How you feel about Chris Rock's ? vs Black People Stand Up?

Comments

• Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    It's funny how these days many of you call people ? for the slightest thing, and yet you're willing to let this abomination slide. Hell, many of you are the ones saying that you don't see a problem.

So-called ? are just black people who have who have been particularly harmed by white supremacy. Or at least, most are. The historical context here is everything. So in dehistoricizing this Rock makes it appear that '? ' just appear out of nowhere, and for this he deserves our everlasting reproach.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Just comedy.

Im a fan of Chris Rock.

Whaaat??? Lmao You gon have to sit tha ? down for this biddy
  • S2J
    Agree
    LPast wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    I love it man. The ability to speak freely and address big fat gigantic elephants in the room.

No, we are not all perfect.
    No, our race, or ANY race, are not all bastions of hope and beacons of light

The only problem is ....that admission and conversation left the black community.

Similar to rappers who rap the truth then if they blow and it gets out to the masses

But does that change its purity of the message or how YOU view it?

So if TODAY, Black Girl Lost is covered on CNN and goes mainstream , does that change how YOU feel about? Make it any less true?

If 2nd Childhood suddenly became famous, does that change how YOU feel about it

So when Nas says:
    Baby girl she's always talkin name droppin hangin late
    Drinkin smokin hates her baby daddy, craves shoppin
    E poppin Ecstasy takin, won't finish her education
    Best friend she keeps changin, stuck with limitations
    Lustin men, many hotels, Fendi Chanel
    With nothin in her bank account frontin she do well
    Her kid suffers he don't get that love he deserve
    He the Sun, she the Earth, single mom, even worse
    No job never stay workin, mad purty
    Shorty they call her the brain surgeon
    Time flyin she the same person, never matures
    All her friends married doin well
    She's in the streets yakkety yakkin like she was 12
    Honey is twenty-seven, argues fights
    Selfish in her own right, polite, guess she's in her second childhood

Would the fact that white people get a hold of that change what YOU feel about it? Foh If so them crackas own you and you the real sellout, not Chris Rock.

That's why I had to preface the poll by saying "don't tell me about what white people think". Sometimes we don't have an opinion without involving white people.

Nice catch, as you can see with a lot of folk 'what will whitey think' is first thing on their mind.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how these days many of you call people ? for the slightest thing, and yet you're willing to let this abomination slide. Hell, many of you are the ones saying that you don't see a problem.
    Actually, this is the whole point. Anything that is self-critical of our community is seen as coonish these days. It didn't used to be that way, and it's ? . Black people have always been the most open and honest of any group, and it's how we've improved ourselves over the years.
    So-called ? are just black people who have who have been particularly harmed by white supremacy. Or at least, most are. The historical context here is everything. So in dehistoricizing this Rock makes it appear that '? ' just appear out of nowhere, and for this he deserves our everlasting reproach.
    ? = people who ain't about ? in life

I don't know where they hell you grew up, but there are a tons of ? in hoods across America. Just like there are tons of rednecks across America too. This isn't even a race thing, it's a life purpose thing. Most Black people go to work, support their families, etc, like everyone else. But we have a small minority who ain't about ? in life, and ? them. White people don't cape for rednecks, so why should we cape for lowlifes in our community.

Simply put, we need to self-police our community from low-lifes(because we know the regular cops won't do ? ). We let too much ? slide and then run campaigns to "understand" those messing up ? in our neighborhoods. And we should be criticizing people for shining lights on things, quite the oppostie.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look in that crowd
    it's damn near 100% black
    he was talking amongst his people and speaking real ?
    was there a bit of hyperbole? sure
    but y'all know the "? " he was referring to

the ? that ? eachother over senseless ?
    the ? who killed that child weeks ago because they had a beef with his father
    the ? that steal from others who worked hard for what they have
    the ? that are shamelessly ignorant
    the ? who sell drugs to their own killing their community
    and so on

are we really giving these ? a pass? why can't we call them out? ? hurting our "image". they're hurting us
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Actually, this is the whole point. Anything that is self-critical of our community is seen as coonish these days. It didn't used to be that way, and it's ? . Black people have always been the most open and honest of any group, and it's how we've improved ourselves over the years.

This.

How are we going to improve as a community if we can't even look in the mirror and make adjustments?

Or have an honest conversation...

Is ALL the reponsibility external?

We are more than the result of white supremacy and its systemic affects.

We are people with free will, not a literal product of our respective environments.

Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I believe he said he regret ever doing that skit because of how people took it and the way racists refer to use it as a solid proof of what they are doing is good for the betterment.

