Biggie Originally Wanted Nas to Get On a “Gimme the Loot” Remix

achewon87
achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in The Reason
https://youtu.be/bAgqE9o3k6o

DJ Khaled has lowkey been getting some of the best interviews in rap with his new We The Best Beats 1 radio show, and earlier this month he interviewed Nas for the second episode. Now the full video of the interview is available above as Esco talks about the controversy surrounding “Hate Me Now,” being in the studio with Biggie, and whether he’s been working on any new music.

“Yeah, makin’ new records,” Nas says about that last part. “For awhile, just trying to feel the inspiration. One month I know what I’m doing, the next month I’m starting all over again. So it’s a lot of that.”

But elsewhere in the interview, Nas gets into how Biggie originally wanted him on a remix to “Gimme The Loot.” The two were smoking some “chocolate,” and the way Esco tells it, he just didn’t write anything for the song. He asked Biggie if he had anything, and Big just started spitting without writing anything down. After that, Nas went right to Hot 97 to tell that story because rumors were spreading about Biggie not writing his lyrics down at the time.

This is especially interesting because later on in their careers, tension would arise between the two New York MCs. In ’94 Nas dropped Illmatic and later that year Biggie dropped his debut album Ready to Die. Both featured babies on the cover, and Raekwon would later famously call Big out for “biting Nas ? ” on his Purple Tape in ’95.

In addition, Nas says his favorite collaboration of all time is “Fast Life” with Kool G Rap. He also names his favorite all-time non-rap albums (A Love Supreme by John Coltrane, Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis) as well as his favorite rap albums: Public Enemy’s It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Eric B and Rakim’s Paid in Full, Criminal Minded by BDP, Bigger and Deffer by LL Cool J, Wanted: Dead or Alive by Kool G Rap, Long Live the Kane by BDK, Slick Rick’s Great Adventures of Slick Rick, Death Certificate by Ice Cube, Mr. Scarface is Back by Scarface, and Tribe’s Instinctive Travels.

Esco gives props a couple other artists doing it right now too. “Future is innovative with his music. Everybody’s in the club, it’s undeniable. His fans, it’s an undeniable movement. I saw him come from starting something and then a lotta people [did] something that sounded identical to him. So for him to step back and come back stronger than before, that’s some staying power. He’s proving a lot to the game.

“On the other side of it, you got J. Cole, you got Kendrick, you got Drizzy. Those are like the ones right there. You got Meek Mills of course, reppin’ the streets which is needed. You got Chance The Rapper. Chance is noticing what he’s doing. I like him. And Yo Gotti.”

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/02/notorious-big-nas-ready-to-die/

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    achewon87 wrote: »

In addition, Nas says his favorite collaboration of all time is “Fast Life” with Kool G Rap. He also names his favorite all-time non-rap albums (A Love Supreme by John Coltrane, Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis) as well as his favorite rap albums: Public Enemy’s It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Eric B and Rakim’s Paid in Full, Criminal Minded by BDP, Bigger and Deffer by LL Cool J, Wanted: Dead or Alive by Kool G Rap, Long Live the Kane by BDK, Slick Rick’s Great Adventures of Slick Rick, Death Certificate by Ice Cube, Mr. Scarface is Back by Scarface, and Tribe’s Instinctive Travels.

@ the bolded. These are your favorite rapper's favorite albums.

I'm just saying..
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'm just saying..

Because thats the era he grew up in...same reason my favorite albums are mostly from the 90s. Doesn't mean someone younger is wrong if there favorite album is carter 2 or college dropout or whatever
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know i heard a scrapped version of mo' money with jadakiss on it one time on shade 45...it wasn't even a mix....it was a legit verse of jada on the track
  • endboss
    endboss Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'm just saying..

Because thats the era he grew up in...same reason my favorite albums are mostly from the 90s. Doesn't mean someone younger is wrong if there favorite album is carter 2 or college dropout or whatever

Makes sense. The question remains; how come half of those albums aren't in the vault?

Does Kool G Rap even have an album in the vault?

How about LL Cool J?
  • achewon87
    edited February 2016
    Nas the ?

Big had him in awe...

Had to run to radio to preach about Big...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Nas admitted this at the VH1 hip hop honors that "Big made him go home" self ether at the time considering the debates on the IC.
  • supergangster
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Nas admitted this at the VH1 hip hop honors that "Big made him go home" self ether at the time considering the debates on the IC.

