achers Have Pretty Low Opinions Of Their Black Students

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56fc0d5ae4b0a06d580468b7

White teachers tend to have a lot more faith in the abilities of students who look like them, according to a new study.

The study from Johns Hopkins and American University researchers found when white and black teachers were asked about the same student, white teachers had comparatively negative predictions for their students of color.

The research was published in the journal Economics of Education Review. Conclusions are based on a data set from a 2002 longitudinal study that followed over 8,000 10th-grade students. Included in the data set was a survey where reading and math teachers were asked about the long-term capabilities of the same student. Researchers stratified survey answers by the race and gender of teachers and students.

The results are disheartening.

Advertisement

AdChoices
When asked to rank the likelihood that their students would graduate, white teachers (and other non-black educators) were 12 percentage points more likely than black teachers to say their black students wouldn’t finish high school. On the other hand, black teachers had similar estimations of both their black and white students. Non-black educators were also significantly less likely to predict that their black students would complete college.

White teachers had particularly harsh predictions for black boys. Non-black teachers thought their black male students were 5 percent less likely to graduate high school than their black female students.

The study is the first step in a larger research project to determine how teacher expectations impact student outcomes, said Johns Hopkins University economist Nicholas Papageorge, who co-authored the study. This study does not yet show causation between teacher expectations and outcomes, but it does indicate a systemic bias. He called the results “shocking and alarming.”

“What I would like to do is make teachers aware of biases,” Papageorge said on the question of whether teachers should undergo cultural competency training. “Racism is alive and well. I’m sure when people look at a black young man they have certain views, and they might not realize they have these views, and that’s really dangerous.”

The study raises questions about whether the low expectations white educators set for black students sometimes becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy — especially when the nation’s teaching force is currently overwhelmingly white and female.

“If I’m a teacher and decide that a student isn’t any good, I may be communicating that to the student,” Papageorge said in a press release. “A teacher telling a student they’re not smart will weigh heavily on how that student feels about their future and perhaps the effort they put into doing well in school.”

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not surprised but I am happy they are doing this. Also how about interviewing the parents. My son was about to get held back in school. Me and the wifey got a tutor, psychologist and starting bootcamping him on stuff. He is passing. But we know now the summer will be all about getting ahead.

Real talk how many parents are even that involved with their kids schoolwork?

I talk to teachers and professors everyday and they say THE PARENTS make a good school. Not the teachers or even the students. If you put all super smart kids in a school together but have no support from the parents. That school will be average at best. I went to a horrible school with a bad rep. All of the kids that graduated with honors had very supportive parents.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you could have taken the time to spell teachers right

It was probably a copy and paste ? up
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I pay no attention to these ? studies. If, you are the parent of a Black child and aren't aware that is this country lives and breathes white supremacy and white privilege you have failed.

What also needs to occur is Black parents cease measuring their child's worth and future on grades handed out by one of the worst education systems in one of the richest countries in the world.

I have two children both whom learn completely different. One embraces the traditional brick and mortar method. The other doesn't. Instead of forcing the other to excel or get by in a curriculum\method that doesn't suit them we found a method that works specifically for our student.

A good education is a parents responsibility and sticking them programs that don't fit there needs is lazy.

• ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But doesn't the blame fall on black folk? We were the ones that integrated into schools were them crackers told you straight up they didn't like you, so we really can't complain now because it's not like they hid their hatred of black people
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    But doesn't the blame fall on black folk? We were the ones that integrated into schools were them crackers told you straight up they didn't like you, so we really can't complain now because it's not like they hid their hatred of black people

You know how many of us will continue to look right past this truth?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »

I get what you're saying but... you know most schools are still pretty much segregated right? And it's not like the mostly black schools are exactly swimming in resources.

I'd rather come from a mixed school with books and computers and teachers that underestimated me than an all-black school with metal detectors and not enough chairs and outdated materials and teachers that underestimated me.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you please change the thread title
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went to an inner city school
    I didnt believe some of the female cac teachers there gaf about the students
    Only there for a check and perhaps some ?

Like always that aint always the case. My favorite teacher was an older german-american lady with a fat ass who was super nice and cared about her students. As kwan dai and ghostdog put it, u gotta know your kids education and security are provided by the enemy, so parents have to take a really active role in their childrens schooling.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I thought this would be common knowledge but then I remember white people are just discovering the wheel in regards to their pervasive racism.

When I was 9 I was put out of detroit public schools for a minute so I had to go to a school where I was the only ? for a year. It was blatantly obvious to me every teacher I had expected me to be dumb. Nothing but confused looks and accusations of cheating from them till they had to accept I was at the head of the school and wasn't trying. kept my grades high purely out of spit for them. I remember one exchange, a good example of how I started trolling them

Me: *Throws snowball at teachers head*

NewTeacherBish: I saw you throw that! I saw you out of my peripheral vision. Do you know what peripheral vision means?

Me: ...it means you saw out the sides of your eyes...but you have sunglasses on and I'm black..you probably think you see me everywhere

NewTeacherBish: *3588088_orig.jpg*
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprised. They tend to think African descent children are less intelligent than they are due to racist propaganda and influences, then reality check hits them hard. What would make us less intelligent to you? Propaganda doesn't equate to reality, conquering don't mean you are intelligent(Ghenghis Khan had no formal education and conquered almost as the british empire and with less time.).
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Archer is a ? ...Lana can get the D tho..and Pam