Tekken 7 Fated Retribution thread (Akuma reveal)

Comments

• MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? damn, Akuma is a fighting game mercenary. ? hopping from universe to universe to ? people up.

Yup, he started that back in the 90s when he fought the X-Men (Children of the Atom).
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_stb1Tsz3Y

The fact that they still haven't announced a console release date for this game ? me off.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Been in Japan for two weeks so on my last day I've finally got round to an arcade and tried Tekken 7 in there - maybe I'm a cynical, grumpy bastard in my old age but graphics aside it plays exactly like every other Tekken since 5. Are people not bored of this ? by now?
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Lol @ Akuma's super meter and FADC combos. This is literally USF4 Akuma, in every way.

I don't think anyone would've have minded taking at least a little bit of artistic liberty to better intergrate him into the game and move list editing... Instead of a straight up copy and paste job.

The amount of detail missing from his model compared to that new white girl they showed right after is staggering lol
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abraxas wrote: »
    Lol @ Akuma's super meter and FADC combos. This is literally USF4 Akuma, in every way.

I don't think anyone would've have minded taking at least a little bit of artistic liberty to better intergrate him into the game and move list editing... Instead of a straight up copy and paste job.

The amount of detail missing from his model compared to that new white girl they showed right after is staggering lol
    Right for instance, he's way too buff/big. he shouldn't look that big in a Tekken world, It doesn't even match. The models in SF universe are a bit exaggerated like comic books. They have their own art style. U can't just take the same SFU model and paste it into Tekken lol Tekken models supposed to look realistic
  • Fosheezy
    Been in Japan for two weeks so on my last day I've finally got round to an arcade and tried Tekken 7 in there - maybe I'm a cynical, grumpy bastard in my old age but graphics aside it plays exactly like every other Tekken since 5. Are people not bored of this ? by now?

Lol nope. The game gets better every time. Except for like T4. How u expect people to get bored though? It's not like there no new gameplay mechanics, new characters, new buffs/ nerfs plus new moves with every release. No Tekken after T5 plays exactly like T5 and especially not T7 even compared to TTT2 the movement and feel is way heavier for example.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

T5 probably my last fave tekken game then they lost me with 6 and that robotic ? ...can't stand her
  • The Lonious Monk
    Fosheezy wrote: »

Right for instance, he's way too buff/big. he shouldn't look that big in a Tekken world, It doesn't even match. The models in SF universe are a bit exaggerated like comic books. They have their own art style. U can't just take the same SFU model and paste it into Tekken lol Tekken models supposed to look realistic

Akuma doesn't have a Super Hadoken in IV, and he does a string in the video that he doesn't have in SF, so they have taken liberties. Plus we haven't seen all his moves yet, so there is still the possibility he will have more new stuff.

Also, your comments about Akuma being too buff or big aren't quite correct either. Akuma has been portrayed as being larger than normal humans in some other media. He is also supposed to be seen as being beyond human. And he doesn't look any more out of place than Jinpachi.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game isn't coming out until next year. SF5 is getting a free update during the summer, MKXL next month, and Guilty Gear sometime this spring. The problem with Tekken is, the game dies out in the competitive scene quickly.

They'll probably keep this delayed until they are almost finished with the crossover.
  • Fosheezy

Akuma doesn't have a Super Hadoken in IV, and he does a string in the video that he doesn't have in SF, so they have taken liberties. Plus we haven't seen all his moves yet, so there is still the possibility he will have more new stuff.

Also, your comments about Akuma being too buff or big aren't quite correct either. Akuma has been portrayed as being larger than normal humans in some other media. He is also supposed to be seen as being beyond human. And he doesn't look any more out of place than Jinpachi.

Comparing his size to Ryu and Ken, dude had the same physique as both them in pretty much all the series so to me makes more sense to slim him down a tad bit similar to Ryu early character model reveal which looks more convincing to me. news_photo_43227_1406327382.png
  • Fosheezy
    And i had not idea @sion and @The Lonious Monk played competitively lol i don't have TTT2 but i'd play either of yall on TR online even though it pretty much is garbage game i still have fun playing it
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited February 2016

Comparing his size to Ryu and Ken, dude had the same physique as both them in pretty much all the series so to me makes more sense to slim him down a tad bit similar to Ryu early character model reveal which looks more convincing to me. news_photo_43227_1406327382.png

I'm not saying they would have been wrong to slim him down. I'm just saying, Akuma is not a normal human, so him being larger than the rest of the Tekken shouldn't really be that big a deal. Jinpachi was far more irregular in size and shape than Akuma.

