Was Fat Joe ever the king of New York???

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    NO
    Lol @ DMX King of New York lol

Yall not really understanding man. Its not just
    'most popluar ? from NY'. As hige as X (and Ja Rule) were, no, just no

And if your 'reign' is over in a year ? u was not no king

Big, bc he came up with the idea
    Jay bc he Jay
    Nas by default after Ether but he was never built for that lane

50 stopped bein respected and was also never really respected internally

Im still standing by Big and Jay the only ever kings of NY

If the title really mean something you dont HAVE to award the ? arbitrarily. ? naming kings bc they held down a summer...

Bobby Shmurda was King of NY summer '14...
    Maino was King of NY when Hi Hater dropped
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol @ DMX King of New York lol

Yall not really understanding man. Its not just
    'most popluar ? from NY'. As hige as X (and Ja Rule) were, no, just no

And if your 'reign' is over in a year ? u was not no king

Big, bc he came up with the idea
    Jay bc he Jay
    Nas by default after Ether but he was never built for that lane

50 stopped bein respected and was also never really respected internally

Im still standing by Big and Jay the only ever kings of NY

If the title really mean something you dont HAVE to award the ? arbitrarily. ? naming kings bc they held down a summer...

Bobby Shmurda was King of NY summer '14...
    Maino was King of NY when Hi Hater dropped

He went plat twice in one year, which is still a record I believe??? He was sold 6million TWICE in 98, then another 6mil in 99... He was also the main face of Ruff Ryders which was one helleva movement, dude was in big movies, he was popular in the streets and commercially... He was king in 97 and 99 without a doubt...
  • Javon803
    Javon803 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

Someone make a timeline from 1997 on...

97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

Who you got for 95 & 96?

I got...

95-BIGGIE
    96-NAS(Granted Fugees out sold him but they from Jersey)

And would you still count record sales as a priority in being KONY in today's climate and rather it be based more on quality?

Nas was king of NY when biggie was alive???? "? think I signed with Hov to stay close to the throne" Jadakiss. Big was the only true king of NY The closest person is Jay..... It's more than record sales, you gotta be goat level on the mic,you gotta have both street and mainstream appeal.new Yorkers gotta love you plus since New Yorkers love money you gotta also have money and power to be the KONY...50 had the money and run but falls short on the mic game and according to kiss, he lives in Connecticut.
    while Jada is great on the mic, he doesn't have the NY following,he doesn't have that one album,Nas while one of the goat MCs is always owing the IRS and on child support,diddy is not a rapper,Jay for me is the king because he is good in every category plus he has a real Queen for a wife and New Yorkers love him more than anybody since Big
    No offense but jay is much bigger than ny now he would probably ice grill you came at him taking bout some king of ny lol he on a whole nother level
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    ? no and ? u for even insinuating such a thing...
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fat joe was a good all around rapper who was affiliated with slightly overrated legends that hip hop heads are in love with, but king? ? no, he never really had that much impact commercially either. imo jada has a more solid claim to top 5 dead or alive than joe ever would to king
    5. Most importantly, he has multiple gold and platinum albums...

No he doesn't, he only has 1 gold album and 1 plat album out of 10 albums

JOSE was multi plat... MULTI Platinum... As a solo artist he has sold over 3million records in his career...

so basically jose sold all 3 million?

No one was saying he was top5 doa, it was a was he holding the crown for a moment in time... Another online source says Joe has sold over 4million records, so I dont think anyone knows his sales...
    freshb651 wrote: »
    Cot damn at nobody voting yes

Waterurseeds voted No and he's in here arguing for Joe, LOL

Haha yeah like I said I dont think he ever was, but he was commercially popping at one point (before the 50 beef) so thought it was worth discussing...

Wait u made the thread abt Joe being king....no one thinks his king not even u.....yet u arguing for him like he was a contender?
  • water ur seeds
    NO
    TayGettem wrote: »
    fat joe was a good all around rapper who was affiliated with slightly overrated legends that hip hop heads are in love with, but king? ? no, he never really had that much impact commercially either. imo jada has a more solid claim to top 5 dead or alive than joe ever would to king
    5. Most importantly, he has multiple gold and platinum albums...

