This Papoose Freestyle Is Kinda Hot!!!

5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
They shot the video at A-1 Records in the Village. Thats where I've been shopping for vinyl since they opened in 1996.

Otis Freestyle - Papoose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tzI7yuY64

I'll never understand how he didn't blow up.

Comments

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he could spit, no doubt about that, he can flow....but he can't put together a full song, let alone a whole album...both of his albums were disappointing, I gave the first one a pass because it was shelved for awhile but the 2nd was worse or just as bad....someone should let him write his own verses and someone else does everything else for him
  • 5 Grand
    I'll be honest, I never heard either of his albums but I was living in North Jersey circa 2003/04 and I used to go to 125th st every once in a while to cop mix tapes. I used to get Kay Slay tapes and this was when Kay Slay was putting out a new tape every week. There was always one or two Papoose freestyles along with one or two Saigon freestyles. I was expecting them both to blow up because of their heavy street presence.

Seems like all Pap needed was a hit single. He had the streets on lock.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I never heard either of his albums but I was living in North Jersey circa 2003/04 and I used to go to 125th st every once in a while to cop mix tapes. I used to get Kay Slay tapes and this was when Kay Slay was putting out a new tape every week. There was always one or two Papoose freestyles along with one or two Saigon freestyles. I was expecting them both to blow up because of their heavy street presence.

he killed the touch it remix back in the day, I thought that would put him towards the forefront of things but it didn't last long....his mixtapes were dope for awhile but like anything they even lost their quality after awhile

Saigon had warning shots which is great, but warning shots 2 came and it wasn't good, both are totally skilled on the microphone but seems they missed their shot
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    His first album was decent imo, 2nd one was trash. Jive ? up imo.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No hit records

That's what it always boil down to at the end of the day.
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? got bars at tha end of tha day
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    No hit records

So basically the record company didn't break bread to make the record a hit?
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pap deserved so much better between his signing with Jive and him finally droppin that album. It was ok but after all them years and what we expected outta him it was a disappointment. The second album felt like he went backwards and never really changed ? up. He can still spit and he has classic mixtapes, but his career overall is a big "What If?".
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

? dropped like 40 tapes in one yr
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OG Meek Mill with all that shouting
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Ohhhhhhh bucket nakeddddd
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    No hit records

What record?

Say, whatever politics involved in him not having a hit record still doesn't dismiss my answer to the question of the threadstarter. He didn't blow-up because he didn't have any hit records.

That's nice....

Sounds like the life of a great mixtape rapper.
  • endboss
    endboss Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭
    bck145 wrote: »

he killed the touch it remix back in the day, I thought that would put him towards the forefront of things but it didn't last long....his mixtapes were dope for awhile but like anything they even lost their quality after awhile

Saigon had warning shots which is great, but warning shots 2 came and it wasn't good, both are totally skilled on the microphone but seems they missed their shot

Warning shots two is not good? What are you smoking? Bring me down, another man down etc. Is all fire
  • 5 Grand
    5th Letter wrote: »
    No hit records

What record?

Say, whatever politics involved in him not having a hit record still doesn't dismiss my answer to the question of the threadstarter. He didn't blow-up because he didn't have any hit records.

That's nice....

Sounds like the life of a great mixtape rapper.

I agree that Papoose didn't have any "hits" in the true sense of the word "hit". But Alphabetic Slaughter was pretty big when it came out. But that was like a good 5 years before his album. If he dropped an album when Alphabetic Slaughter came out he would have made some noise. But he released a gang of mix tapes instead. It really didn't make any sense.

• Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt that Jive ? him up