Video: Los Angeles Deputy Shoots Partner, Blames Suspect; Both ? Suspect in Retaliation...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.ocweekly.com/news/new-video-footage-shows-noel-aguilar-shot-from-behind-by-la-county-sheriff-deputy-in-long-beach-6844726
Gruesome cellphone video has surfaced showing the fatal deputy-involved shooting of Noel Aguilar in Long Beach last year. Around 10 a.m. on May 26, 2014, Aguilar rode his bike near 69th Way and Long Beach Boulevard when two Los Angeles County Sheriff Deputies tried to stop him for wearing headphones. After an initial struggle, the 23-year-old fled by foot. When deputies caught up to Aguilar, they tried to arrest him. "During that handcuffing process, Mr. Aguilar broke free and he grabbed onto one of the deputy's guns," LA Sheriff's Department Lt. Steve Jauch told NBC4-TV back on June 6, 2014.

Cellphone footage obtained by the Weekly starts rolling when deputies are on top of Aguilar after the foot chase. "Is it a gun?" deputy Albert Murad asks his partner Jose Ruiz. "It's a gun, it's a gun," Ruiz responds. "You ? move, I'm going to ? you ? ," Ruiz tells Aguilar. The two deputies attempt to cuff Aguilar when he wiggles his hand free. Aguilar tries to get up, holding on to the gated fence nearby. Moments later, after a gunshot rings out, deputy Murad screams and says he has just being shot in the stomach. "I didn't shoot nobody," Aguilar says.

After more struggling, Aguilar turns to his side and asks why deputy Ruiz has pulled out his gun out. The deputy then fires a shot into Aguilar's stomach. His partner quickly reaches for his own gun and fires three shots at Aguilar. The deputies can be heard saying to each other that Aguilar had tried to grab a hold of their weapons. Authorities said that Aguilar's gun had been recovered from the scene.

"The first shot is not justified because the victim is very vulnerable, he's on his side," Angel Carrazco, an attorney representing Aguilar's mother and child, tells the Weekly. "The other three shots from the back, every single one of those is unjustified. For me, it seems like it's murder."

The footage shared by Carrazco's Tustin-based law firm has been enhanced, slowed down in key spots and transcribed. "We got the video through an independent witness that was there," he says. "This is evidence that we've had in the last twenty days." Carrazco is handing the new evidence over to the Department of Justice, FBI, U.S. Attorney's office and the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office in hopes of bringing criminal charges against the deputies involved. The attorney is already in litigation for a civil suit brought on behalf of Aguilar's family.

The day after the shooting, the Orange County Register ran a headline on the Aguilar killing that says the man, a documented gang member, had shot the deputy on scene. Further investigation by the LASD showed that the gunfire came from the other deputy's weapon and that Aguilar's weapon hadn't been discharged.

How the deputies handled Aguilar after he had been shot is also a matter of concern, Carrazco says. "He's facing down after being shot four times and they're on top of him," Carrazco says. "There needs to be a medical conclusion to find out whether they were trying to get him to asphyxiate or bleed to death. By the video, it seems like they were trying to do both." Aguilar can be heard screaming, "I'm dying!" while onlookers berate the deputies in English and Spanish that they shot him in the back and to get off him because he's dying.

The family of Noel Aguilar protested the shooting in the streets of Long Beach alongside activists. "We want justice for the family," Carrazco says, in the form of criminal prosecution. "I believe police brutality has been going on for years," the attorney adds. "Filming has changed the game because an image will tell a thousand words."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-Xg-Ga1a8

Comments

• stringer bell
    https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/12/los-angeles-deputy-shoots-partner-blames-suspect-both-? -suspect-in-retaliation/
    A disturbing video emerged Friday showing two Los Angeles sheriff’s deputies killing a man after they had chased him for riding a bicycle while wearing headphones.

The incident took place more than a year ago with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department initially telling the media that they shot and killed 23-year-old Noel Aguilar, a “known gang member,” after he pulled out a gun and shot a deputy.

But now a video shows the two deputies struggling to arrest Aguilar when one deputy pulls out his gun and shoots the second deputy before placing his gun back into its holster, then placing the blame on Aguilar.

“Where’s the gun?” Los Angeles sheriff’s deputy Jose Ruiz asked Aguilar seconds after his partner announced he had been shot.

“I don’t have any,” Aguilar said.

“I’ve been shot,” yelled Albert Murade for the second time.

“I didn’t shoot nobody,” responded Aguilar.

“I got shot in the stomach,” Murade continued.

“I didn’t shoot nobody,” Aguilar insisted.

Ruiz then pulled his gun back out and pointed it at Aguilar in an obvious attempt to shut him up.

“C’mon man, why you pulling a gun on me,” Aguilar asked.

Ruiz shoots him in the stomach, prompting Murade, who is already angry at having been shot, to fire three bullets into Aguilar’s back.

That sparks angry shouts of protest from witnesses, in English and in Spanish, saying Aguilar did nothing illegal.

“I’ve been shot,” Murade kept repeating now that the struggle was subsiding.

“I’m dying,” Aguilar said, fading away.

“Go sit down,” Ruiz told Murade, pushing his partner away while standing over Aguilar, comfortable he was now handcuffed and facedown, the life slowly slipping out of him, keeping his knee on his back just to be sure.

Murade took his advice and walked off-camera as the shouts of anger became more intense, demanding Ruiz remove the knee from Aguilar’s back.

But Ruiz went from keeping a single knee on Aguilar’s back to plopping his entire body on his back, remaining there for several minutes in a suffocating manner while furious witnesses ordered him off.

