Why do people say Green Lantern is 'basically a ? '?

soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's hundreds of those mother ? holding what is described as the most powerful weapon in the universe. Yet, most of them clearly ain't ? compared to let's say Aquaman or Darkseid.

Or are the people who say GL is 'basically a ? ' referring to Hal Jordan specifically? And if so, which version are we talking? I get that, when heroes fight heroes, nobody wins 100% of the time, but all things considered, ain't no GL, even Hal, beating Superman more often than not.

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never heard anyone say this. WW and Superman, maybe Martian Manhunter, could be gods, but GLs? nah
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    batman with the ring>>
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    aquaman?
    the fish dude?

the same dude that would dry out if rubbing alcohol was thrown on him?

i need to catch up,i think i missed something
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aquaman?
    the fish dude?

the same dude that would dry out if rubbing alcohol was thrown on him?

i need to catch up,i think i missed something

Bruh Aquaman has gone toe to toe with the man with the S on his chest and New 52 Aquaman>>>>
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Same Aquaman that surf's on Dolphins? and talks to swordfish's......Joking........but what's the power upgrade on Aquaman
  • soul rattler
    HE DOES MORE THAN TALK TO FISHAquaman's telepathy can also influence non-aquatic life in subtle ways. He can't read minds and directly communicate telepathically with people, but in different adventures he's given people hypnotic suggestions. Once battle involved him causing enemy to have a seizure by simply concentrating. A mental attack he unleashed on the evil Kordax was so intense that the villain killed himself to end it.
    Aquaman was born with a number of other abilities. As a swimmer, he's reached a top speed of 1,000 knots (about 1,150.7 mph) and has launched himself 60 feet into the air from the water. This strength means Arthur can easily lift a car and throw it like a football. He once helped support a burning 10-story building for several minutes until firefighters could evacuate everyone. Bullets bounce off him, leaving only scratches. His senses are enhanced, his eyes able to see in complete darkness. And a connection to unseen, magical forces has given Aquaman several prophetic visions over the years.

Add to that his years of fighting experience and the fact the he doesn't shy away from bloodshed or killing if he thinks he has to, unlike Superman and Batman, and you've got a pretty deadly warrior.

HE COMMANDS ARMIESArthur Curry was elected to be King of Atlantis (and later stories revised his origin to say he was the rightful heir to the throne anyway). As soon as this happened, he was put in charge of a society where technology and magic are sometimes one and the same, an underwater nation that has never been fully conquered by outside forces. As King of the Atlantean people, Aquaman is "sworn protectorate over fifteen thousand submarine states," with territories surrounding every continent of the planet.
    His Atlantean soldiers are all several times stronger than the average human being and use weapons unlike anything known to surface world military. The only reason they haven't already conquered the entire Earth is because most of them, and certainly Arthur, are not motivated by conquest or the acquisition of further power. Add to that his command of sea life and his power grows. Do you have any idea how many life forms live in bodies of water all over the Earth? They all will hear Arthur's call, including sharks, squids and creatures most people have never seen. When Aquaman was denied access to a government building and then mocked, he responded by herding several blue whales (the largest mammals on Earth) and caused a small tidal wave to knock the damn doors down.
    http://www.newsarama.com/15433-a-laughingstock-10-reasons-aquaman-is-a-badass.html
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Lantern>>>
  • soul rattler
    The white lantern is completely different and you know it. Sinestro got it for a second too.

I'm talking strictly willpowered lanterns.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Green Lantern is pretty damn powerful though and I think only Superman and Martian Hunter can out him. I think flash too but that doesn't mean he's weak.
  • BangEm_Bart
    His willpower is immune to telepathy and Aquamans not beating him.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plugged GL into our world right now, he'd basically have what is considered godlike power as would most high level superheroes.

People get too caught up in the term "? ." In comics, it doesn't have nearly as much meaning or significance as people ascribe to it.
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    they say gl is basically a ? cause superman is dcs ? and lanterns ability is green so around superman theres a visiable ? paradox.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who every said that?
  • Daddy_KRS_Ice_G_R
    Daddy_KRS_Ice_G_R Members Posts: 0
    Theoretically, a Green Lantern is limited only by imagination. And a ring-bearer should pre-program the ring with autodefenses that should be SOP in order to never be caught unaware, but that would make for boring comics.