Chicago Pig Union hires pig who killed Laquan McDonald.. Protests are planned in response...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/laquanmcdonald/ct-jason-van-? -police-union-job-20160331-story.html
Chicago police union hires Jason Van ? , officer charged in Laquan McDonald slaying

The Chicago police union says it has hired Jason Van ? , the officer charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald, as a janitor.

Dean Angelo, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Chicago, says the union hired Jason Van ? about three weeks ago.

Van ? is accused of shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in 2014. The shooting was captured on squad-car video and has prompted protests and investigations, including a federal civil rights probe of the Chicago Police Department.

Angelo says Van ? , who has been suspended from the department, is in a "very difficult situation, financially." Angelo says the union would do the same for any Chicago officer.

The union says Van ? has lost other jobs due to publicity and that threats closed his wife's business.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Fraternal-Order-of-Police-Hires-Jason-Van-? -374117671.html
'Ultimate Slap in The Face': Protests Planned After Jason Van ? Hired by Fraternal Order of Police

Protests are expected Thursday after news broke that the Chicago police officer charged in the death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald has been hired by the police union as a janitor and "jack-of-all-trades."

Officer Jason Van ? now makes $12 an hour at the Fraternal Order of Police hall in the city’s West Loop, union president Dean Angelo told the Chicago Sun-Times Wednesday evening.

Over the past several months, Van ? has appeared in court numerous times to face a judge on first-degree murder charges stemming from the October 2014 shooting. Van ? is accused of firing 16 shots at McDonald, who was seen on surveillance video walking away from police.

Van ? has pleaded not guilty and his attorney has requested a change of venue, arguing it's impossible for his client to have a fair trial in Cook County.

Already there has been heavy pushback against Van ? 's new role. Father Michael Pfleger, a Roman Catholic priest and social activist, took to Facebook late Wednesday after news of the hiring broke. His heated post garnered more than 1,000 shares in just 10 hours.

Other activists followed suit, planning demonstrations for outside the FOP at both noon and 6:30 p.m.

"The F.O.P. just declared war with the people of Chicago," wrote Jedidiah Brown. "The ultimate slap in the face is to hire a man who shot a child sixteen times."

Prosecutor Bill Delaney had asked that Van ? remain held without bond on Nov. 30, 2015, but the judge rejected that, saying everyone is presumed innocent. He set Van ? ’s bail at $1.5 million. Five hours later, Van ? posted bond and walked out of jail.

Van ? is currently stripped of his police powers and is on unpaid status. His new job is considered to be at a level slightly higher than that of a typical security guard, according to the Sun-Times.

"He might be on the roof, he might be in the office, he does anything we need," Angelo told the newspaper, adding that the hiring of Van ? is not an unprecedented move.

"We’ve probably had 100 people in no-pay status who we got jobs or hired at the hall," he told the Sun-Times. "This is nothing new."

In an interview with The Associated Press, Angelo said Van ? 's suspension has been a "very difficult situation, financially" for the husband and father, adding that the union would do the same for any CPD officer.

Van ? had been turned down for all other jobs, Angelo said, and his wife's business had to close its doors due to an onslaught of threats against the officer and his family.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, the ? a janitor.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you savagely shoot someone 16 times you are supposed to lose your comfortable lifestyle. In a just world he to would be dead. js
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    he's a ? janitor
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I believed he was really going to do some janitoring it would be one thing. But what it looks to me like is a way for them to give him a salary.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    If I believed he was really going to do some janitoring it would be one thing. But what it looks to me like is a way for them to give him a salary.

He's probably the highest paid janitor in Chi.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »

Same thing I was thinking.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/laquanmcdonald/ct-laquan-mcdonald-jason-van-? -court-met-20160323-20160331-story.html
    Group slams police union hire of officer charged in Laquan McDonald shooting

A handful of demonstrators gathered Thursday outside Chicago police union headquarters to denounce the hiring of Jason Van ? , the officer charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald.

Dean Angelo, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Chicago Lodge 7, said the union hired Van ? as a janitor about three weeks ago.

"It's a slap in the face to Chicago residents," said activist Ja'Mal Green.

Protesters said the police union should not have given a job to an officer charged with murder at a time when the Chicago Police Department is trying to regain trust in local communities.

Green and other demonstrators demanded to speak with Angelo and called for Van ? to be fired. They were blocked from the door by a row of officers.

"If I was a citizen in Chicago, and I murdered somebody ... no job would hire me," said protester Jared Steverson. "Treat him as you would treat any regular citizen."

Cornelius Longstreet, a retired Chicago police detective and former union member, also spoke against the hiring, saying the union was "sending a bad message."

Gary Snow, of the south suburbs, was the lone police supporter. "The FOP has the authority to hire who they want to hire," he said.

Snow was asked to leave by officers after a tense confrontation with protesters.

A second protest is planned at the building at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

"We're going to say to the leaders, to the politicians, to Dean Angelo, this stuff is coming to an end, being peaceful, marching," Green said. "I'm not saying that we're going to be violent ... but what I'm saying is, we're tired."

The Police Department and its handling of police shootings have been in the spotlight as a result of the case of McDonald, a 17-year-old African-American who was fatally shot by Van ? , a white officer, in October 2014. A dash-cam video captured the shooting of McDonald, who was holding a knife when he was shot 16 times by Van ? . He was charged in November in the on-duty killing just hours before the court-ordered release of the video.

Angelo said Van ? , who was suspended without pay from the department after he was charged, is in a "very difficult situation, financially." Angelo said the union would do the same for any Chicago officer.

The union said Van ? lost other jobs because of publicity around the case, and threats closed his wife's business.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well for one he's a janitor and he's innocent till proven guilty...

On the other hand you know damn well why they hired him...you know they wouldn't hire a black man with a marijuana possession case pending.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Janitor and "jack-of-all-trades""

Yeah we know what that means.