It was almost as if he was deliberately trying to squeeze the life out of Aguilar, whom he knew would never shut up about not having shot Murade.

Ruiz is eventually pried off Aguilar’s body by the swarming deputies who enter the scene with their guns pointed at witnesses, ordering them all back inside their homes, running up stairwells to chase people all away.

Or maybe even seize cameras. They had that familiar arrogance we have seen so many times before that they are above the law.

But it does not appear as if they saw the people who were recording, at least one of them appearing to be a woman, because that camera continued to record from an elevated position unmolested for at least eight minutes.

In fact, the footage probably runs longer but this is pretty much all we need to see.

Angel Carrazco, attorney for Aguilar’s family, released the footage to the The OC Weekly, saying he first saw the video three weeks ago, even though the incident took place on May 26, 2014 in Long Beach.

The footage shared by Carrazco’s Tustin-based law firm has been enhanced, slowed down in key spots and transcribed. “We got the video through an independent witness that was there,” he says. “This is evidence that we’ve had in the last twenty days.” Carrazco is handing the new evidence over to the Department of Justice, FBI, U.S. Attorney’s office and the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office in hopes of bringing criminal charges against the deputies involved. The attorney is already in litigation for a civil suit brought on behalf of Aguilar’s family.

How the deputies handled Aguilar after he had been shot is also a matter of concern, Carrazco says. “He’s facing down after being shot four times and they’re on top of him,” Carrazco says. “There needs to be a medical conclusion to find out whether they were trying to get him to asphyxiate or bleed to death. By the video, it seems like they were trying to do both.” Aguilar can be heard screaming, “I’m dying!” while onlookers berate the deputies in English and Spanish that they shot him in the back and to get off him because he’s dying.

The day after the shooting, the Orange County Register accused Aguilar of shooting the deputy because he was a “known gang member” as you can see in the image below.

But then the following month, the Los Angeles Times reported that deputy Murade had been shot by deputy Ruiz, not by Aguilar, whom they referred to as a “transient.”

But the sheriff’s department continued to insist that Aguilar had a gun, even if he didn’t shoot at it as they initially claimed. They also said he tried to grab one of their guns.

And they suggested that he may have even been the one who shot Murade with Ruiz’s gun.

But the video not only shows Ruiz shooting Murade, then blaming Aguila, it shows that Aguilar never reached for any of their guns.

• stringer bell
    edited December 2015
    UPDATE: On Wednesday, two days before this video was released, CNN published an article stating that “accidental shootings” increased 500 percent from 2012 to 2014 after the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department issued new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.

The article was based on a study funded by Los Angeles County, which states the following reasons those guns are “putting officers and the public at risk.”

–The weapon lacks an external safety;

–It’s more sensitive than the Beretta;

–And a light mounted to the gun and activated by deputies squeezing a pressure switch on the handle has led to confusion in some incidents, with “a significant number of deputies reporting that they unintentionally pulled the trigger of their weapon when they intended only to turn on the light.”

Here is a police report on the incident from earlier this year justifying the shooting.

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    UPDATE: On Wednesday, two days before this video was released, CNN published an article stating that “accidental shootings” increased 500 percent from 2012 to 2014 after the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department issued new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.

The article was based on a study funded by Los Angeles County, which states the following reasons those guns are “putting officers and the public at risk.”

–The weapon lacks an external safety;

–It’s more sensitive than the Beretta;

–And a light mounted to the gun and activated by deputies squeezing a pressure switch on the handle has led to confusion in some incidents, with “a significant number of deputies reporting that they unintentionally pulled the trigger of their weapon when they intended only to turn on the light.”

Here is a police report on the incident from earlier this year justifying the shooting.

If they don't do adequate acceptance testing then its partly their fault for choosing the M&P 9. Unless a higher up thought the gun was cool and recommended them so they ordered them (sad if that's the case). Would still be their fault if they don't field and beta test and take a survey of the officers.

Beyond that the incident is typical corrupt cop cover their ? and create a scapegoat ? .
    They have no credibility only the power in your fear of the gun and isolating u from society.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one that shot his partner needs the life in prison because it's all his fault for not saying what happen

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say its unacceptable.. but sadly thats not the case its acceptable..
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, they shot him at point blank range. Jesus.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont cops have tasers
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not even outraged cuz there's no way the pigs will get away with this.. That was First Degree Murder caught on film
  • stringer bell
    Damn...
    All this over riding a bike while wearing head phones

Only in Amerikkka...
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn...
    All this over riding a bike while wearing head phones

All they need is a reason to"arrest" you then it's all downhill from there

Word to Sandra Bland and Eric Garner
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over some damn headphones.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Im not even outraged cuz there's no way the pigs will get away with this.. That was First Degree Murder caught on film

Being caught on film means nothing...

Too much damning evidence this time. Clear video + The victims own words = "Pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon!"
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much damning evidence this time. Clear video + The victims own words = "Pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon!"

Same thing I thought the first time I saw tge Rodney King tape and we all know how that turned out
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This some straight three stooges ? .....
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator

Rodney King and Eric Garner would beg to differ.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »
    Something is wrong (or right depends on POV) if police in London are taking down armed terrorist w/o weapons in subways while we ? people riding bikes bc their wearing headphones.

Cops also need gun control

Cops need everything control. I don't know how the screening process is as weak as it is considering how high the responsibility to the public that they (are supposed to) have. ? like this is unacceptable and should not be tolerated in the least.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy thing if officers saw this video why would they be mad and continue to work with dude smh
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