What is the best way to find a new job?

Comments

• Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    AZTG wrote: »
    question, what field are you looking for work in?

i want to work in the aviation field. thats what my degree is in but for whatever reason i have never been able to get a job nor have i had any real prospects in the industry. i live in metro atl and lockheed and delta are both here but i havent been able to get any traction. i have experience in other technical fields but ive never worked in aviation and each job that ive had takes me further away from where i want to be and makes it a little harder to go in the direction i really want to go. ? crazy and frustrating as hell.

Jsfirm.com
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AZTG wrote: »
    question, what field are you looking for work in?

i want to work in the aviation field. thats what my degree is in but for whatever reason i have never been able to get a job nor have i had any real prospects in the industry. i live in metro atl and lockheed and delta are both here but i havent been able to get any traction. i have experience in other technical fields but ive never worked in aviation and each job that ive had takes me further away from where i want to be and makes it a little harder to go in the direction i really want to go. ? crazy and frustrating as hell.

1) Move
    2) Grind
    3) Military?
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    babelipsss wrote: »
    If you have experience in aviation along with formal education and can't get hired, it has more to do with you and the personality you project. Ask someone professional in your real world to give you an honest evaluation.

I dont have any formal experience in the industry but I do have the education. Ive met with career professionals and resume writers and I've gotten positive feedback on my skill set and background but I still might gat a career counseler/coach to get more of an honest evaluation

I can tell you right there, even from my personal experience in career hunting, that right there is hurting you.

I had a degree, but didn't have any experience. All of the knowledge came from on the job and only like <5% came from what I had when I graduated college. GET EXPERIENCE! Some how some way. In my case, I had to network, network, connect, and before I knew it, my foot was in the IT field and working for a big company. So once that job ended I got another gig w/ the same company, but I did have to move. That was already mentioned on the first page too. That lack of experience is hurting because a company is looking at you like what can you bring to the table or what can you do for us?? Even w/ the education, it still might not be how they do things. Even w/ a ? resume, a company that knows you have experience will still hire you. They may have to tweak you, but its waaaay better than bringing someone in off the streets who only have education in the field.

Hope this helps mane....
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    I never got the fedex is hiring ? . They never call me for an interview

Lol

Idk about fedex but ups literally always hiring cuz ppl just up and quit everyday. But hr only has interviews like once or twice a month. So if you miss that window you SOL
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This old ? I used to work with said the best place to find jobs is the phone book he said somebody is always dying or retiring so just call a place you would like to work,ask to speak to HR and see if they have any openings
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinco wrote: »
    First of all get a professional resume. Use active wording, no passive verbiage.
    Get it reviewed by a professional. it's hard to talk about yourself.
    I use a site/app called Fiverr you can get many gigs for $5. Show your current resume to someone and they'll review it and rehab it for $5.

Here is how you play the LinkedIn Game
    You can apply to jobs all day buy through my training you're one in 5000. You need to get someone on the inside.
    USe a website like Indeed.com to find a job you're interested in.

Set your profile up on linked in. Use the same info from your personal resume.
    Look up the company/office you applied for, that you found on INdeed.com/Monster.
    -Find the HR Staffing / Recruiter / Talent Acquisition in that department and connect with them.
    - Send them an inMail and say "Hi i was researching the company and applied for position ? . I wanted to reach out to someone on-site...

They'll get it and your chances of getting pushed to the top of the pile are greater.

Yea i gotta make a linkedin i dont ? with social media at all and i feel like its hurting me in my job hunt

I finish my degree in a few weeks i been applying to a bunch of places online getting no calls

Sucks not having experience in my field (IT)

Imma most likely have to take a pay cut too if i leave my current job, no experience in IT means imma be working help desk smh
  • atribecalledgabi
    edited April 2016

Lol

Idk about fedex but ups literally always hiring cuz ppl just up and quit everyday. But hr only has interviews like once or twice a month. So if you miss that window you SOL

I lasted 2 days at that ? . ? up part is dude that hired me had reservations about hiring me because he got the sense during the interview I wouldn't stay long. I promised him that I was in it for the long haul.

Lmaoooo

I'm almost at 2 yrs. It's not that bad to me but then again we got supes that are pushovers and my main coworkers are cool
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best tip I can give is to actually LOOK for one.
    People be looking for a job once a year and be telling everyone that they be looking.

You need to be looking consistently throughout the day.. A minimum of 3 times a day and apply apply apply.

People get rejected once and they give up and say there ain't no jobs.

I never have a problem getting a job. Even in ? ass Florida where there's a shortage. Just apply apply apply until your fingers get arthritis.

Also, I word of mouth is usually the best and guaranteed route so network network network.
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Governmentjobs.com, usajobs.gov, indeed.com
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol

I lasted 2 days at that ? . ? up part is dude that hired me had reservations about hiring me because he got the sense during the interview I wouldn't stay long. I promised him that I was in it for the long haul.

Lmaoooo

I'm almost at 2 yrs. It's not that bad to me but then again we got supes that are pushovers and my main coworkers are cool

What do u do at ups @atribecalledgabi
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    What are some ideas to land a job that I want in a reasonable amount of time without becoming angry, frustrated, ? off and tired?

That's not going to happen if you're on the outside looking in. You're going to have to network and join vocational and/or social organizations centered around the field that you want to get into. Of course, they always say join Toast Masters. If you're opened to it, Rex says start smoking cigars, sooner or later you'll meet somebody that will hook you up, move to another country, or join the military.
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    I never have a problem getting a job.

