13»

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    @MsSouthern

What matters to you?

Lots of things but I have been focusing on foster kids and the foster system for a few years now

I am a CASA volunteer and even though I no longer work in family law .... I still love being a part of this origination. It's rough seeing kids that have been abused and listening to their story. But giving the courts the information that is not what the child wants but what is in their best interest is how I help. She kids still want to go home to their abusers. It's my job to let the courts know that is not what they need.

I also collect toys and gift cards throughout the year for CASA.

Last year me and my friends and family adopted 30 kids . It was such an amazing feeling knowing they will have a Christmas.

This year I donated books to a new library in Bali. And also volunteer at a soup kitchen ... Serving breakfast at 5 am to the homeless.

I'm willing to help support anything that will truly help others. NAMI , Suicide prevention , women's rights , cancer research .... Are just some other groups I've raise money and done walks for this year

I would love to start a non profit summer camp for foster kids

I have a few attorneys willing to help me with this ... It's a long process but ideally I would like all foster kids in Travis county to able to attend the camp each summer. I think I can get some grants to help too. Currently putting my business plan together

T
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MsSouthern wrote: »
    @MsSouthern

What matters to you?

Lots of things but I have been focusing on foster kids and the foster system for a few years now

I am a CASA volunteer and even though I no longer work in family law .... I still love being a part of this origination. It's rough seeing kids that have been abused and listening to their story. But giving the courts the information that is not what the child wants but what is in their best interest is how I help. She kids still want to go home to their abusers. It's my job to let the courts know that is not what they need.

I also collect toys and gift cards throughout the year for CASA.

Last year me and my friends and family adopted 30 kids . It was such an amazing feeling knowing they will have a Christmas.

This year I donated books to a new library in Bali. And also volunteer at a soup kitchen ... Serving breakfast at 5 am to the homeless.

I'm willing to help support anything that will truly help others. NAMI , Suicide prevention , women's rights , cancer research .... Are just some other groups I've raise money and done walks for this year

I would love to start a non profit summer camp for foster kids

I have a few attorneys willing to help me with this ... It's a long process but ideally I would like all foster kids in Travis county to able to attend the camp each summer. I think I can get some grants to help too. Currently putting my business plan together

T

Where r u ? When i be asking for donations for our non profit?
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My moms

Nuthing else
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still didn't add males to the OP?

Oh ok
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These posts are really inspirational, ladies..good ? .
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAN...a ? @haute, sighting?!?!
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That we treat love an friends as um dis cant spell as if the on to the next one society like no relationship of any kind is valued matters all bonds are now breakable-Blackgod813
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great responses for everyone

Issues that matter to me most is racial inequality, income inequality, sexism, prison reform, climate change

Besides my family , words, film, music, I draw, etc over time I've developed a passion for psychology the meaning behind human behavior. And i'm big on anything dedicated towards mental health awareness and removing the stigma from having a mental illness

Public policy and the ways how it's shaped our reality interests me

Food is also a passion...Mainly it's effect on human behavior. And it's healing power.

Basically I'm a big believer in hostlic healing... When treating a person for an ailment, we should be taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just physical symptoms ...same as with anything....I think the only we see real progess in our communities if we adopt a holistic philosophy

I wish most for a day that my nieces and nephew along with other little brown ppl are able to grow and make mistakes without having to worry about being gunned down or thrown into prison because of their skin color or zipcode

I do my part by donating to diff charities and participating in food drives when I can. I'm also helping my aunt with a new program she has in the works. It would be geared towards helping ex offenders recently released from prison find work and job training. Hope to do more in the future, e.g. adopt, mentor, etc
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its my money and i want it now
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black people and the plethora of ? being black lends itself to.

More recently, I'm growing increasingly concerned about our treatment of those suffering from mental illness, particularly police mistreatment of them being where it hits home for me.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    What issues matter to you the most ? Right now it is them trying to build a interstate right through my old neighborhood. When the national trend is to get rid of thoroughfares like that. The decision is to build is about a year away but I getting my ? together so I can really start to help.

My second issue is education in the hood. The biggest problem with kids and education is that life interferes. Most mid-size cities have bigger problem than larger cities because the people still there is more like the left behind than anything. I believe before you can fix the problem of education you have to frame the approach to the individual child. That is why charter schools work. #1 the parents are involved and the child has a stable foundation to learn. Lets see a charter school work with children that dont have supportive parents.

What is your passion? The older I have gotten I have become a fighter for justice. Or least a more vocal person. I dont believe in the narrative that someone can be the voice for the voiceless (dems). But I do know and understand that most people that struggle and or truly poor are just trying to survive. They do have time to think about their next governor or city councilman. They are open to misinformation. Politicians telling them they are going to do this or that. Knowing damn well they have no say in that. So my passion is stopping misinformation.

Do you give back to your community ? Yes! Not like I used to. I have done many drives for the homeless. My next one will be for Vets (homeless and mentally ill). Just trying to get my ? together first.

