How do you improve push-ups?

Options
#Kew
#Kew Members Posts: 299
edited June 2010 in The Weight Room
I'm 15lbs from getting in the Air force but I can only manage like 20 push-ups to their 40. I was wonder if anybody had any routines or exercises I can do to get more arm strength to knock out more push ups...

Comments

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I've heard its all in your breathing but IDK I hate push-ups and can only do about 20 myself once you lose those 15 lbs though I assume it will get easier
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    How much time do you have to double your push-up results? I'm also in the middle of doubling my push-up limit... gave myself 4 weeks. I used to be very good at them a few years back but I got a bit lazy and stopped pushing myself. I'm just doing a lot of push-ups everyday. For the first couple days, just stick to your limit and try to do those without getting tired. Do numerous sets in the same day. Then when you're feeling good, add another five to your limit and work on those. Every once in a while, it's good to do them to failure just to see how many you can do. I'm assuming you have at least a month to get this done... hopefully more. I'm 11 days in and I'm seeing good improvement; at this rate, I think I can get where I want to be after the 28 days.

Obviously, if you have access to other work-out equipment, it would be beneficially to do some other chest exercises. Whether it be bench press, flys, etc. Throw some tricep and shoulder workouts in there as well if you're really dedicated.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You iknow all you can do is keep doing them. Lift some weight but keep pushing your self everyday. Do them in intervals. 20 for 4 sets until you can do no more.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I love doing push-ups! I do 70 regular, 40 diamond and 40 knuckle push-ups in a row.
  • CharmCityCapt
    CharmCityCapt Members Posts: 68
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If 20 is yr usual max at this point, about 15 should b yr rep count. Do a good warm up, followed by 5 sets of 15 push ups. Rest no longer than 60 seconds between sets. Do them every other day or every second day of the week.
    You might b able 2 add another push up or 2 to yr rep count per week.
  • C.Melendez
    C.Melendez Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    do some quick jumping jacks first or anything else to get your blood flowing