This is counterproductive

Options

Comments

• MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A concert with Future, Fetty Wap and Rae Sremmurd may be the worst ? thing every. RS are kinda ok.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If a rapper is more influential to your child then you are then your parenting skills are the reason they turned to selling drugs and they dont respect you.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only time u get down on your knees u shootin craps
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackCat wrote: »
    This whole argument is faulty. We shouldn't put responsibility on the rappers. They are artists and creative. They created something and work hard to get this far and you want to blame them for the ills of the youth. Might as well blame authors, film makers, painters, poets etc just because they express certain things you deem to be negative. This ain't ? Germany smh

These people do not portray their fiction as reality like rappers do. That's the difference.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely agree with the sentiment its not debatable.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    Difference between movies and rap though is that rap portrays itself as reality. Of course parents are responsible for their kids, but the kids most heavily influenced by this music are those with no parents or irresponsible ones. There has to be accountability in our music given the amount of influence it wields.

Focusing on the wrong thing.

The problem isn't what kind of influence the music will have on kids with "no parents or irresponsible ones."

The problem is irresponsible parents and/or parents that aren't in their kids' lives.

Basically, a kid who doesn't have parents (or has irresponsible parents) has bigger problems than the kind of music they listen to.
  • deadeye
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jono wrote: »

You can't put your head in the sand but at the same time people make their own decisions and if they decide to live the life characters like Future claim to lead and they get shot or locked up or OD thats on them.

Why not?

The mere fact that there are people who listen to that kind of music who don't fall into those traps is enough to absolve the music/artists of any responsibility.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Seriously, I hate MFers than always want to throw black parents under the bus when it comes to this subject.

For the most part, the problem is not black parents, it's the whole environment that these kids live in, including their peers.

But even if parents were the main problem, it should be totally unacceptable to throw your hands up and say, "? those parents, and I don't care what happens to the black race, let rappers do whatever they want." Cause that's saying that rap is more important to you than your race.
  • deadeye
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »
    Difference between movies and rap though is that rap portrays itself as reality. Of course parents are responsible for their kids, but the kids most heavily influenced by this music are those with no parents or irresponsible ones. There has to be accountability in our music given the amount of influence it wields.

Add another advisory next to the parental one stating the content herein is fictional and mimicking the actions portrayed can lead to jail or death.

So Future should change his music because there are kids out there with no good parents or guardians? No that's not Future's problem. When these white kids are shooting up schools and malls I don't see anyone blaming the music they listen to as an influence, they talk about mental health. If a kid gets into crime then that's a decision that that kid made, it has nothing to do with music, kids aren't THAT damn stupid.

In other words, if the parents aren't "good," that's on them, let the rappers do whatever they want. Doesn't matter if blacks suffer as a race.

And your ? ? has the nerve to call me a ? . Brah, you are in my universe in terms of my commitment to this ? .

What does a rapper talking about cooking coke and killing people have to do with ? parents? And why must they change the way they make music because of ? parents? Hip hop is not the reason for the economical situation these people are in, these situations force people into crime due to a lack of resources and opportunity. Hip hop music is not making young Timmy sell drugs, it's his environment that does that.

I think I is a combination of influences. And whichever one of those influences that child pays the most attention too is the most effective.

I agree with the bold to an extent, but how would you explain these kids that grow up in the suburbs selling drugs?

Mentally weak.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

You can't put your head in the sand but at the same time people make their own decisions and if they decide to live the life characters like Future claim to lead and they get shot or locked up or OD thats on them.

Why not?

The mere fact that there are people who listen to that kind of music who don't fall into those traps is enough to absolve the music/artists of any responsibility.

That's like saying since some people smoke into their 90s without anything happening, that absolves cigarette companies of any responsibility for cancer. It's stupid.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

Why not?

Wrong. If i poison the water source and only 3 people get sick am I not responsible?

There are millions of kids and adults influenced by music. Whether its whites (jugglo culture, goths and metal heads) or blacks ("gangsta," drug dealers and drug users) almost all of them are influenced by the music they listen to.

An effective argument is that people SEEK OUT the kind of music that represents them because that is true as well
  • deadeye
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Seriously, I hate MFers than always want to throw black parents under the bus when it comes to this subject.

For the most part, the problem is not black parents, it's the whole environment that these kids live in, including their peers.

But even if parents were the main problem, it should be totally unacceptable to throw your hands up and say, "? those parents, and I don't care what happens to the black race, let rappers do whatever they want." Cause that's saying that rap is more important to you than your race.

Not really blaming parents.

For me, it just doesn't make sense to blame someone a child doesn't even know.......more than the people (parents) who are supposed to be responsible for the child.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Parents aren't the main problem but its definitely a big influence. Raising your kids through the TV & not ensuring who they hang with & what they're into goes a long way. Being a single parent is even worse. My mother still managed to help set me straight despite her working constantly. Even when I did do some ? , my older cousins kept me from following their path of destruction. Rather you wanna believe it or not, as long as the image of negativity generates a profit, its not going anywhere. Yea they perpetuate this and that, but that energy ya put into trying to squash that can go to something more.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Y'all sitting up here replying seriously to this ? ?

The bold is a big strawman argument and no one has even implied this.

But anyway. ATalentedOne I'd recommend you play this song for your kids.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vJwKKKd2ZYE

Mitch caught a body bout a week agooooo!!!!
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Parents aren't at fault for the most part. When a kid gets to a certain age the parental influence lessens.

Humans are influenced by who they spend the most time with. As a child its your parents, from the teen to young adult days its your friends and environment. This has been proven.

Parents can't control everything. Kids are bombarded with this stuff through all forms of media not just TV.

I know plenty of people whose parents didn't allow them to watch R rated movies or listen to music with cursing and they still did it when they got older.

This idea that parents are going to hold your hand throughout your life is unrealistic. Unless your Amish you will come across this stuff someway.

Your point is totally different than the premise of this pointless thread.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Only person you have an obligation in this life to is yourself.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Only person you have an obligation in this life ti is yourself.

"Get yours first, them other ? secondary
    That type of illing that be filling up the cemetery"
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Only person you have an obligation in this life ti is yourself.

"Get yours first, them other ? secondary
    That type of illing that be filling up the cemetery"

That's a very stupid way of looking at life since the cemetery go be filled regardless of what you do. But believe whatever you want.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The point is people have that "all I care about is me" mentality then wonder why the hood is tore up from the floor up.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The point is people have that "all I care about is me" mentality then wonder why the hood is tore up from the floor up.

no I dont. I KNOW why the hood is tore up. And it isn't because of black people putting themselves first
  • 5th Letter
    Options

no I dont. I KNOW why the hood is tore up. And it isn't because of black people putting themselves first

Is it because of rap music?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Why would someone wack or flag the OP?

Do they think that clearly celebrating drug dealers is good?

Is that what being pro-black is about?

Smh.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I cant stand this dude Future. He wasnt no big time trap dude in the A dude damn near was trying to get into the rap game for the majority of his life but he's selling drams to these young cats that being doped up all day is cool and hip. Something about him seems fake to me and i'm usually right about a fraud ?
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Why would someone wack or flag the OP?

Do they think that clearly celebrating drug dealers is good?

Is that what being pro-black is about?

Smh.

Its wack because you need to shut the ? up. Who are you to tell anyone how to live their life and make their pay? Nobody but another ? on the Internet.