No he doesn't, he only has 1 gold album and 1 plat album out of 10 albums

JOSE was multi plat... MULTI Platinum... As a solo artist he has sold over 3million records in his career...

so basically jose sold all 3 million?

No one was saying he was top5 doa, it was a was he holding the crown for a moment in time... Another online source says Joe has sold over 4million records, so I dont think anyone knows his sales...
    freshb651 wrote: »
    Cot damn at nobody voting yes

Waterurseeds voted No and he's in here arguing for Joe, LOL

Haha yeah like I said I dont think he ever was, but he was commercially popping at one point (before the 50 beef) so thought it was worth discussing...

Wait u made the thread abt Joe being king....no one thinks his king not even u.....yet u arguing for him like he was a contender?

I wasnt saying he was the K.O.N.Y, just creating the debate and making the points, could he of for a moment in time had the crown...
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Hell no but he does have songs I listen too before I would Ever listen to Lupe or Kendrick track.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    ? naw he was never the king of ?
  • double jay
    double jay Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    we have to take into account also that Fat Joe doesn't write his own rhymes...

his string of ghostwriters is well documented (Big Pun of course being his most famous ghostwriter)

thread closed. I was in the gym earlier today, and Pound Cake came on my IPOD. THis lyric made me cringe. "Like I should fall in line, like I should alert ?
    When I'm 'bout to drop somethin' crazy and not say I'm the greatest of my generation" How can we call you the greatest, when your pen has been exposed. It seems like every year fans compromise on one more thing. If writing your own lyrics aint sacred, wtf is?

• double jay
    double jay Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    50 was King for a minute. about 2yrs.
  • water ur seeds
    edited November 2015
    NO
    Fat Joe did not have ghostwritters, people that say Pun wrote his rhymes are crazy, Joe was spitting fire YEARS before Pun came around... He may of had help later in his career, like most rappers have... Schitt even Cube didnt write his verse on Dre's 'Compton' album...
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurtis Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1987 Rakim /KRS 1 / LL Cool J
    1988 Big Daddy Kane/ Rakim/ KRS1/Chuck D
    1989 Big Daddy Kane / KRS
    1990 LL Cool J
    1991 QTip (Tribe Call Quest )
    1992 Pete Rock C.L Smooth
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2008 Max B........ non rap :Vybz Kartel n Mavado
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

• water ur seeds
    NO
    D0wn wrote: »

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurtis Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1990 LL Cool J
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Caz needs be there somewhere, he is the the godfather MC..
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U have you gotta flow joe
    U got cheesesteaks and a slice joe
    U got ponzi scheme joe
    U got joe slims
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1990 LL Cool J
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Kurtis Blow didn't have NYC on lock like that.

Grandmaster Flsh and the Furious 5 were dropping groundbreaking records like The Message, White Lines and Beat Street. Melle Mel dropped a 16 bar verse on Chaka Khan's I Feel For you and performed it at the Grammys in 1984. I don't see how you could say he wasn't KONY in 1984.

I know its a lot of opinions, but no way was LL Cool J KONY in 1993.

The crown was vacant in 1993. Nobody in NYC was seeing Snoop or Death Row.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1990 LL Cool J
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Grandmaster Flsh and the Furious 5 were dropping groundbreaking records like The Message, White Lines and Beat Street. Melle Mel dropped a 16 bar verse on Chaka Khan's I Feel For you and performed it at the Grammys in 1984. I don't see how you could say he wasn't KONY in 1984.

Snoop and Death Row and the KONY has nothing in common for 93 so you can't say the crown was vacant.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    bigev240 wrote: »

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1990 LL Cool J
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Snoop and Death Row and the KONY has nothing in common for 93 so you can't say the crown was vacant.

Well, if the KONY is supposed to have New York City on lock, in 92/93 there's wasn't anybody in New York that fit that description. In the meanwhile, Ice Cube, Dre and Snoop were releasing genre defining music on the other coast. Don't think that New York cats didn't notice.