So says the pretty, hot, and sexy black girl with big ? .

• atribecalledgabi
    edited April 2016

Lol

Lmaoooo

What do u do at ups @atribecalledgabi

Loader @Vader_F_Kennedy
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at internships. A lot of them do not pay at all, but its experience that you can put in your resume for the field that you would like to work in. Its just a pain because you will be making 0 money for however long the internship is and the internship will more than likely have the hours of a full time job.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Look at internships. A lot of them do not pay at all, but its experience that you can put in your resume for the field that you would like to work in. Its just a pain because you will be making 0 money for however long the internship is and the internship will more than likely have the hours of a full time job.

most internship nowadays pay tho
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    I was going to talk about this particular topic on the next General Business conference call. I'll drop some jewels....

VOLUNTEER - this will go very far and if you do, be sure to get in touch with the head supervisor and ask if you can use them as a reference. In addition, if you can, get a volunteer number. When you have to do a background check they will see if it matches. It's about generating experience and volunteering is the best way to do that in your down time. Most employers want to know if you have good people skills. The key to volunteering is to find one main place to volunteer with for an extended period of time (typically 3 months). Most employers aren't expecting students to have direct experience that's why for entry level positions the experience requested is always vague. I've know people who worked at coffee shops with no experience of finance get entry level - good paying jobs as bankers. They got their foot in the door is what I'm trying to tell you. Volunteering goes a long way.

Look For Entry Level Positions - the hardest part for most young people is paying dues, because in all their youth you feel entitled to having the success quickly and in abundance. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it takes a long time. Either way if you're a student or don't have much experience apply for entry level positions first and work your way up. If you have experience skip this part.

These are also very important. Everything Sion listed is important, but these 2 are the most relatable ones for me as i have 0 degrees or certificates.

Everything Sion listed about volunteering is on point. In a way it is almost like an internship as you work for free and get experience in whatever you are volunteering for.

Entry level positions are important. You say your degree is in aviation. Try an entry level position, get in with the company and you do not have to necessarily work your way up, but the company will probably post job openings to all their employees, i know mine does. If a job listed is something that you got your degree in, apply for it. You may not have any work experience in the field besides schooling, but companies are much more likely to hire from within the company if they can. If they have an employee working the front desk and answering phones but has a degree/cert as a airplane mechanic, there is a chance that they will hire him for the airplane mechanic position because they have been with the company for however long and they already know they can depend on you. Granted there will possibly be the chance someone else applies that is exactly what they are looking for and may pass you up, but your chances greatly increase if you are already with the company.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. If you've been out of work for a significant amount of time, say you have a business buying and selling on EBAY but the money is inconsistent and you need benefits. If there's anything that you collect, OR CAN CONCEIVE OF COLLECTING (CDs, Video Games, Magazines, Records, CDs, old furniture, posters, baseball cards, guns, dishes, used electronics, etc.), say that's what you do. Personally I collect record albums and sell them on EBAY every once in a while, but if I was unemployed and somebody asked me what I did - thats what I'd say.

2. Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Alot of people don't understand the question. The next question is usually; Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor? I didn't realize it but I thought when you got arrested it was either a felony or a misdemeanor. I didn't know there was a third category called Petty offenses, or in New Jersey they're called Petty Disorderlies (failing to pay a parking ticket, minor shoplifting, bounced checks). When I was in my twenties, I had been arrested a few times, but I thought they were misdemeanors, turns out they were petty disorder lies. Anyway, I think its in your best interest to say "No" when they ask if you've ever been arrested or convicted of anything. I think your better off getting the job and then getting fired for lying than to tell the truth and never get hired in the first place. Thats my opinion.

3. After the job interview, don't say anything negative about the person who interviewed you or the company. Some people are so miserable with their own lives that if you say something negative about the place that you just interviewed, they'll call the person up and relay the negative information - They gossip. So don't say anything negative about the company, the job or the person that interviewed you. In fact, don't say anything negative at all unless you're the employee and you're speaking to your supervisor. Complaints go from the bottom up.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    You'll need some relevant work experience to get int he door.. See if you can do an internship or apprenticeship just to get one foot in.. From there you should start to get some traction. You may need to work for free in order to get that experience..

This right here!
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Through connections
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Cinco wrote: »
    First of all get a professional resume. Use active wording, no passive verbiage.
    Get it reviewed by a professional. it's hard to talk about yourself.
    I use a site/app called Fiverr you can get many gigs for $5. Show your current resume to someone and they'll review it and rehab it for $5.

Here is how you play the LinkedIn Game
    You can apply to jobs all day buy through my training you're one in 5000. You need to get someone on the inside.
    USe a website like Indeed.com to find a job you're interested in.

Set your profile up on linked in. Use the same info from your personal resume.
    Look up the company/office you applied for, that you found on INdeed.com/Monster.
    -Find the HR Staffing / Recruiter / Talent Acquisition in that department and connect with them.
    - Send them an inMail and say "Hi i was researching the company and applied for position ? . I wanted to reach out to someone on-site...

They'll get it and your chances of getting pushed to the top of the pile are greater.

Yea i gotta make a linkedin i dont ? with social media at all and i feel like its hurting me in my job hunt

I finish my degree in a few weeks i been applying to a bunch of places online getting no calls

Sucks not having experience in my field (IT)

Imma most likely have to take a pay cut too if i leave my current job, no experience in IT means imma be working help desk smh
    if you're not even getting the initial calls it's your resume.