5x5 workout

Copper
Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Weight Room
StrongLifts 5×5 is a foolproof training program guaranteed to pack on solid muscle and raw strength... while burning body fat... regardless of your age, genetics and bodytype... in only 3 workouts a week of 45 minutes each.

I know you’re skeptical - who wouldn't be, with all the muscle magazines filled with outrageous claims like this. But StrongLifts 5x5 is different. It is NOT like anything else you've seen before.
1.Gain Raw Strength. You'll add 100 pounds to your lifts every month and become stronger than 99% of the guys in your gym (even those steroid-drenched jerks who spend more time with their drug-suppliers than on training). This strength will make you a better runner, fighter, golfer (or whatever your sport is) and picking up or carrying stuff will be easier.
2.Build Solid Muscle. You'll pack on 25 pounds of raw, dense muscle your first year of StrongLifts 5x5... even if you have lousy genetics or have been training for several years. And because muscle is denser than fat, you'll look slimmer despite your weight increasing by a few pounds!
3.Burn Off BodyFat. Your bodyfat will plummet without doing that boring cardio, and while gaining muscle and strength. Your man ? and belly fat will vanish and you'll look more athletic at the same body-weight... all while eating like a horse... and without skipping your favorite foods.
4.Increase Fitness. StrongLifts 5x5 will skyrocket your fitness levels by increasing your muscle strength and endurance. As a result, you'll be in better shape than almost all of your friends, you'll even be able to easily run 3 miles any time you want (without actually training for it).
5.Improve Health. Stronger joints, denser bones, better posture, higher libido, lower blood pressure and more flexibility. Hundreds of StrongLifts Members have gone as far as eliminating nagging lower back pain as well as knee and shoulder pain with the StrongLifts 5x5 program.
7.Save Time & Money. StrongLifts 5x5 yields results in only 3 workouts a week, without bogus supplements or fancy machines. Heck, you'll save even more time and money if you invest in cheap home gym equipment and do StrongLifts 5x5 in your garage or basement. No more gym fees, no more driving back & forth, no more waiting for equipment to be free.

Here's how StrongLifts 5x5 will work for you: three times per week, you will go to the gym and do 3 full body exercises for sets of 5 reps. The first 4 weeks, you will lift lighter weights so you can focus on mastering and perfecting technique, and prepare your body for heavy weights. You won't have to remember complicate routines... in fact, you'll always alternate between the same 2 workouts...

Workout A Workout B
Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5

im gonna give this a try and see if I see results within a month also im gonna change my diet up alil. this along with the right diet is supposed to show results in strength and size within a month ( I dont wanna get a whole lot bigger though) also improve endurance wich is what im most skeptical about. 45 min to an hour is usually what I do everyworkout any way but I usually isolate muscle groups in one workout and do 6 diff workouts 12 times each.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
link for full article

Comments

• UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    StrongLifts 5×5 is a foolproof training program guaranteed to pack on solid muscle and raw strength... while burning body fat... regardless of your age, genetics and bodytype... in only 3 workouts a week of 45 minutes each.

I know you’re skeptical - who wouldn't be, with all the muscle magazines filled with outrageous claims like this. But StrongLifts 5x5 is different. It is NOT like anything else you've seen before.
    1.Gain Raw Strength. You'll add 100 pounds to your lifts every month and become stronger than 99% of the guys in your gym (even those steroid-drenched jerks who spend more time with their drug-suppliers than on training). This strength will make you a better runner, fighter, golfer (or whatever your sport is) and picking up or carrying stuff will be easier.
    2.Build Solid Muscle. You'll pack on 25 pounds of raw, dense muscle your first year of StrongLifts 5x5... even if you have lousy genetics or have been training for several years. And because muscle is denser than fat, you'll look slimmer despite your weight increasing by a few pounds!
    3.Burn Off BodyFat. Your bodyfat will plummet without doing that boring cardio, and while gaining muscle and strength. Your man ? and belly fat will vanish and you'll look more athletic at the same body-weight... all while eating like a horse... and without skipping your favorite foods.
    4.Increase Fitness. StrongLifts 5x5 will skyrocket your fitness levels by increasing your muscle strength and endurance. As a result, you'll be in better shape than almost all of your friends, you'll even be able to easily run 3 miles any time you want (without actually training for it).
    5.Improve Health. Stronger joints, denser bones, better posture, higher libido, lower blood pressure and more flexibility. Hundreds of StrongLifts Members have gone as far as eliminating nagging lower back pain as well as knee and shoulder pain with the StrongLifts 5x5 program.
    7.Save Time & Money. StrongLifts 5x5 yields results in only 3 workouts a week, without bogus supplements or fancy machines. Heck, you'll save even more time and money if you invest in cheap home gym equipment and do StrongLifts 5x5 in your garage or basement. No more gym fees, no more driving back & forth, no more waiting for equipment to be free.