I'm ready for this to be out though. Tekken seems to be the only fighting game people on this board actually get on. I'll take on whoever, but I got to get myself back in gear. I haven't played Tekken since I got my PS4.
  • Fosheezy
    I thought everyone here plays SF nobody ? enough to play Tekken on high level
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im trash at tekken lol
  • Paprika
    Yeah TTT2 was good but I was losing a lot because I don't utilize Jin's counters. I'll improve when this drops.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Some video from the location test going on. Not the best video or gameplay quality, but it's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nEB-jijlxE

• Fosheezy
    Some video from the location test going on. Not the best video or gameplay quality, but it's something.

Akuma out here lookin like a total scrub magnet ? playing just like a street fighter game. wtf. This just can't be the way he supposed to be played
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited February 2016

Akuma out here lookin like a total scrub magnet ? playing just like a street fighter game. wtf. This just can't be the way he supposed to be played

lol They aren't even playing him the right way for SF. He's a new character. You got to remember this is the first time any of these people have gotten their hands on him, and these people are necessarily pro level players. That said, I'm sure Akuma is still played like he is in SF to some degree, but those players aren't taking advantage of the Tekken system. We know Akuma can do it because we've seen it in the trailers.

I think this is a good example of how Akuma should be played. He just has to work on landing EX moves since they set up Akuma's combos.

https://www.facebook.com/ThrowBackTokyo/videos/vb.565099750230358/1007896179284044/?type=3&permPage=1
  • Fosheezy

lol They aren't even playing him the right way for SF. He's a new character. You got to remember this is the first time any of these people have gotten their hands on him, and these people are necessarily pro level players. That said, I'm sure Akuma is still played like he is in SF to some degree, but those players aren't taking advantage of the Tekken system. We know Akuma can do it because we've seen it in the trailers.

I think this is a good example of how Akuma should be played. He just has to work on landing EX moves since they set up Akuma's combos.

https://www.facebook.com/ThrowBackTokyo/videos/vb.565099750230358/1007896179284044/?type=3&permPage=1

Ehh that was better but I still see too much SF mechanic implementation for a Tekken game.. Jumping in, EX meter come onnn. Supposed to give him a whole new move-list and the EX moves could have been just frame moves wtf is next hcf + p input moves along with charge moves like Guile? ? harada is tripping!
  • The Lonious Monk

Ehh that was better but I still see too much SF mechanic implementation for a Tekken game.. Jumping in, EX meter come onnn. Supposed to give him a whole new move-list and the EX moves could have been just frame moves wtf is next hcf + p input moves along with charge moves like Guile? ? harada is tripping!

I think you expected a little much. I agree with what you said about the just frames and EX moves, but other than that, it wouldn't have made sense to change him too much. He has to look like himself else there wouldn't have been a point in bringing him. Ideally, he should play like himself while being able to take advantage of the Tekken mechanics. It still remains to be seen how well he can do that. I think you have to use his EX moves to set up his Tekken style combos, so that's a pretty cool way of combining the two playstyles.
  • Fosheezy

I think you expected a little much. I agree with what you said about the just frames and EX moves, but other than that, it wouldn't have made sense to change him too much. He has to look like himself else there wouldn't have been a point in bringing him. Ideally, he should play like himself while being able to take advantage of the Tekken mechanics. It still remains to be seen how well he can do that. I think you have to use his EX moves to set up his Tekken style combos, so that's a pretty cool way of combining the two playstyles.

I hope you right

need more footage
  • The Lonious Monk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRCm2boEPVY

He's not going to be a scrub magnet. I can tell that right away. If you try to spam jump-ins and hadokens, you will get blown the ? up. Akuma might be decent in the right hands, but he can't combo as easy as the Tekken characters and he seems to be a little slow with some of his attacks.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im guessing his moves are really unsafe?
  • Paprika
    Yep. And his lows look to have terrible start up frames. In fact all of his moves have terrible start up frames and look to be punishable.

He should be pretty free as his combo strings are slow. He's literally being played in SF4 speed while in a Tekken game.

Novelty character at best.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Paprika wrote: »
    Yep. And his lows look to have terrible start up frames. In fact all of his moves have terrible start up frames and look to be punishable.

He should be pretty free as his combo strings are slow. He's literally being played in SF4 speed while in a Tekken game.

Novelty character at best.

His lows are actually pretty good, especially his sweeps. Watch the video. The opponents had a hard time blocking them. It's not that Akuma is slow. His movement speed is ok. His attacks are slow in comparison to most of the Tekken characters, but that's because he's not made to string a bunch of quick moves together. In this game, you'll basically be hunting and pecking in an attempt to attacks and chain them into specials. Then when you get your EX meter up, you can use your EX meter to perform combos more comparable to what Tekken characters do.