Frank Miller Returns to Batman (The Dark Knight Returns III coming this Fall)

Broddie
Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Quite Comical
SUPERSTAR WRITER/ARTIST FRANK MILLER RETURNS TO BATMAN!

“THE DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE”
Completes Trilogy in Legendary “Dark Knight” Saga

DKIII_announcement_image_tall_553a98665e9df3.62191638.jpg?itok=s7K1MufU
DC Entertainment announced today that bestselling, iconic Batman writer and artist Frank Miller will write the epic conclusion of the celebrated THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS saga.

The “THE DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE” is the sequel to Miller’s 1986 classic THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS – heralded by TIME Magazine as one of the 10 greatest graphic novels of all time – and its 2001-2002 follow-up series BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN.

Miller will be joined by acclaimed writer Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, JOKER, and WONDER WOMAN) on the eight-issue comic book periodical, to be published twice a month under the DC Comics imprint. Marking the 30th anniversary of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS original series, this periodical is slated for publication beginning in late Fall 2015.

“Batman remains my favorite comic book hero and a sequel to Dark Knight is going to be daunting," said Miller, "but we’ll do our best.”

“We are thrilled to have Frank back home at DC writing Batman,” according to Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, Co-Publishers for DC Entertainment. “The story he and Brian have crafted is an astounding and triumphant conclusion to this seminal body of work which influenced and shaped generations of readers and creators alike.”

According to Azzarello, “It's been an amazing experience collaborating with Frank these past six months. I think we have an epic story that these characters truly deserve.”

Artists for the project have yet to be announced.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/24/superstar-writerartist-frank-miller-returns-to-batman

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always felt prequel showing how things lead to retirement etc would have been dope.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strikes Again was a train wreck. Hope it isn't like that
  • Broddie
    edited April 2015
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Always felt prequel showing how things lead to retirement etc would have been dope.

It already exist. It's called Batman: Year One and All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder.

Strikes Again was a train wreck. Hope it isn't like that

I liked it. But then again I also read Miller's Batman for what it is and not what I want it to be unlike many other Batman readers. It's definitely going to be out there and I like the fact that it took a completely different turn from the original which just can't ever be replicated. It's too much a product of it's time. It also explored some crazy concepts that raised interesting questions and very quirky characterizations (Ie: ? Grayson is a villain).

I think this new one will be a bit more back to basics. That's why they have one of the Miller disciples (Azzarello) helping him out this time. I bet he works as a filter for too much Millerisms. To use a rap allegory it's like when Redman made Muddy Waters after he lost some fans he gained with Whut?! thee album back when Dare Iz A Darkside came out.

I actually think with the S shield and the subname "master race" it would involve Lara (daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman) from TDKSA probably going all facist. There were always the hints and it was a big part of the Superman story in TDKSA

img_0592.jpg

There was a rumor a year ago that a new Miller Batman series would involve and even older Carrie Kelly going up against Superman's daughter.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    nujerz84 wrote: »

It already exist. It's called Batman: Year One and All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder.

Yeah they are part of the continuity and same universe but Neither story tells the tale/events that leads to Batman Retiring or how Ollie lost his Arm or why Green Lantern went away, what lead to ? being fired and being a villian etc.
  • Broddie
    Must say this has been really good far.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been wanting to get these but I cant find book one anywhere. Will just wait for the collection to drop.

Frank Miller is going to write a prequel and finish the Dark Knight with a book 4 correct?
  • Broddie
    I believe reprints of issue 1 shipped last week. Also the prequel books are a part of DK III. There is no DK IV this is just one massive project.