the WWE you held the now defunct Cruiserweight Championship, do you think there's a need for another Cruiserweight Championship and Division in the WWE?

Kash: I think there's always a need for a Cruiserweight or Lightweight Division in any company.

Richard: You had several stints in ECW under Paul Heyman and there have been several documented stories of Heyman's financial problems with regard to paying his talent, did you have problems receiving payment from him?

Kash: Never, Paul paid me everything he owed me right up to the last day.

Richard: You've commented in past interviews that titles in pro wrestling are props and do not pay your bills, have you always thought this or were there specific situations that changed your overall views on titles in pro wrestling?

Kash: I've always known that they weren't truly earned other than being a good entertainer. In MMA you truly earn that title physically. In wrestling your contract dictates what you make, so basically your pay is the same whether you hold a title or not.

Richard: With your new training facility starting up in the UK I'd like to get your thoughts on pro wrestling in Europe, do you think pro wrestlers in North America could benefit from learning the old school techniques and storytelling aspects of the UK?

Kash: Old school is telling a story in the ring. That sort of got lost somewhere. Yeah, there's a lot of folks who could learn a few old school tricks and be a hell of a lot better because of it....

Richard: You've worked for TNA in several occasions, do you agree with most wrestling fans when they compare TNA with WCW in terms of the lack of leadership and older stars still in top positions?

Kash: I do. They just keep recycling the same people over and over and and don't push the ones who have actual talent in the locker room. And unless they drastically raise their budget they'll continue on the same path. They don't pay like any other "it" company. ECW paid me twice the amount as TNA ever did and that's the truth.

Richard: Staying on the topic of TNA, who was your favorite wrestler to work with in the ring, and who was your least favorite?

Kash: I'd say my favorite would be Hernandez. He's extremely talented for a man of his size. Austin Aries would be my least. His arrogance with calling a simple 5 to 10 minute match was ridiculous. Like pulling ? teeth.

Richard: Shift back to your time in ECW, you've partnered and wrestled against Rob Van Dam on several occasions, what are you overall thoughts on RVD as an in-ring competitor?

Kash: Extremely athletic and talented. What else can you say about him?

Richard: Do you think smaller wrestler's like yourself have received a bad rap with regards to not being as over with fans as larger wrestlers?

Kash: I think that in the beginning TNA showed the true talent the smaller guys had which made the show, then somewhere in that 10 years that shifted. As far as talent we have it. With bigger guys there will be one out of 100 who have actual working ability. The thing I do know in this business is if the promoter wants you over to sell seats you will be. That's up to the promoter. Politics is so crazy that if one person in the booking committee doesn't agree, they don't waste time and ? can it. There's no hashing it out or working on it, it's just done. They may bring it up again, but until that one pushes it you'll be that shelf wrestler.

Richard: During your time in the WWE were you ever involved in any personal dealings with Vince McMahon? A couple times.

Kash: He was very professional, cordial, nice.

Richard: Staying on the topic of the WWE you worked with Jamie Noble extensively, what are your overall thoughts on Jamie?

Kash: He's my boy. I'm super happy for him that he's kept a career going and his ideas can go far in the company as an agent.

Richard: Who's the number one pro wrestler, either past or present who you would want to wrestle?

Kash: Always has been and always will be Dynamite Kid. That will never change.

- Fans can follow Kash on Twitter @DavidKidKash and on his Official Facebook Page as well.

I want to personally thank Kid Kash for talking the time to speak with me here on KayfabeKickout.com.
kayfabekickout.com/6/post/2013/06/interview-with-kid-kash-former-wwe-ecw-tna-superstar.html

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's why ECW went out of business and TNA hasn't.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TNA is still small. They cant even pay guys like Angle 8 Sting, i think the network takes care of them.

Any c
  • jono
    Options
    Any comparison between TNA and ECW will make TNA look bad
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    TNA gets money from Panda Energy a prominent energy company in this country. If Dixie does want to she could get her old man to sign some checks. It's how they got Sting and Hogan and Angle in the first place. The thing is Bob Carter is also no Ted Turner. It's not a primary investment for him and he's careful of the money he allows Dixie to spend like a real business man.

There is no reckless Paul Heyman like money mismanagement here. ECW was bleeding money by the end because they overpaid EVERYBODY on the roster. As good as Kid Kash was he did not deserve RVD or Taz like checks during his time in ECW. Not when he had half the impact on that promotion that they did. TNA uses sound business by just reserving big money for the main eventers. This is why they've outlasted ECW.
  • Broddie
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Not true. Hell you could argue that in the past 11 years TNA has featured more prominent and memorable wrestling than ECW ever did in less than 6 and this is coming from an ECW fan. Not WWECW either. I never watched that ? . Not even the TNN ECW. I'm talking about the staying up till 2:30 AM on friday nights watching MSG because it was the only way to watch the telecast type of ECW.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    jono wrote: »

Not true. Hell you could argue that in the past 11 years TNA has featured more prominent and memorable wrestling than ECW ever did in less than 6 and this is coming from an ECW fan. Not WWECW either. I never watched that ? . Not even the TNN ECW. I'm talking about the staying up till 2:30 AM on friday nights watching MSG because it was the only way to watch the telecast type of ECW.

Got damn.
  • jono
    Options
    You proved my point though. TNA is bolstered by billionaires, Heyman was running ECW out of his parent's basement for a long asd time, and he es constantly getting sued.

TNA has also been in operation for about a year longer than ECW. Heyman wasnt and didnt really have access to the same funding TNA has.

As far as match quality is concerned im taking ECW again but TNA has had some pretty good matches.

The Angle/Joe series is some of the best stuff ever, the early X-Division stuff is golden too but since about 2006 TNA been flat to me. Early ECW had the Guerrero/Malenko series, the RVD/Sabu matches and of course the RVD/Lynn stuff which basically define ECW just as the X-Division defined TNA
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    RVD/Sabu feud is overrated. Taz/Sabu was way better. The other ones you mentioned were damn good though. Nevertheless a great deal of ECW matches had really poor and at times non existent ring psychology and relied too much on extreme gimmickry to cover up for mediocre work rates of many wrestlers on the roster (Ie: New Jack, Sandman, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer) to be truly notable. I didn't start watching TNA regularly till last summer but catching up on everything from the past few years I see a lot more authentically well crafted wrestling during it's lifetime than I ever saw in ECW.
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ecw on the Spanish channel at 2 am with like 1 match and 45 minutes of selling merchandise >>>>>>>>>>> the Old Testament
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ecw only lasted eight years and they never made money never went overseas guys went two years without getting paid and still haven't gotten paid for all of that.

Ecw was only on national tv for a year and never had two hours and hour of tv on friday they had to pay for.

Tna passed Ecw the second they got on spike they got paid for it.they on now two hours on Thursdays every week live on the road and they go to different countries and seen in over 100 countries have had video games DVDs in stores action figures.

Have had the biggest names ever please.ecw is and has always been a joke.only the iwc cared.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kid Kashmir btw was so bitter at tna he went around saying aj styles sucked off Jerry jarrett to win the titles in tna..so u tell me.

Everyone knows in Ecw no one ever got paid in full or on time or at all some cases.ask Sabu about Paul heyman
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ this thread

TNA uses sound business judgment
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wow, cant believe a debate was made in favor of tna bidness practices lol
  • JohnBlackwell
    JohnBlackwell Members Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Options
    Kid Kash can ? right off, I've heard some stories about him stealing from locker rooms over the years. Scumbag
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can we get link to stories of said thievery?