Couldn't agree more. It's sad how whites twisted and used it to fit their own racist narrative. For that reason, maybe he should have treaded more carefully- given his platform and influence...

That doesn't mean it isn't funny ...

Or that his point is void of any merit...

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look in that crowd

and so on

are we really giving these ? a pass? why can't we call them out? ? hurting our "image". they're hurting us

Whoa chill, the white man made them ? that kid. White supremacy made them steal that TV.

They have no choice....
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    ? = people who ain't about ? in life

I don't know where they hell you grew up, but there are a tons of ? in hoods across America. Just like there are tons of rednecks across America too. This isn't even a race thing, it's a life purpose thing. Most Black people go to work, support their families, etc, like everyone else. But we have a small minority who ain't about ? in life, and ? them. White people don't cape for rednecks, so why should we cape for lowlifes in our community.

Simply put, we need to self-police our community from low-lifes(because we know the regular cops won't do ? ). We let too much ? slide and then run campaigns to "understand" those messing up ? in our neighborhoods. And we should be criticizing people for shining lights on things, quite the oppostie.

I have no problem with being self-critical, but if you are gonna act like "black lowlifes," as you call them, just exist as white ones do, then I'm going to have a big problem, for they are in truth the creation of white oppression. So it is very much a race thing.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree
    look in that crowd

and so on

Whoa chill, the white man made them ? that kid. White supremacy made them steal that TV.

They have no choice....

We can all agree no race has a monopoly on ignorance, but "? " didn't just sprout independently

A lot of the delinquent and self destructive behavior you referred to is the result of internalized racism, mental health issues such as PTSD, childhood abuse, etc

Places like Southside Chicago is the result of explicit, racially purposeful and at times inadvertently racist policy that was pursued at all levels of government

So subscribing to this distinction between "? " and "blk people" separating their shortcomings from the racism and other forms of oppression that produced them is dehumanizing

Same as when the media paints blk shooters as "thugs" or "militant" and empathizes with white mass shooters as the "mentally ill" who were victims of a failing mental health system

It also does nothing to address the conditions which produces "? "

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    It's just comedy.
    Mister B. wrote: »
    One of the best comedy routines done. He crushed that ? . I play that ? once a week on my iPod.

"I ain't lookin' over my back for the media....I'm lookin for ? !" Ted Koppel ain't never took ? from me....? have."

Wait...

So you agree with the notion certain black people are not worthy of basic levels of respect and deserve everything that comes to them?

Strawman

• S2J
    edited December 2015
    Agree
    LUClEN wrote: »
    One of the best comedy routines done. He crushed that ? . I play that ? once a week on my iPod.

"I ain't lookin' over my back for the media....I'm lookin for ? !" Ted Koppel ain't never took ? from me....? have."

Wait...

So you agree with the notion certain black people are not worthy of basic levels of respect and deserve everything that comes to them?

Strawman

Lmao

I been told yall, when a mfer start a sentence with 'wait', and/or

'So you sayin', THEY REACHIN!!!
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just comedy.

I say its just comedy because you know what .... I f*ckin laughed ...lol.... No FG's either.
    Im happy that I could laugh about it to.

On a basic level that joke is hilarious

Growing up in Bmore watching people you know go to jail or get murdered...
    I wasn't looking for whitey and the media when my mom got robbed at the ATM. I wasn't looking for the cops because they didn't come to our neighborhoods. The fact that I can laugh at Chris Rocks joke is a relief to me cause the hood was rough.!

Did this joke single handedly help bring additional destruction to the black community. NO .Does this joke ignore the greater context to why our communities are in the shape they're in as a whole. Yes, but that doesn't make the joke any less funny to me imo.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just comedy.
    ? been saying ? like that and they ain't even trying to tell jokes. Chris Rock did not pull this from his ass.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just comedy.
    I love it man. The ability to speak freely and address big fat gigantic elephants in the room.

The only problem is ....that admission and conversation left the black community.

Similar to rappers who rap the truth then if they blow and it gets out to the masses

So if TODAY, Black Girl Lost is covered on CNN and goes mainstream , does that change how YOU feel about? Make it any less true?

So when Nas says:

Would the fact that white people get a hold of that change what YOU feel about it? Foh If so them crackas own you and you the real sellout, not Chris Rock.

How do u get away with not being called a ? by these folks?
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    It's just comedy.
    Ima just wait for the Coming to America thread to be made.

Akeem was from a hypothetical Country called Zamunda with a pet elephant name Babaar... and he claimed that he made a living as a Goat herder.