Here's how StrongLifts 5x5 will work for you: three times per week, you will go to the gym and do 3 full body exercises for sets of 5 reps. The first 4 weeks, you will lift lighter weights so you can focus on mastering and perfecting technique, and prepare your body for heavy weights. You won't have to remember complicate routines... in fact, you'll always alternate between the same 2 workouts...

Workout A Workout B
    Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5

im gonna give this a try and see if I see results within a month also im gonna change my diet up alil. this along with the right diet is supposed to show results in strength and size within a month ( I dont wanna get a whole lot bigger though) also improve endurance wich is what im most skeptical about. 45 min to an hour is usually what I do everyworkout any way but I usually isolate muscle groups in one workout and do 6 diff workouts 12 times each.

link for full article

5 sets of 5???
  • Copper
    edited December 2011
    5 sets of 5???

yup 5 reps 5 sets 1 workout
    doesnt sound like much but when added up it comes close the the same amount of reps I been doing plus u supposed to increase wieght every month or few weeks
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    lol reading the description makes it sound like complete ?

but yea this is a old school workout that can put on some nice muscle if u really put in the effort...like always if u wanna see ur lifts go up and physique really change u must eat
  • Copper
    edited December 2011
    its pretty much strength training
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    that's a tried and true method that definitely gives results given your diet is on point.

Basically you do 5 sets of 5 reps and every session, attempt to add 5 more lbs to the bar.

i.e., lets say you're doing squats:

warm up sets
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    work sets
    225 x 5
    245 x 5
    260 x 5

next session
    warm up sets
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    work sets
    230 x 5
    250 x 5
    265 x 5

you might follow that up with another compound and couple of accessory leg moves for that workout (i.e., romanian deads or leg press, leg curls, leg extensions)

The same type of progression would apply to bench press, military presses, deadlifts, weighted pullups, or any other of your core compound moves in your workout.
  • Copper
    edited December 2011
    appreciated^^

imma give it a try along with the diet
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited December 2011
    Good info here, thank you. I always like to learn about new tips.
  • bscoop
    bscoop Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Excellent post....its actually one of the better workout progams for beginners as well as intermediate and advanced lifters....i did this program from Oct to Jan and was able to get up to 300 pretty easily....havent done it since then but it does blow you up pretty quick....got lots of compliments back then......
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
  • Copper
    its been working aswell as expected gained about 9lbs of muscle and its the 3rd month
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Soon as I get my weight to where I'm comfortable, I'm either doing this or PHAT. I wanna get to like 165-170 first

Got 20 pounds to go :(
  • Mr. Insignificant
    Mr. Insignificant Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    It works....I'll jump on 'em at least twice a year
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »

Workout A Workout B
    Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5

link for full article

If you had say injuries and reoccuring ones as I do, wehen just at work etc, in various parts of the body, is it ok to try lifting a moderate weight following this routine, BUT say doing more reps per set.. like 5 sets of 12 reps??

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for those people who are getting mobile again.

Or power lifting.

If you are trying to gain a physique this is the wrong routine.

YEah read some stuff on it is good for beginners to gain strength first before moulding say their physiques

I might try it for a while..

Just done couple weeks of full body workout stuff, basic, with dumbbells at home. Not into the gym life. But skinny as ? , 35yrs old, few back muscle ? comes and goes, so looking to strenghten the bdy up
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    This is for those people who are getting mobile again.

Or power lifting.

If you are trying to gain a physique this is the wrong routine.

What's the best routine for physique then?