Daisy Ridley Confirms Talks For Lara Croft 'Tomb Raider' Role

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
gh0xcehxri9a.png

Following the juicy rumor that "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" star Daisy Ridley was in talks for the lead role in a "Tomb Raider" reboot, the actress herself has confirmed that she's being eyed for the part of Lara Croft.

Ridley spoke to The Hollywood Reporter this weekend at the Empire Awards in London, where she picked up the best female newcomer prize. When asked by the trade about the "Tomb Raider" rumors, the actress acknowledged that there "have been conversations" between her and filmmakers about taking the role -- though she has not been offered the part yet.

"I'm waiting for someone to say 'I want you, let's do it'," Ridley told THR.

According to a report from earlier this month, Ridley is one of a number of actresses vying for the plum role, which is a younger version of the character originated onscreen by Angelina Jolie in 2001's "Tomb Raider" flick. Interest in the film franchise has been renewed thanks to a 2013 video game reboot that follows the first adventures of archaeology student Lara Croft -- and it turns out that that game has convinced John Boyega, Ridley's "Force Awakens" costar, that the actress would be perfect for the part.

Boyega, who was also at the Empire Awards (and also picked up some hardware, in the form of the best male newcomer prize), told THR, "I played 'Tomb Raider' the game, it's a new take and I think the movies are going to be based on that version. But I texted Daisy [and] was like, 'this is you!' and 'you need to get on that because you could be Lara Croft.' She should be."

While it seems likely that this reboot will indeed follow the new video game script, that has yet to be formally announced. (And Ridley herself told THR that there's no script for the flick just yet.) But regardless of its specific plot, Ridley has more than proven herself in the action genre thanks to her "Force Awakens" part, and we think she'd be a natural fit for another high-octane franchise.

Whether she lands this role or not, it's still a bit strange that she has yet to score another film gig following her breakout performance. The actress told THR that she's currently "trying to fill up [her] calendar." Get on it, Hollywood!

Comments