The sh*t was funny in 88 and I can still laugh at it 27 years later even if some of the jokes are insensitive.
    But if someone made the same exact movie today. Hell would break loose.
  • desertrain10
    Disagree
    LUClEN wrote: »

Wait...

Strawman

I just was just looking for him to clarify his position

Anyways...

How u do feel about the whole "? " vs" black people" routine?

Add something of worth to the discussion
  • S2J
    edited December 2015
    Agree

So when Nas says:

Well im not one so that helps, but im also too honest and they know im right. I say what people not bold enough to say. Also they know they arms not long enough to box lls Typical reaction when i post:

258bf345_AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

? know i got these bars
  • desertrain10
    Disagree

I say its just comedy because you know what .... I f*ckin laughed ...lol.... No FG's either.

I wasn't looking for whitey and the media when my mom got robbed at the ATM. I wasn't looking for the cops because they didn't come to our neighborhoods. The fact that I can laugh at Chris Rocks joke is a relief to me cause the hood was rough.!

Did this joke single handedly help bring additional destruction to the black community. NO .Does this joke ignore the greater context to why our communities are in the shape they're in as a whole. Yes, but that doesn't make the joke any less funny to me imo.

I dunno

“I hide my money in books. Why? Because ? don’t read”

I just don't such lines funny coming from any person, even if that person is a ?

No matter the intent

Especially when I'm just another ? to those who haven't had the pleasure of getting to know me
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What i hated about it, when i was in the service, white people would always want to talk about it and quote it.

The Office - Michael's Chris Rock Routine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeQIQuDL8aA
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

I dunno

I just don't such lines funny coming from any person, even if that person is a ?

No matter the intent

Especially when I'm just another ? to those who haven't had the pleasure of getting to know me

I was laughing after reading that quote. Lmao. That was funny.

You didn't think that was funny? "? don't read" lmao

"A civil war, black people vs ? "...lmao

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just comedy.
    I don't really like Chris Rock and I don't believe all comedy or entertainment should be taken seriously, in fact most of it is just what it is...entertainment.

While I don't like that "? " exist, they do exist. Now you can blame circumstances, white supremacy or whatever you want but I'm just as black as the guy who sells dope to someone who is just as black as himself. Im just as black as the thugs who shoot at kids or shoot at each other. Im just as black as the people who shoot up clubs here in Detroit damm near every weekend.

That said, what super special white supremacy affects them but has no effect on me or the majority of other Black people?

The vast majority of Black folks dont and dont even consider doing the ? these "? " do.

They exist, it is what it is. You want to blame white folks? Fine but ignoring niggerism and constantly excusing ? ? isn't helping and won't help.

I had a cousin who told me he would rather rob than work, when did white folks send that memo out because I swear me, my friends, brothers and other cousins didn't get it. He a ? ? ...period. If he wasn't my cousin I could be on the list.

I have another cousin that DID rob another one of our cousins and she was ? during the robbery (home invasion) by his homeboys who he brought with him. No white people were involved...except the cops who arrested his punk ass.

What super special white supremacy made this ? happen?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

We can all agree no race has a monopoly on ignorance, but "? " didn't just sprout independently

No one said that...

look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

...subscribing to this distinction between "? " and "blk people" separating their shortcomings from the racism and other forms of oppression that produced them is dehumanizing

People are not "produced" ...

Circumstances can provide significant obstacles ... But we are not our circumstances.

look in that crowd

and so on

They have no choice....

It also does nothing to address the conditions which produces "? "

Definitely true.
    But a comedy skit does little at all besides entertain.

What CAN do something, is shifting the overall mindset to not make excuses for the "? " destroying our communities.

YES, white supremacy is the leading contributing factor. But we are not helpless ...

And EVERYTHING is not the "white man's" fault
  • S2J
    Agree

So when Nas says:

Well im not one so that helps, but im also too honest and they know im right. I say what people not bold enough to say. Also they know they arms not long enough to box lls Typical reaction when i post:

258bf345_AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

? know i got these bars

Lol

You're not nearly as smart or enlightened or as bold as you think you are

Bc you're a woman people are afraid to tell you this:

When it comes to 'debates', you're an ? .

And i say that in the spirit of fairness bc i'd tell the same to a dude who posts like you. You should be flattered Im addressing you as an equal and not tiptoeing around your ? , aka patronizing you

Stop rage debating with ? logic and flawed rebuttals
  • desertrain10
    Disagree

I dunno

No matter the intent

I was laughing after reading that quote. Lmao. That was funny.

You didn't think that was funny? "? don't read" lmao

"A civil war, black people vs ? "...lmao

Why?

Seriously....