What are your common knowledge car maintenance tips?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
I was looking at a forum for my car, and it made me think..

I spent yesterday doing my "50,000 mile" service: 1. Synthetic oil change 2. Tire rotation 3. Change cabin air filter 4. Inspect & clean brakes 5. Flush transmission 6. Change engine coolant 7. Drain & fill power steering fluid 8. Clean MAF sensor 9. Clean & ? battery posts. 10. Add gumout to fuel system.

So I was wondering what you guys do to maintain your car to run well for an extended period and how often. Please no car wash replies.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP, what you pushing that need Transmission and steering fluid @ 50k miles?
    I don't think many people know about that Cabin air filter, pops put me on it a few years ago.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Im a mechanic so my I have a little more than common knowledge and wouldnt get all that ? done. You should at least learn how to change your own cabin air filter its as simple as changing a filter in your home and save a couple $. But I just get ? fixed when it breaks and stay on top of my oil changes. I dont mess with them ? flushes they can cause more harm than good. But ? if you got the funds to get all that ? done get it taken care of what kind of car you got is it a 2010-11?
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ paying somebody else to change an air filter
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP, what you pushing that need Transmission and steering fluid @ 50k miles?
    I don't think many people know about that Cabin air filter, pops put me on it a few years ago.

It was just an insurance thing. i posted key car in thecar thread awhile ago. A black 2012 Limited edition Toyota avalon and I added much ? to it my brother since then.

Btw a hydraulic jack and a #14 are musts for me.
  • Rembrandt
    Rembrandt Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    Take care of your brakes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really need to get that jack.
    Also i don't see a problem with getting freight tools if you only work on your car. If the ? breaks bring it back, that lifetime warranty. Beats having to deal with managers at sears.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Rembrandt wrote: »
    Take care of your brakes

Ya imma need to get the rear brakes done, that will cost me near 350 according to ? SullivanTires here in Boston, but I dunno if I should trust my local car guy who could do it for half.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Currently changing out the valve cover gasket and i'm ready to blow this shitbox up. Everything that possibly go wrong went wrong. First two ignition coils are stuck due to over tightened bolts. but i was like ? it since i'm replacing the whole valve cover (spark plug seals are embedded into the valve cover on altimas) and leave those ? on. Fast forward when i'm taking the valve cover off part of the ignition coil breaks and is now stuck in the well. Now i'm out here like i a cave man using a flat head to break apart the rubber off till i can get a long ass needle nose to get it out. This was suppose to be a job that doesn't take longer than a hour. FML. Does anyone have any homemade remedies in ignition boot out?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn that sucks^

I only do basic ? , I just recently put all new brakes and rotors on my ? and out on 2 new rear calipers.

Also just installed a new motor mount on my ? , it was a pain in the ass getting it in because their usually machine pressed and we had to rig it to get it in.

Gonna replace my serpentine belt this weekend
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    After spending about 8 hours total breaking the rubber with a screwdriver and coat hanger then blowing out the bits and pieces with some cheap ass tire pump i got from advanced auto parts to blow the chunks out. ? was going smoothly after that ordeal till a ? valve cover bolt snapped in two on me. Don't give one ? tho. Connected everything back and the shitbox started and ran. That bolt staying like that till i see oil or get the energy to fix it.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Nissan purposely make their cars difficult to work on.....everything is tough to get at. I swear their transmissions are only built to be replaced and not rebuilt. (had it replaced at 165k)

I just started with a 50/50 regular and synthetic oil after the murano crossed 180k miles..... Haven't noticed a difference in driving but it looks better after changing at 5k. Flushed the radiator myself but went to my local aamco for the a/c for the $50 deal.... A/C blows cold like new
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? round and left my gas cap off.... My check engine light is on now. How long will it stay on?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    I ? round and left my gas cap off.... My check engine light is on now. How long will it stay on?

You have to get it reset or get the codes pulled
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »

You have to get it reset or get the codes pulled

I guess I got lucky. It went off yesterday. Hallelu lol
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it will usually go off after the third start up... Also you can just unplug the battery and that will reset it.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    I think Nissan purposely make their cars difficult to work on.....everything is tough to get at. I swear their transmissions are only built to be replaced and not rebuilt. (had it replaced at 165k)

I just started with a 50/50 regular and synthetic oil after the murano crossed 180k miles..... Haven't noticed a difference in driving but it looks better after changing at 5k. Flushed the radiator myself but went to my local aamco for the a/c for the $50 deal.... A/C blows cold like new

lol, i know all about nissans.......................

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yea its a thing with foreign cars, I used to have a honda accord I had to take the wheel well off to change a headlight lmao
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

yea its a thing with foreign cars, I used to have a honda accord I had to take the wheel well off to change a headlight lmao

Bruh I laughed @ this ? back then but now i when i gotta change the passenger side headlight i gotta do the same. ? THIS NISSAN
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IC brahs

any of ya'll ever recharged ya own freon? is it as simple as just using the diy kit from the auto store?
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    IC brahs

any of ya'll ever recharged ya own freon? is it as simple as just using the diy kit from the auto store?

Depends on situation and how slow it's leaked out. If your air is cooling, but not cold, yeah u can get the kit and charge it up on the low pressure side. Use one with a gauge so u don't overcharge.

If your air is not cool at all, meaning your compressor isn't kicking on, you need to find the source of the leak, fix it, vacuum the system, then have it recharges. This is done by a shop.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dope...its the former

its blowing cool, but not cold

gon check out autozone...thanks fam