EMT says he was suspended without pay for trying to save choking girl, 7, who is now on life support

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
An EMT who saved a 7-year-old girl who was choking on her lunch claims he has been suspended from his job because it is against company policy to make a stop without being called.

Assist Ambulance worker Qwasi Reid was transporting a nursing home patient last Wednesday with his partner when they were flagged down at a red light by a distraught man.

Reid told Fox that his partner told the man they already had a patient and there was nothing they could do.

Reid said he knew that a choking girl was more urgent than transport of an elderly person so he decided to step in and try to save the girl's life.

Reid jumped out of the back door of the ambulance and started administering first aid. Sadly by the time Reid began helping the girl she had already turned blue since no one at the school was helping her.

Noelia Echavarria, 7, is on life support at NYU hospital where she has been declared brain dead and her family are praying for a swift recovery.

Reid, who has been suspended from his job without pay for stopping to help the girl, says given the opportunity he would have made the decision all over again.

'I don't regret it,' Reid said. 'I'd do it again. If I know there's a child choking, I'm going to do my best to help her,' he added.

Reid said Assist Ambulance suspension of his proves that they are more concerned about insurance money than they are the well being of people in need.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3294288/EMT-says-suspended-without-pay-trying-save-choking-girl-life-support.html

Comments