Nas is a better rapper than Biggie
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone surprised you are in here and would say that
  • supergangster

Is anyone surprised you are in here and would say that

Does that matter? Its all an option i'm just sayin tho.. If u make a poll I think more people would agree with me
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The reason I hesitate to give him [BIG] the freestyle crown is because of what happened late one night in San Francisco. Around five o'clock in the morning at the Gavin convention in '94 guess who's knocking on my hotel door? Big and Nas, with a couple bottles of Mo', like, "Where's the dank, Matt?" I made a call, and, needless to say, driving from Oakland in the middle of the night was no problem for my man when I told him who was in the room.

Purple haze ablaze, I pulled out the box and started playing beats. Immediately, Nas started flowing, nonstop till the sun was out. I mean, spittin perfect verses and choruses that sounded thought out for hours but could only be off the top due to the here-and-now content. Barely awake, but in total awe, I looked over at my man Free sharing the room with me. He was stuck. I looked at Big-stuck. Then Nas picked up the glance and paused for Big to start rhyming. After one long breath, Big said, "Oh, hell no, I can't fukk wit duke." We laughed, and Nas just kept going."

Before this turns into a debate, Nas did the same thing
  • supergangster
    "The reason I hesitate to give him [BIG] the freestyle crown is because of what happened late one night in San Francisco. Around five o'clock in the morning at the Gavin convention in '94 guess who's knocking on my hotel door? Big and Nas, with a couple bottles of Mo', like, "Where's the dank, Matt?" I made a call, and, needless to say, driving from Oakland in the middle of the night was no problem for my man when I told him who was in the room.

Purple haze ablaze, I pulled out the box and started playing beats. Immediately, Nas started flowing, nonstop till the sun was out. I mean, spittin perfect verses and choruses that sounded thought out for hours but could only be off the top due to the here-and-now content. Barely awake, but in total awe, I looked over at my man Free sharing the room with me. He was stuck. I looked at Big-stuck. Then Nas picked up the glance and paused for Big to start rhyming. After one long breath, Big said, "Oh, hell no, I can't fukk wit duke." We laughed, and Nas just kept going."

Before this turns into a debate, Nas did the same thing

image?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi44.tinypic.com%2Fhukhmp.jpg&key=ee8455290d984b30859308ec0b4d701f
  • achewon87
    Where does it say Big went home and declined a remix & running to Hot97 to preach about Nas?...

2nd hand ducktales doesn't constitute proof, Nas admited to this, Big never did...
  • its....JOHN B
    He went to hot 97 after Big passed, quit trying to turn it into something else
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator

Back then it was close, but Nas has evolved so much that when you look at the total body of work it dwarfs Biggie's stuff. Would've been interesting to see how Big evolved as an emcee. Both of them are in my top 2.
  • achewon87

Timing on the admission is irrelevant...

Did I post the titangraph or was it you?...

At any rate we missed out on a potential classic track for whatever reason let's you sleep at night...

Feel better?...
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like, basically, nas and big were both hard to rap after. Even for each other. Just wish they wouldve did that track together would've been legendary
  • its....JOHN B

At any rate we missed out on a potential classic track for whatever reason let's you sleep at night...

Feel better?...

Well yea it is relevant because...
    Nas the ?

Big had him in awe...

Your simple ass is trying to flip it into something else, I could care less who you think is better but stop it with the supergangster level dickriding ?
  • Antwuan89
    Antwuan89 Members Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give the slight edge to Biggie but it's close.
  • achewon87

Feel better?...

Nas the ?

Big had him in awe...

Your simple ass is trying to flip it into something else, I could care less who you think is better but stop it with the supergangster level dickriding ?

Lol...

So you caught feelings to my response to super g and had to throw the cape on & post titangraphs in honor of Nas...

Lame...

So you disapointed that the song wasn't made or not?...
  • its....JOHN B

Feel better?...

Nas the ?

Big had him in awe...

Lol...

So you caught feelings to my response to super g and had to throw the cape on & post titangraphs in honor of Nas...

Lame...

So you disapointed that the song wasn't made or not?...

upset-jaguars-fan.gif

Bruh I don't remember you being a ? before, again you're making up a scenario that isn't true, superg is the epitome of a lame but you're stoopin to his level right now, at no point was feelings caught I was reminded of an old story and it just so happens these type of things tend to happen, Nas was showing love to a friend and legend and you turned it into some other ? , now kys
  • supergangster
    lol whats wrong bout me? ? hate other ? on internet because they got a favorite rapper
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggie got lucky