7 Schools That Shamed And Punished Girls And Children Of Color With Absurd Dress Code Violations

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Vanessa-VanDyke-via-screencap-410x220.png

On Wednesday, a Georgia high school student was sent home for violating the dress code at Beauford High School by wearing a fairly conservative-looking skirt that happened to show her knees.

Carey Burgess posted a picture of herself wearing a black-and-white striped sweater and khaki skirt, saying a school staffer embarrassed her when he told her she was violating dress code in front of her peers.

“Thank you for letting me know that while I may think that I am dressing up for my Teacher Cadet lesson, I am in fact dressing to go to a night club or the ? house,” Burgess wrote on her Facebook page. “Thank you for bringing me to tears in front of my friends and classmates because you do not have the decency to pull me aside and explain the problem. Then again, I did not have the decency to put on real clothes today.”

Burgess went on to say that some of her teachers make sexist jokes and remarks in class and said she was made to feel she was being “kept in place” as a woman.

“Maybe our society isn’t yet advanced enough to handle 3 inches of my thigh,” she wrote. “This is a patriarchal society and I am a woman. I have to be kept in my place, or I may do something that is so rarely seen in Beaufort High School- learn.”

Burgess isn’t the first female student or student of color to be disciplined for her outfit — or for wearing styles associated with culture, depending on the case. Here are seven examples of dress codes that seem designed to target students based on their race or gender.

1. In September, a Native American student of Seneca and Paiute descent was sent home from school in Utah because he was wearing the traditional Mohawk hairstyle, which is often worn by men from Seneca Nation. Officials from Arrowhead Elementary would only allow him to return to school after a tribal leader sent a letter confirming the cultural nature of the cut.

2. Also in September, boys joined girls in protest over a school dress code at Cape Cod Regional Tech in Massachusetts over a ban on yoga pants, comfortable, shape-hugging pants that have become commonplace outside yoga studios. Students criticized the ban as targeting women and forcing them to “cover up.”

3. In 2013, a Christian school in Florida threatened to expel a 12-year-old African-American girl for wearing her hair naturally. Vanessa VanDyke had told school officials she was being bullied, but instead of helping her, the school gave her an ultimatum: Cut and straighten her hair or be expelled. The school, Faith Christian Academy in Orlando, eventually backed off the threat.

4. In August, an Oklahoma school administrator came under fire for shaming female students by calling girls in revealing clothing “skanks.” A student said Noble High School superintendent Ronda Bass sat girls down on the first day of school and said, “Have y’all ever seen any ‘skanks’ around this school? I don’t want to see anyone’s ass hanging out of their shorts."

5. Last year, female students were kicked out of their high school prom after showing up in pants. Shafer Rupard and her friends, students at Cherryville High School were apparently subjected to a non-existent dress code rule when Rupard was told by a teacher there was an issue with her skinny jeans.

6. Last May, Shelton High School in Connecticut caused a firestorm when it banned backless dresses and dresses with slit skirts at its prom. The style of evening wear is common, forcing students and parents to scramble at the last minute to find replacements for the girls’ dresses.

7. Last November, a Milwaukee teacher was given a citation by police after she cut off a braid worn by an African-American child, WISN reported. Lamya Cammon was playing with her braids in class when her teacher told her to stop. The teacher then cut one of her braids off.

Comments

• babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First it says the the skirt was conservative and just above the knee. Then she said they couldn't handle three inches of thigh. Two different animals. Why did she take her gripe to the court of Facebook?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    First it says the the skirt was conservative and just above the knee. Then she said they couldn't handle three inches of thigh. Two different animals. Why did she take her gripe to the court of Facebook?

exactly

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the dress code spells it out clearly, why the ? are you still trying to wear it? It says nothing above the knee, you come in with ? above the knee, are they just supposed to let it slide? Nah b, ? don't work like that out in the real world. Like vagrant said, if I work in an office with a clear dress code and I walk through the door in violation of it, no matter how seemingly insignificant, they have every right to send me home.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In 2013, a Christian school in Florida threatened to expel a 12-year-old African-American girl for wearing her hair naturally. Vanessa VanDyke had told school officials she was being bullied, but instead of helping her, the school gave her an ultimatum: Cut and straighten her hair or be expelled. The school, Faith Christian Academy in Orlando, eventually backed off the threat.

. In September, a Native American student of Seneca and Paiute descent was sent home from school in Utah because he was wearing the traditional Mohawk hairstyle, which is often worn by men from Seneca Nation. Officials from Arrowhead Elementary would only allow him to return to school after a tribal leader sent a letter confirming the cultural nature of the cut

Outside these two, the rest is intersectionality at its finest.... ? just reeks of wht feminist .who rather advocate on behalf of their fellow blk women. They instead, try to piggy back off the plight of blk women , with some, "hey i cant wear yoga pants".

Gtfoh
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She shouldn't have wore it above the knee

And 3 inches is a lot especially when it suppose to be below the knee.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk about this thread yo. Maybe I'm getting old.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

2. Also in September, boys joined girls in protest over a school dress code at Cape Cod Regional Tech in Massachusetts over a ban on yoga pants, comfortable, shape-hugging pants that have become commonplace outside yoga studios. Students criticized the ban as targeting women and forcing them to “cover up.”

lol @ the boys protesting like "No way in hell we letting ya'll take girls in yoga pants away from us. ? that."
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

7. Last November, a Milwaukee teacher was given a citation by police after she cut off a braid worn by an African-American child, WISN reported. Lamya Cammon was playing with her braids in class when her teacher told her to stop. The teacher then cut one of her braids off.

If a ? teacher cuts my kids hair, everybody in that office is going to leave bald by time I'm through, the nerve of cac's man
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7 so egregious. Lawd so egregious
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While children shouldn't be in a rush to show skin, much less break clearly stated dress codes, a lot of adults show their perverted mentality when they see children.

I don't look at the kid baring a little skin and think "Oh look at that lil girl trying be sexy."

That's that Catholic and Muslim restrained ? ? .
  • CEOFABRIC
    CEOFABRIC Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Options
    @gh0st right....If the teacher was black and cut a white student's hair, there would have been assault charges placed.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3. In 2013, a Christian school in Florida threatened to expel a 12-year-old African-American girl for wearing her hair naturally. Vanessa VanDyke had told school officials she was being bullied, but instead of helping her, the school gave her an ultimatum: Cut and straighten her hair or be expelled. The school, Faith Christian Academy in Orlando, eventually backed off the threat.

Vanessa-VanDyke-via-screencap-410x220.png

And they tripping over a GIRL for wearing her hair like this? I wonder if they were going to use the "we're getting them reay for the workforce" excuse.....