Losing the essence...

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    I'm taking your mixtape with me on my trip, so I will definitely listen to it!
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited June 2010
    alright heres my review.....excuse the length of it but im sure u took time to make the mix so the least i could do was take time for a a review i split the review into two parts since most of the songs i am familiar with i gave my thoughts on each individual song then the cd as a whole
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Ahh well, doesn't look like my thread is going to be approved anytime soon. Here's my mix:

RuffDraftPresentsSinceWeLastSpoke.jpg

Ruff Draft Presents... Since We Last Spoke

Tracklist:

1. Since We Last Spoke - RJD2
    not much to be said...sets the tempo for the cd and what man in his right mind doesn't like rjd2

2. Greenland - Emancipator

another dope instrumental almost sounds like music from one of my favorite games ever chrono cross....one of the few songs i have not heard...now i have a new artist in my playlist

3. Resurrect Me - Braille

believe it or not braille is actually a christian rapper....a dope one at that, it took me awhile to get used to his voice but once you do your happy u didnt write him off because of it...this song is VERY heartfelt and i actually hadnt heard it before(very rare for that to happen lol) this song WILL become one of my favorites

4. Breath - Grouch

the grouch....best member of living legends imo....that cd show you the world was dope.....this song itself is actually tied for my favorite song on the cd and actually this is probaly my favorite grouch song.."but keeping up with the neighbors wont save ya im deep enough to know myself now thats major/and im proud of me/no male figure to teach me how to be/oh well/to eager to reach outerly/i shouldve known if all was good at home i wouldnt have grown"....hell the whole song is a quotable glad to see the grouch is being heard

5. All I Want in This World - Cradle Orchestra Featuring CL Smooth

Im a sucker for live orchestras what can i say lol ive had this cd for a while and while it was not my favorite track it was in the top 3

6. Father - Fashawn

heard rave reviews but never gave him a listen...until now fits in perfect with the mix but not too sure if i would listyen to a whole cd of him...but will give boy meets world a try

7. Us - Brother Ali Featuring Stokley Williams

hands down my favorite albino rapper lol good choice of song

8. Still Love - Soulstice

just got into soulstice not too long ago defintly gonna have to check this japan release out

9. Meridian Sound (Part One) - Lushlife

cassette city ftw didnt know anybody knew about lushlife

10. Ghostwriter - RJD2

rjd2....nuff said

11. I Rock - Open Mike Eagle

never heard of him before he sounds like he coulve been on a def jux release....translation im gettin the cd asap lol

12. Slums - The Reavers

underrated cd not much to say except i love the song

13. Summertime Running - Mos Dub (Mos Def produced by Max Tannone)

cant believe i didnt know this existed...well i do now and its in heavy rotation

14. On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz
    im 50/50 on the gorillaz kinda got to be in a happy mood to listen to em...i mustve been happy cuz all 4 times i seemed to like it

15. Cold War - Janelle Monae

when i first saw the tracklist i wonderd how she got in there....i listened to how well it flowed with the mix and answered my own question

16. Learning How To Fall - Grieves

decent song

17. Sunday Money - Custom Made

hmmm never heard of him before i liked the song so i will check him out

18. Warm Up - All Natural

females cant rap?....yea jus check this track out n watch that opinion change(she reminds me of apani)

19. Life's A ? - Fashawn & DJ Green Lantern

imma have to be honest here.....hated the song...not that its not a good song but i hate when artist do this type of thing(reks,joel ortiz)

20. Black Sands - Bonobo
    perfect way to end a dope mix

Hope you enjoy it. Post Feedback here if you like, as it doesn't seem to me that I can make threads...

overall....i dont think i have to tell u how dope the mix was....kinda got me scared to post mine cuz it might pale in comparision lol

i listend to it 4 times(workin on computers for a livin u find ALOT of free time)...i pick up on little things some may have even been unintentional but genius none the less.....for instance how u went from brailles song resurrect me which is a somber song talking about bring me back to life then the next song is the grouch breath which literally feels like a breath of fresh air kinda in the sense that u are being brought back to life or awakening

the addition of janelle monae was perfect u guessed right...fans of good music are fans of good music plain in simple

props on the mix
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    I have a brand new track from Donwill of Tanya Morgan!

Recess (Sene x TheClubhouse) – Dance Pants f. Donwill
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    alright heres my review.....excuse the length of it but im sure u took time to make the mix so the least i could do was take time for a a review i split the review into two parts since most of the songs i am familiar with i gave my thoughts on each individual song then the cd as a whole

overall....i dont think i have to tell u how dope the mix was....kinda got me scared to post mine cuz it might pale in comparision lol

i listend to it 4 times(workin on computers for a livin u find ALOT of free time)...i pick up on little things some may have even been unintentional but genius none the less.....for instance how u went from brailles song resurrect me which is a somber song talking about bring me back to life then the next song is the grouch breath which literally feels like a breath of fresh air kinda in the sense that u are being brought back to life or awakening

the addition of janelle monae was perfect u guessed right...fans of good music are fans of good music plain in simple

props on the mix

lol man, thanks a lot for the detailed comments, was an interesting read.

Nahhh, post it up!! Sure it will be great, I can't wait for it, I need to hear some new music.

LOL I can't believe you picked up on that, that was intentional, funny. I spend a lot of time putting the tracks into a tracklist and that same comparison clicked when I was putting it together. I find some mixes in-cohesive, which is a shame, but at the same time, not many people have the time to do it and it's more so something that I enjoy doing (I find it an escape from work). It's all the more worthwhile when people pick up on it, so I'm glad you did. Same goes with Janelle Monae, it keeps the mood carrying over. I had to take two Rhymefest tracks out of the mix because I couldn't find a fit for them. I also placed the Cradle Orchestra track next to Fashawn's as the kid on Cradle Orchestra's song finishes the track singing acapella, which then goes into a song about a father... the kid was symbolic of Fashawn. But I'm just a huge nerd.

