The United States should consider reparations to African-American descendants

2»

Comments

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Not only reparations they shouldn't be allowed to continue to benefit from the crimes of their ancestors either. That mean they need to give back all the stolen T land they have too

And are we going to give it back to the native Americans?

Something to that effect there's much detail that need to be fleshed out Lol

At least the natives are tax exempt and have reservations, at minimum descendants of slaves should be broken off with some land and other forms of ownership should be discussed
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I'm for reparations.

My only concern about reparations is that it can be used as a cover for the collapsing of the current economic system (if what some economists are saying is correct). Then the propaganda machine worldwide will blame black "Americans" for collapsing the economy. We'd basically end up with Zimbabwe money. Even if that happened, ? it tho because without (some of) our ancestors America would have never become the power house that it did so it'll just be a form of a reset. We'd just have to suffer through it.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only reparations they shouldn't be allowed to continue to benefit from the crimes of their ancestors either. That mean they need to give back all the stolen T land they have too

We are the native americans. Black people lived here for 50,000 years before anyone else.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the natives are tax exempt and have reservations, at minimum descendants of slaves should be broken off with some land and other forms of ownership should be discussed

What that creates is an environment still occupied by the government, and complacency among other issues that are problematic to our community

What's the end goal? Do we want our own? Or do we want Europeans to dictate how we live?
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

We are the native americans. Black people lived here for 50,000 years before anyone else.

I agree and disagree

My people specifically have not been in the Americas for over 50,000 years, in fact native Americans owned slaves as well as returned run away slaves to their masters or kept them as slaves to protect their land in the 1800s
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

What that creates is an environment still occupied by the government, and complacency among other issues that are problematic to our community

What's the end goal? Do we want our own? Or do we want Europeans to dictate how we live?

The end goal should be ownership and freedom from an oppressive system but for many the end goal is just a pair of Jordan's and/or women. Smh.

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm against reparations in the form of money...? would be disastrous
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »

why?
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

The end goal should be ownership and freedom from an oppressive system but for many the end goal is just a pair of Jordan's and/or women. Smh.

If black people got reparations we would buy all the corporations.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    They can repay me giving me A 1 credit and removing my Student Loan debt that alone can help me and my future children out
  • Stiff

why?

Because they would cut that money from somewhere to balance out...and just giving people money who aren't used to having it usually ends with them blowing it if they ain't got the money management skills like that. It'd be like the lottery..most lottery winners end up going broke. I feel like it'd be the same thing and it'd just make a bunch of corporations's profits surge.
  • leftcoastkev
    edited January 2016

why?

Because they would cut that money from somewhere to balance out...and just giving people money who aren't used to having it usually ends with them blowing it if they ain't got the money management skills like that. It'd be like the lottery..most lottery winners end up going broke. I feel like it'd be the same thing and it'd just make a bunch of corporations's profits surge.

i could be wrong here, but

Unless reparations are completely low balled (billions is low balling), that money would need to be borrowed from the Federal Reserve (with interest attached) and printed. There's no feasible way to balance it that I am aware of without compromising the security of the nation.

If the FED injects 100s of billions or trillions of additional dollars into the economy for the purposes of putting in our pockets, the value of the dollar goes down. Because collectively everyone has more, the price tag of goods goes up. Even if corporations profits surge, they will surge with a decreasing value to those dollars.

Not to mention, non blacks who are feeling the pinch of the current economy would feel it to an even greater degree if the value of the dollar goes down dramatically and they are not getting a comparable boost. As I said the price tag for things would go up where they can't afford it, so they'd become poor-er due to others having more. They'd likely riot, violently. I doubt reparations would ever occur unless what I just said is by design. As much as our ancestors worked for it and deserve it, the country can't afford to pay it.

• Stiff

why?

Unless reparations are completely low balled (billions is low balling), that money would need to be borrowed from the Federal Reserve (with interest attached) and printed. There's no feasible way to balance it that I am aware of without compromising the security of the nation.

If the FED injects 100s of billions or trillions of additional dollars into the economy for the purposes of putting in our pockets, the value of the dollar and goods obtainable goes down. Even if corporations profits surge, they will surge with a decreasing value of those dollars.

Not to mention, non blacks who are feeling the pinch of the current economy would feel it double if the value of the dollar goes down dramatically and they are not getting a boost. They'd likely riot, violently. I doubt reparations would ever occur unless what I just said is by design. As much as our ancestors worked for it and deserve it, the country can't afford to pay it.

When I imagine cash reparations I imagine like a million dollar check for every Black adult and an extra 500,000 to the adults for every kid or something like that. But yea you're probably right tho...? 's just not feasible without causing inflation and crashing the dollar.
  • leftcoastkev
    edited January 2016

why?

If the FED injects 100s of billions or trillions of additional dollars into the economy for the purposes of putting in our pockets, the value of the dollar and goods obtainable goes down. Even if corporations profits surge, they will surge with a decreasing value of those dollars.

Not to mention, non blacks who are feeling the pinch of the current economy would feel it double if the value of the dollar goes down dramatically and they are not getting a boost. They'd likely riot, violently. I doubt reparations would ever occur unless what I just said is by design. As much as our ancestors worked for it and deserve it, the country can't afford to pay it.

When I imagine cash reparations I imagine like a million dollar check for every Black adult and an extra 500,000 to the adults for every kid or something like that. But yea you're probably right tho...? 's just not feasible without causing inflation and crashing the dollar.

There are around 38m blacks in America.

IMO 1m a piece is really low, but if we rolled with that....38 million dollars shouldnt be too bad in terms of injecting into the economy as far as causing any type of real fluctuation.

Not too mention I'm sure prisons would happily accept the payouts on behalf of those incarcerated.

(Note:The 38m count of blacks in America does not make the distinction between blacks with direct lineage to former slaves and those without)
  • Stiff

why?

38 million dollars shouldnt be too bad in terms of injecting into the economy as far as causing any type of real fluctuation.

Not too mention I'm sure prisons would happily accept the payouts on behalf of those incarcerated.

(Note:The 38m count of blacks in America does not make the distinction between blacks with direct lineage to former slaves and those without)

that wouldn't be 38 million dollars...that'd be 1 million times 38 million which is like 38 trillion(?) .. that ? would sink everything
  • leftcoastkev

why?

38 million dollars shouldnt be too bad in terms of injecting into the economy as far as causing any type of real fluctuation.

that wouldn't be 38 million dollars...that'd be 1 million times 38 million which is like 38 trillion(?) .. that ? would sink everything

Lol yeah my bad. You're right.

38m x 1m ain't 38m. It's 38 trillion.

And 38 trillion changes everything.

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

why?

I do not know why people are worried about how someone else spend their money, if they blow through it that's on them. I'll take that check and triple up.