Saying Snoop was the KONY in 93 is like saying Wayne was the KONY in 2008, at first it doesn't make sense, but if you really think about it, who was the hottest rapper in New York in 2008? Who was getting the most play? who was on the mixtapes? Same difference.

Point being, there was a lull in NYC Hip Hop from 92-93. You had Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Naughty By Nature, Brand Nubian, Pete Rock and CL Smooth. They made great singles, but there was no MOVEMENT. The West had a movement from 92-93.
  • S2J
    NO
    Max B was King of New York :#
  • S2J
    NO
    Vybz Kartel and Movado were co-princes of New York :#
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I think a better question would be was Cam'ron ever a contender for KONY?

... Fat Joe lame af now
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    Rofl @ mid 00s.

Yall ? wish 50 didn't happen sooooo bad.

50 hado it indisputably for

50 was so ? dominant that jayz QUIT rapping to avoid competing with him. Literally took his ball and went home. And you ? talkin bout some gotdam fat joe. Lmao. 50 damn movie soundtrack went plat.

There's a lot of truth to this, 50's run was very serious impact wise. And I remember that movie soundrack, ? was fire. Not sure if another rapper has sold 5 million off one album since The Massacre? Either way, G-Unit was still popping till right about 2007, so I can co-sign this
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2015
    NO
    I respect Fat Joe and as someone who lives in the Bronx, I have heard stories about him being a real dude. But he has never been the KONY, at any time. The only rappers who ever got that title and deserved it are Biggie, Jay-Z, and 50. Maybe LL Cool J at one point but I never heard anyone call LL that.

No NaS at one point? C'mon bruh...

Nas is in my top 5 but I've never heard anyone call Nas the KONY, and I'm in NY. I know people who think Nas is the best MC ever but he's never dominated the NY game like that, Biggie and Jay-Z get more love in NY from what I have seen. Nas is very respected obviously but I'm going by what I have seen. When Biggie was around, the love he got did not compare, 50 was very huge here too. Nas is very respected but I don't think he's ever had that one year (minus 1996 but Biggie was still more popular).
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    HE wasn't even king of the obese MC's
  • kingblaze84
    NO
    bigev240 wrote: »

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1990 LL Cool J
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

Well, if the KONY is supposed to have New York City on lock, in 92/93 there's wasn't anybody in New York that fit that description. In the meanwhile, Ice Cube, Dre and Snoop were releasing genre defining music on the other coast. Don't think that New York cats didn't notice.

Saying Snoop was the KONY in 93 is like saying Wayne was the KONY in 2008, at first it doesn't make sense, but if you really think about it, who was the hottest rapper in New York in 2008? Who was getting the most play? who was on the mixtapes? Same difference.

Point being, there was a lull in NYC Hip Hop from 92-93. You had Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Naughty By Nature, Brand Nubian, Pete Rock and CL Smooth. They made great singles, but there was no MOVEMENT. The West had a movement from 92-93.

Great points, I actually agree.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO

The last 35 years
    Kings of NY Year By Year

1980 Kurtis Blow
    1981 Kurt's Blow
    1982 Kurtis Blow
    1983 Kurtis Blow
    1984 Run DMC
    1985 LL Cool J
    1986 Run DMC
    1990 LL Cool J
    1993 LL Cool J
    1994 Nas
    1995 Biggie
    1996 Nas/ LL
    1997 Biggie/Mase/ Puff
    1998 DMX/ Jayz
    1999 JayZ
    2000 Jayz/Jarule
    2001 Nas/ Jayz.../JaRule
    2002 JaRule
    2003 50/ Jay
    2004 Nas
    2005 50
    2006 Fat Joe
    2007 50 / Jay
    2009 Jay
    2010 ?
    2011 ?
    2012 Asap Rocky
    2013 Jay / Asap Rocky
    2014 ?
    2015 Asap Rocky

well snoop ain't from NY, n LL was the only major ny artist to release in 93 and sell.

@ grandmaster flash n furious 5 i was'nt even alive then, fix it.