I'm really happy that you found some new artists, I know you're up on your underground hip hop, figured there might be a few I could recommend to you. Good to hear that you're into Lushlife too, their CD is so well produced.

I couldn't decide on a track to put out from his mixtape (Fashawn), but I thought it was well done considering what beat he's going over. Please don't let this affect your judgement, Boy Meets World is one of my favourite CD's of last year, pretty much my favourite and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Looking forward to your mix!!
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited June 2010
    if u want i could drop mine this week then u could drop urs on monday like an every monday type thing start the week off right lol

im bout to give kennas mix a third listen this mornin then drop my thoughts

yea ill post it up next monday to get us through the workweek
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    yea ill post it up next monday to get us through the workweek

Look forward to it :tu
  • mephistopheles
    mephistopheles Members Posts: 97
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone been listen to Madlib's Medicine Show series? One album a month for 2010.

:damn
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone been listen to Madlib's Medicine Show series? One album a month for 2010.

I can't keep up with them, as well as other albums!!

J57 at FatBeats said that they are fire!! I got the first month which is pretty good!
  • ninjasenses
    edited June 2010

I have it dl'd but damn im just overflowin with new ? right now...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010

Yeah, I've got May's edition. I can't keep up with it either!! Looking forward to the summer so I can go through them all. Imagine they're top notch, he's taken on quite a target, very cool of him though.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010

I OWN all 6 (Jan - June)...

Madlib >>>...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I OWN all 6 (Jan - June)...

Madlib >>>...

Which one is your favourite?
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2010
    Which one is your favourite?

The reggae dub mix... I think that's either 3 or 4
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010

Nice, I'll check for it.

Good to see you back in these parts too :tu

You checked the mix on page 4?
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2010
    Nice, I'll check for it.

Good to see you back in these parts too :tu

You checked the mix on page 4?

Yep... I'll def DW

Just ordered the Fashawn album... just off good vibes on this forum

expecting it next week...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Yep... I'll def DW

Just ordered the Fashawn album... just off good vibes on this forum

expecting it next week...

DW?

Nice pick, Fashawn's album is very, very good IMO, but I'd definitely just let your ears do the listening and just try to experience it from a fresh point of view.
  • ninjasenses
    edited June 2010

speaking of DUB...that mos dub song is sick kenna!! Im gonna give the full album a listen this week
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2010
    DW?
    Nice pick, Fashawn's album is very, very good IMO, but I'd definitely just let your ears do the listening and just try to experience it from a fresh point of view.

I meant download LOL... my bad (DL)

The new Dead Prez tape with Drama is dope too...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    speaking of DUB...that mos dub song is sick kenna!! Im gonna give the full album a listen this week

Funky isn't it?

Massive fan of the full album, ten great tracks...
    rip.dilla wrote:
    I meant download LOL... my bad (DL)

The new Dead Prez tape with Drama is dope too...

haha no problem, look forward to your thoughts.... I'll have to check for Dead Prez, I enjoyed their track from 'Pulse of the People':
  • cheechi
    cheechi Members Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    legendary producer easy mo bee just signed a new artist, check it out www.bbrecordsinc.com
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited July 2010
    I'm relatively new here but yeah...I stumbled on this site hoping to find other like minded HipHop fans. But this site is lacking in balance and it mostly seems like another payola site pandering to the mainstream.

I love Atmosphere. I hear Slug had a new baby so he has taken some time off. The new Brother Ali is dope. It's a classic in my opinion. Same with the new POS. Haven't been feeling Cage but I dig that he experiments. Sad to hear about Def Jux. I've been listening to ILLUS a lot. His new album with JJ Brown is dope, Feel Good Music. Trying to give him some shine. The new Fashawn is also dope and I am loving anything from Blu.

You should def check Illus and also look out for godAwful. His new one on Bandcamp is siiiiick.
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited July 2010
    Ahh well, doesn't look like my thread is going to be approved anytime soon. Here's my mix:

RuffDraftPresentsSinceWeLastSpoke.jpg

Ruff Draft Presents... Since We Last Spoke

Tracklist:

1. Since We Last Spoke - RJD2

2. Greenland - Emancipator

3. Resurrect Me - Braille

4. Breath - Grouch

5. All I Want in This World - Cradle Orchestra Featuring CL Smooth

6. Father - Fashawn

7. Us - Brother Ali Featuring Stokley Williams

8. Still Love - Soulstice

9. Meridian Sound (Part One) - Lushlife

10. Ghostwriter - RJD2

11. I Rock - Open Mike Eagle

12. Slums - The Reavers

13. Summertime Running - Mos Dub (Mos Def produced by Max Tannone)

14. On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz

15. Cold War - Janelle Monae

16. Learning How To Fall - Grieves

17. Sunday Money - Custom Made

18. Warm Up - All Natural

19. Life's A ? - Fashawn & DJ Green Lantern

20. Black Sands - Bonobo

Hope you enjoy it. Post Feedback here if you like, as it doesn't seem to me that I can make threads...

Dope mix!! A lot of nice tracks here for sure, much appreciated.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2010
    Dope mix!! A lot of nice tracks here for sure, much appreciated.

Thanks Beats, good to see you back! You fancy doing a playlist yourself for next week?
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Beats, good to see you back! You fancy doing a playlist yourself for next week?

I've been mad busy at work but I should have one ready before the weekend.