What is the best way to find a new job?

skpjr78
skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Strictly Business
Job searching is one of my least favorite things to do in life. I'm educated, no criminal record, have a good resume, diverse skill set, and a good work ethic but for some reason I've always had a difficult time finding jobs. My job searches always take longer than they should an I always end up becoming very frustrated. What are some ideas to land a job that I want in a reasonable amount of time without becoming angry, frustrated, ? off and tired?

Comments

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    question, what field are you looking for work in?
  • skpjr78
    edited March 2016
    AZTG wrote: »
    question, what field are you looking for work in?

i want to work in the aviation field. thats what my degree is in but for whatever reason i have never been able to get a job nor have i had any real prospects in the industry. i live in metro atl and lockheed and delta are both here but i havent been able to get any traction. i have experience in other technical fields but ive never worked in aviation and each job that ive had takes me further away from where i want to be and makes it a little harder to go in the direction i really want to go. ? crazy and frustrating as hell.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ppl always need you for something. .

So start charging. $$$
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have experience in aviation along with formal education and can't get hired, it has more to do with you and the personality you project. Ask someone professional in your real world to give you an honest evaluation.
  • skpjr78
    edited March 2016
    babelipsss wrote: »
    If you have experience in aviation along with formal education and can't get hired, it has more to do with you and the personality you project. Ask someone professional in your real world to give you an honest evaluation.

I dont have any formal experience in the industry but I do have the education. Ive met with career professionals and resume writers and I've gotten positive feedback on my skill set and background but I still might gat a career counseler/coach to get more of an honest evaluation
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also id say reaching out to old co-workers is a good idea
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the aviation field? get at @CP203 for some references
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll need some relevant work experience to get int he door.. See if you can do an internship or apprenticeship just to get one foot in.. From there you should start to get some traction. You may need to work for free in order to get that experience..
  • Elzo69Renaissance
  • skpjr78
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    You'll need some relevant work experience to get int he door.. See if you can do an internship or apprenticeship just to get one foot in.. From there you should start to get some traction. You may need to work for free in order to get that experience..

My girl told me the same thing but im a grown ass man with major responsibilities. ? that work for free ? . Im not a new college grad. Ive been out of school for a long ass time so im well beyond the intern phase. With that said that might be something I have to look into
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »

My girl told me the same thing but im a grown ass man with major responsibilities. ? that work for free ? . Im not a new college grad. Ive been out of school for a long ass time so im well beyond the intern phase. With that said that might be something I have to look into

I understand where you are coming from.. But I almost positive that is why nothing has stuck when it comes to working in your field. Those cats have no incentive to hire you if you have no relevant work experience. I'd get me a side gig to pay the bills and work for free for 3-6 months. It makes all the difference in the world man.. You get relevant work experiences, relevant references, and you expand your network.

Outside of that you have to meet someone who is willing to vouch for you and get you in the building. Which depending on your networking skills may or may not be a difficult thing to do..
  • ownership
    ownership Members Posts: 14
    1.) Update your resume. Make sure your phone and email address are up-to-date.
    2.) Send an email out to everyone you know and trust explaining the job situation (don't need to go into full detail) and that you're searching for new opportunities
    3.) Attach your resume to that email.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    @cain change the title of this thread....if dudes know of any openings in their area, they should post them in here....help one another out....
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fed ex is hiring ?
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if you want to go the low level route like some women (and men) do........they said it's not about who or what you know, it's about who you blow.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my fam @Sion done came thru & murdered the thread

trill drop bruh