Death Should Be Final

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Quite Comical
This post is dated. I originally posted it somewhere else.

They're bringing Cap back. Did didn't see this coming? If I ever be fortunate to have ever come into enough money to own one or both of the Big 2. I'm going to do two things. One of which is order a "death clause." The death clause states that for the in most instances that death is final.
Once a character is ? off. That's it for that character. As long as I own the company that character will be dead. In order for a character to be resurrected I personally would have to approve it. It would be a wrap for mortal characters. I would be more apt to allow the resurrection of cosmic power entites or gods such as the Silver Surfer, Galactus, Thor, Dakseid, or the Spectre.

I'm not against characters dying. When you think about it, death is something that should happen more often that what it does considering the line of work the characters are in. Often the death of a character can make for an epic and classic story line e.g. Jean Grey in the Dark Phoenix Saga or Barry Allan's in The Crisis. It's the resurrections that are effed up.

Death is something that's taken entirely too lightly by the writers and most resurrections are insulting to the fanboys intelligence. More often than not the resurrections are far fetched and contrived. The writers are asking too much of the fandom. Personally, I think only character resurrection that was cool was Hal Jordan's.

Let's take Jason Todd's death for instance. It's as if when dude from Real World III bring Jason Todd back he was saying to the fandom. "Hey y'all effed up. I've this story I just gotta tell with Jason Todd. Plus I personally liked Jason Todd. So to hell what you wanted." In addition, a resurrection often makes the repercussions that result from the death nonsequential. Again, pointing the Jason Todd example, Bats got very brutal following Jason's death. He couldn't deal with his dying. Jason's death eventually lead to Tim eventually becoming Robin. If Jason was a popular character, the fandom would've voted for him to live, thus probably preventing Tim Drake from ever being created. Also I feel that bringing back a death character so blatant disregard and disrespect to the previous writers work. The same can said for major continuity changes.

I under than Marvel and DC are in the business of selling comic books, but killing off major characters, only to resurrect them later isn't the way to do it. All this does is give the companies a quarterly sales spike and bring in speculators that are periphery who think they're going to make a buck on a collectors item in a few years. You would think after the '90's debacle the Big Two would learned their lesson about catering to the speculator market. The reason why X-Men 94 and The Amazing Spider-Man 300 are worth money isn't because somebody died in issues, it's because enduring and captivating characters debuted in those respective issues and those characters gained popularity over years of development.

If the Big Two want to sale more books. How about finding a way back into the newsstands and drugs stores. How about getting away from the super hero genre. I'd love to read a horror, mystery, crime or military book. How about we get away from the variant covers, homosexuals, and cheap gimmicks. Let's go back to what Siegal, Shuster, Kane, Finger, Simon, Lee, and Kirby did, have a hot story with with some beautiful art work. Then you'll see your sales rise.
Edit/Delete Message

Comments