did the davinci code shatter chrstianity

Options
Dupac
Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
a fictional book based in a lot of reality and conspiracy.....

how many people read this book and lost faith in what was true and what wasn't?

how strong was the books impact...or was it just purely fiction?

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a non-believer most of the theories is really junk and ? in the book. If you don't do your due diligence on research and a proper methodology on understanding the information then you are gonna believe that ? is true. It is cultish in many aspects of no backing up information and it was destroyed by Atheist and Biblical scholars alike.
  • Dupac
    Options
    i'm reading the book for the first time.....there's so much more explanation in the book than the movie, and i remember this being one of the most read books when it first came out.. something like 5 million sales in a few weeks....

that's a lotta people....and i remember something about the church denouncing the book.....im writing this without googling any of this.....i know lazy, but whatever.....

but while i'm reading it i'm starting to wonder is this what got sooooooo many people away from the bible and the church....

because i feel like in the mid 2000's there was a sudden influx of people being so vocal about losing their faith.....so it made me wonder did this book/movie have anything to do with it.....

one of the bar backs at my bar is a phd student in a lotta this ? .....and we have talks often about the bible, church, religion, history, we even broke out strong's concordance one night at work....

(imagine the visual ? dude, skinny white guy, drinking beers with a concordance discussing acts and Ephesians while the black dude periodically stops to go "can i see your ID please"...good times, great job)

but yea he saw me reading it sunday night and was telling me how much ? that book started and how historically inaccurate it was......

figured i'd bring the discussion here....i don't get into many debates on here with religion.....i think it was somewhere in 2 timothy about not getting into pointless arguments about the literal meaning of words because it hurts everybody listening....i dunno, i like to exchange opinions, learn new ? ..... but dudes in here get in flat out arguments.....
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    i'm reading the book for the first time.....there's so much more explanation in the book than the movie, and i remember this being one of the most read books when it first came out.. something like 5 million sales in a few weeks....

that's a lotta people....and i remember something about the church denouncing the book.....im writing this without googling any of this.....i know lazy, but whatever.....

but while i'm reading it i'm starting to wonder is this what got sooooooo many people away from the bible and the church....

because i feel like in the mid 2000's there was a sudden influx of people being so vocal about losing their faith.....so it made me wonder did this book/movie have anything to do with it.....

one of the bar backs at my bar is a phd student in a lotta this ? .....and we have talks often about the bible, church, religion, history, we even broke out strong's concordance one night at work....

(imagine the visual ? dude, skinny white guy, drinking beers with a concordance discussing acts and Ephesians while the black dude periodically stops to go "can i see your ID please"...good times, great job)

but yea he saw me reading it sunday night and was telling me how much ? that book started and how historically inaccurate it was......

figured i'd bring the discussion here....i don't get into many debates on here with religion.....i think it was somewhere in 2 timothy about not getting into pointless arguments about the literal meaning of words because it hurts everybody listening....i dunno, i like to exchange opinions, learn new ? ..... but dudes in here get in flat out arguments.....

Yeah, there is a difference between healthy conversations, debates, exchanging ideas and etc, but most people can't separate their intellect and their emotions when you are discussing information. When you do this especially on a powerful platform you separate your emotions even if you are passionate about it because it's the information speaking, not you speaking. This is why I'm starting to shy away from it, because folks can't handle discussing and everyone wants to be a teacher or a debator, but don't have the necessary composure and self control. You have to be open minded and be ready to be checked, because you will be checked even if your information is 98% accurate the other 2 will be hit hard and it's a humbling process if you allow it and it only make you wiser and more stronger in your research.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you a cool ? but if you think any of that book is based in fact you need to brush up on histiry. I haven't read it in a few years but I'll listen some errors of the top of my head.

Mary being a tribe of Benjamin when it's literally not mentioned at all in the bible.

Jesus and Mary marriage being a political union which in and of itself doesn't make sense.

Mary being a goddess and Jesus just being a prophet. Why would a goddess be interested in a ? and where is their any legit claim that she is a goddess outside the book.

The idea that their supposed marriage which has no basing in reality would somehow be forbidden when ? commends fruitfulness.

The claim of Constantine wanting to suppress Gnostic christians is just plain historically wrong. And the fact that he used christianity to unite the empire was plain wrong seeing he allowed paganism to continue.

Overall there are way more compelling and thought provoking books that challenge the belief of ? . This isn't one of them. ? I think more over that philosophic books do a better job read Beyond Good or Evil
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    ? Thus spoke Zarathustra did a better job at challenging christianity and is an overall better book
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts here, the Da Vinci Code probably did little to lessen the faith of people. Most people know it's fiction. What probably did more to lessen the faith of people in this decade are the Catholic Church sex abuse scandals, church attendance has gone down dramatically since then.
  • Dupac
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Do you a cool ? but if you think any of that book is based in fact you need to brush up on histiry. I haven't read it in a few years but I'll listen some errors of the top of my head.

this is exactly what i'm talking about.....

all i did was ask if the book had an impact,

i'm very clear that it's a work of fiction....however given the real topic and how many people read it, how well it sold, how it was made into a movie, and how the church denounced it and it causing a controversy....can it be credited with steering people away.....

we all know that there were many versions of the bible...people refer to them all the time...what most do't know however is what was in other versions....this movie plays with that...and can get a lotta people thinking......

i personally just think it's a fun story... but many people who are far more impressionable might use a story like this as a reason to stop believing the gospel as it's traditionally taught....

my question is does anyone think that might be true....
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    The_Jackal wrote: »

this is exactly what i'm talking about.....

all i did was ask if the book had an impact,

i'm very clear that it's a work of fiction....however given the real topic and how many people read it, how well it sold, how it was made into a movie, and how the church denounced it and it causing a controversy....can it be credited with steering people away.....

we all know that there were many versions of the bible...people refer to them all the time...what most do't know however is what was in other versions....this movie plays with that...and can get a lotta people thinking......

i personally just think it's a fun story... but many people who are far more impressionable might use a story like this as a reason to stop believing the gospel as it's traditionally taught....

my question is does anyone think that might be true....

My mistake. And I doubt it there are plenty of other books that have a a major impact on Religion such as Origin of a Species, ? problem, Thus spoke Zarathustra etc.

I think people want more works to challenge organized religion but at the same time hold their books to a high standard.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yeah, the Da Vinci code challenged people to look closer at the book, but the book does a disservice to itself for being so inaccurate and just plain ol'e wrong that it made people not even think about challenging it. It's impact is strong, but the legacy of the book will be weak. If it had strong accurate information than it will have a stronger legacy, but overall a christian who knows their history wouldn't even be shaken not once.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    nah.
    but the book also lifted its conspiracy theory from prior works, so even if it DID damage Christianity, i don't think it deserves that much credit.
  • b1grobtheking
    b1grobtheking Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    this book will help you understand all this religion stuff more than any other book....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0910309205?keywords=christianity before christ&qid=1456358121&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

By John G Jackson the original real black atheist. The first of all the legendary African American scholars.
  • Dupac
    Options
    Bertrand Russell wrote some good ? I read like 10 years ago, I still got them books hidden around the house some where
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No it did not them old black women did not miss a beat ours is a strong faith..bofl
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    audiobook for the win
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the albino did it aka keke loco