The Fact That The Movie 'Chiraq' Was So Bad.....

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    As weird and dumb as it was, it was his best movie since Inside Man

Sam Jackson & Dave Chappelle's cameo were best parts.

He shoulda never called it Chiraq. But he obviously titled it that to get some publicity. Thats the only reason anyone has been talking about this movie at all.

Spikes fall off has been real.

I will always remember him for Crooklyn & Clockers mostly

I have to disagree it wasn't his best. it was his weirdest also wtf at that musical " oh girl " musical number that was worse than that "good or bad hair" ? from school daze. I didn't appreciate that general king kong ? and I fast forwarded on that love making boxing match part. i'll have to read or see a film on that greek tragedy he based this on to understand where he's coming from with this but this is weird . weirder than any thing else he's done in movies like girl 6 , he got game with that team line up scene in the beginning, she hate me, etc......

I said its his best work since Inside Man

...he put out much trash after inside man
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was a little off. its not based on a greek tragedy but a greek comedy called lysistrata. its about a woman who holds off on the sex to end the violence of the Peloponnesian war.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I bought the Chi-raq dvd this weekend. I have to say I really like the movie. Some ? could've been left out or changed but overall that was a damn good movie IMO.

Even though its named Chi-raq the movie ain't just about the ? happening in Chicago hence Angela Bassett talking Bodymore and Killadelphia and a few other cities in the movie.

I agree with angela in that scene though I hate that "chiraq" ? . ? always proud of negative destructive ? . why would you be proud your city has that reputation?

When certain people are morally bankrupt they will take pride in damn anything that gets them noticed by the dominant group. Some even play it up more to get more attention no matter how they are being made to look like fools and being laughed at and not laughed with.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The movie wasn't bad. The biggest complaint was that he chose Chicago as the setting; I think he should've created a fictional city inspired by Chicago (and other cities).
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The movie wasn't bad. The biggest complaint was that he chose Chicago as the setting; I think he should've created a fictional city inspired by Chicago (and other cities).

Yea he shouldn't have attached the name Chiraq to it, or shot the movie
  • D. Morgan

No need to create a fictional city to address a real problem in Chicago and many other cities as well. The problems the movie is based off is bigger than Chicago which was stated in the movie. So in actuality the movie is not even about Chicago. Its about ALL black people who out here living like that.

Why some of yall so caught up on the name and not the damn message?

• TheGOAT
    No a fictional city would have been better but only half the people would have checked the movie.

Spike tried to play it both waus in interviews when he was getting backlash from Chi-natives. He was saying its not about Chicago... then why the ? is it called Chiraq?

He said its not a comedy... But it was

Satire = comedy

Nothing funny about kids murdering eachother in Chicago

And even tho he sets it in the Chi nothing about it was authentic to Chicago
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the movie got some alleys and gangways cleaned in the Chi
  • D. Morgan
    No a fictional city would have been better but only half the people would have checked the movie.

Spike tried to play it both waus in interviews when he was getting backlash from Chi-natives. He was saying its not about Chicago... then why the ? is it called Chiraq?

Satire = comedy

Because it is the city with the biggest name with a nationwide problem at the moment. California wasn't on the only place with a Crips and bloods problem but the movie was set in LA. The title is just an attention grabber.

Also a satire doesn't only equal comedy.

Simple Definition of satire
    : a way of using humor to show that someone or something is foolish, weak, bad, etc. : humor that shows the weaknesses or bad qualities of a person, government, society, etc.

: a book, movie, etc., that uses satire

Full Definition of satire
    : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn

: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Now which definition do you think Spike used for the movie?

No matter which one you think Spike used the message of both is some people are doing some ? ? .
  • TheGOAT
    I saw the movie

It was a comedy
  • D. Morgan
    I saw the movie

It was a comedy

Your opinion cool.

I saw it as well it wasn't a comedy. My opinion
  • TheGOAT
    edited February 2016
    I saw the movie

It was a comedy

Your opinion cool.

Bamboozled was good satire imo

Chiraq not so much. Felt like a comedy with a couple heavy scenes.
  • D. Morgan
    I saw the movie

It was a comedy

Your opinion cool.

Bamboozled was good satire imo

Chiraq not so much. Felt like a comedy with a coyple heavy scenes.

I like Bamboozled better. Both satires and both not a comedy to me.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Satire = comedy

The movie did have its funny parts but lets be honest if that church scene didnt get through to ? that murdering kids and each other needs to stop asap then I dont know what to tell them dumb Chicago ? cause nobody else is addressing the issue to the public but Spike....my point is yall ? trying to shoot the messenger
  • _God_
    This movie did not end poverty in Chicago so , the movie and its agenda failed
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _? _ wrote: »

Pretty sure that wasn't the goal
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The movie was OK, not at all ground breaking like Do the Right Thing. Probably could of been executed a lil better but it's not as bad as people claim it to be. I can totally understand why anyone from Chicago wouldn't ? with it.
  • Mseries_
    Mseries_ Members Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matter fact its getting worse out there, 50 MURDERS in Jan 2016! Chicago tryna do Adele numbers out here.
    Chicago got like a quarter of the population of NYC but has way more crime based off any metric you can use.
    @obnoxiouslyfresh since it's your hometown, give us the inside scoop on what's really going on out there.
  • _God_
    R.D. wrote: »

Pretty sure that wasn't the goal

What was his goal to bring Greek mythology to the hoods of Chicago?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Mseries_ wrote: »

Matter fact its getting worse out there, 50 MURDERS in Jan 2016! Chicago tryna do Adele numbers out here.
    Chicago got like a quarter of the population of NYC but has way more crime based off any metric you can use.
    @obnoxiouslyfresh since it's your hometown, give us the inside scoop on what's really going on out there.

@Mseries_

I have no idea why it was so ? this January, considering the cold weather. I think it was about 50 homicides and 250 non-fatal shootings. I really don't know. Last January got pretty bad. There should be a drop this month through early April for tax season and probably a spike come mid April.

Too many gang factions and they all beefing with each other so it's chaotic. Fifteen years ago, there were like 10 major gangs. Now there's like 500 sects, and sects within sects. Too many enemies to keep up with. Astonishingly, we haven't lost any kids or innocent bystanders this past month. Whoever got hit was supposed to be hit, so I guess that's a good thing.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Oh wait, just kidding. Maybe we won't be seeing a drop. Apparently, there have been 4 murders in Chicago this month. It has been February for 1 day and it's 4:30 pm now. 4 bodies.

Who was I fooling.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mseries_

I have no idea why it was so ? this January, considering the cold weather. I think it was about 50 homicides and 250 non-fatal shootings. I really don't know. Last January got pretty bad. There should be a drop this month through early April for tax season and probably a spike come mid April.

Too many gang factions and they all beefing with each other so it's chaotic. Fifteen years ago, there were like 10 major gangs. Now there's like 500 sects, and sects within sects. Too many enemies to keep up with. Astonishingly, we haven't lost any kids or innocent bystanders this past month. Whoever got hit was supposed to be hit, so I guess that's a good thing.

Did you have any lines in the movie or was you just an extra?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    ghostdog56 wrote: »

@Mseries_

Did you have any lines in the movie or was you just an extra?

@ghostdog56 I didn't have lines. & I prefer the term supplemental character.
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem in chicago is misunderstanding the problem in chicago, u have so many people that are stubborn on they opinion of the problem that no one gets around to truly addressing the problem, let alone trying to solve it
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spike Lee broke Chicago with a movie