I used to talk to kids about Drugs and I want to start back. I will totally frame it a different way now. My message was not Dont do drugs but more of the drug culture. That is more damning. In the white suburban schools I talked about drug usage. In the hood and country (? ) I talked about selling and manufacturing. Using drugs is not the problem. Why are you using drugs is the real question.

• BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how I miss this thread
    Awesome topic @MsSouthern

The issues that matter to me the most is educational inequality for the youth who live in lower socio-economic status areas. It actually is sad that one of the greatest nation In the world could not provide equal and adequate education for all the youth in the country. In addition free additional extra-culucular after school programs for disadvantaged youth.

The quality of teachers, the type of courses the schools offer and the lack of funding for good books and other learning materials is quiet sad compared to schools in a well to neighborbords. I strong feel that every child deserves equal apportunity in education. In addition, children from the poor neighborhoods have harder time in schools due to their home situation, poverty, lack of support from parents for varies reasons that affects their learning process but those kids choose to act out or behave badly to deal with their issues.

However, instead of trying to find the underlying issue that makes them act that way and helping them by giving them individual attention to show them support that they don't receive at home, they get dismissed as difficult. No one tries to help them overcome their problems because they have already being reduced to low expectations. I feel that every child deserves an apportunity to gain so much more from the education system. Those children didn't ask to be here and happen to come from various difficult home situations that a child should never had to deal with. Schools being very proactive and given kids the opportunity to explore different ways of learning would do the country a great service. After all "The children are our future."
  • BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great responses for everyone

Issues that matter to me most is racial inequality, income inequality, sexism, prison reform, climate change

Besides my family , words, film, music, I draw, etc over time I've developed a passion for psychology the meaning behind human behavior. And i'm big on anything dedicated towards mental health awareness and removing the stigma from having a mental illness

Public policy and the ways how it's shaped our reality interests me

Food is also a passion...Mainly it's effect on human behavior. And it's healing power.

Basically I'm a big believer in hostlic healing... When treating a person for an ailment, we should be taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just physical symptoms ...same as with anything....I think the only we see real progess in our communities if we adopt a holistic philosophy

I wish most for a day that my nieces and nephew along with other little brown ppl are able to grow and make mistakes without having to worry about being gunned down or thrown into prison because of their skin color or zipcode

I do my part by donating to diff charities and participating in food drives when I can. I'm also helping my aunt with a new program she has in the works. It would be geared towards helping ex offenders recently released from prison find work and job training. Hope to do more in the future, e.g. adopt, mentor, etc

Excellent post! You touch on a lot of issues that we all should recognize.

I plan to work with troubled youth dealing with mental illness. There is so much that can be done to channel their energy in various activities that would lead to self-expression and healing instead of numbing their brains with medication so they don't have to depend on them for a long time. I have seen this work with adults who spent most of their lives in a phyche ward.

Food drives? Need to look in to that. It's a shame so many folks go to bed hungry when there is so much food being wasted. Smh
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackCat wrote: »
    I don't know how I miss this thread
    Awesome topic @MsSouthern

The issues that matter to me the most is educational inequality for the youth who live in lower socio-economic status areas. It actually is sad that one of the greatest nation In the world could not provide equal and adequate education for all the youth in the country. In addition free additional extra-culucular after school programs for disadvantaged youth.

The quality of teachers, the type of courses the schools offer and the lack of funding for good books and other learning materials is quiet sad compared to schools in a well to neighborbords. I strong feel that every child deserves equal apportunity in education. In addition, children from the poor neighborhoods have harder time in schools due to their home situation, poverty, lack of support from parents for varies reasons that affects their learning process but those kids choose to act out or behave badly to deal with their issues.

However, instead of trying to find the underlying issue that makes them act that way and helping them by giving them individual attention to show them support that they don't receive at home, they get dismissed as difficult. No one tries to help them overcome their problems because they have already being reduced to low expectations. I feel that every child deserves an apportunity to gain so much more from the education system. Those children didn't ask to be here and happen to come from various difficult home situations that a child should never had to deal with. Schools being very proactive and given kids the opportunity to explore different ways of learning would do the country a great service. After all "The children are our future."

Preach! I swear this makes me so mad but it goes to the overall state of affairs. How can a child prosper in such adverse condition? My wife's cousin daughter just got a letter from Harvard. She is a smart and deserving young lady that I am proud to say I have known since she was 3. But her parents pay a mortgage to put her in a very selective private school that networks with Ivy League schools. That is why she got a letter from Harvard recruiting her. Same child in public schools dont have that network and will most likely be going to a community college or smaller public school. Nothing wrong with that until you see the numbers on financial success and school choices.
  • AP21
    well when you have politicians who are so removed from education and issues that impact the quality, you end up with the things @blackcat, and @caddo man mentioned.

They have turned education into a for profit business and the children are the ones that ultimately suffer from it.

its a double edged sword though. I for one, dont mind paying taxes for something to increase the quality of education for not only my child, but the children in the community where i reside. The problem is, as a community, we have little to no say so as to how these dollars get spent.

Dont get me started on charter schools and how they are a drain on the community and the tax dollar.
  • AP21