Bryan Cranston & Kevin Hart To Star In Remake Of French Hit 'Intouchables'

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdl9fvu4r30qs1.cloudfront.net%2F28%2F85%2Fd93fbc8b404ab76377e3da1fae74%2Fbryan-cranston-kevin-hart.jpg

Harvey Weinstein has been trying to get a remake of the French hit "Intouchables" off the ground for at least a half decade. Over that time Paul Feig and Tom Shadyac were attached to direct at various points, with Colin Firth set for one of the lead roles, with Chris Rock, Jamie Foxx and Idris Elba rumored along the way to co-star. A couple years ago, the project was shaping up to be a Firth and Kevin Hart jam, and now, yet another change has been made.

Deadline reports that Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart are in talks to lead the movie. The original film, co-directed by Eric Toledano and Olivier Nakache, tells the based-on-a-true-story tale of the relationship of a wealthy quadriplegic and his immigrant caregiver. The picture has a big office hit globally, racked up nine César nominations (with a win for Omar Sy), and earned $426 million worldwide (with $10 million of that coming from stateside coin). And while there's no director at the moment, Feig is still set to write the script.

"...that movie is so good, so I'm trying not to stray too much, structurally, but it's actually kind of fun to write, because I'm Americanizing it, and putting my voice in it, but trying not to mess it up," Feig told us in 2012 about his approach (yeah, that's how long this has been knocking around). "I'm really excited about this one. The French version is one of the most loveable films. It's a crowd-pleaser."

Giving how long this has been developing, let's just see if it actually, finally gets moving. Or you could just go track down the original.

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of it. Odd combination. But ill check it out to show support for the ? walter white. Bryan Cranston is just Whites acting name.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so is the white guy the caregiver?
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Seems like Cranston should have picked better roles coming off of Breaking Bad. I figured he'd have blown up more kinda like Steve Carell did after The Office. I mean even though Godzilla got good reviews he got killed off in the first 30 minutes then he made a low budget indie Oscar bait type movie in Trumbo but it didn't net the awards you know it was hoping for.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original was a classic that can't be repeated, 2nd, it's horrible casting as the black dude was a serious character that gelled well with the rich paraplegic dude. They're definitely misusing Kevin Hart and just putting him in there cause he's black. Omar from the wire, Ice Cube, Marlon Wayans or DMX would've been perfect and as much as I like Bryan Cranston, a more well polished actor that's actually close minded like Clint Eastwood or Jon Voight would've made the story more powerful and interesting.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fr
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Odd combination. But ill check it out to show support for the ? walter white. Bryan Cranston is just Whites acting name.

It's a french movie....came out not that long ago
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be in Netflix.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an ideal combo
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original was a classic that can't be repeated, 2nd, it's horrible casting as the black dude was a serious character that gelled well with the rich paraplegic dude. They're definitely misusing Kevin Hart and just putting him in there cause he's black. Omar from the wire, Ice Cube, Marlon Wayans or DMX would've been perfect and as much as I like Bryan Cranston, a more well polished actor that's actually close minded like Clint Eastwood or Jon Voight would've made the story more powerful and interesting.

You lose credibility here.
  • S2J
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Seems like Cranston should have picked better roles coming off of Breaking Bad. I figured he'd have blown up more kinda like Steve Carell did after The Office. I mean even though Godzilla got good reviews he got killed off in the first 30 minutes then he made a low budget indie Oscar bait type movie in Trumbo but it didn't net the awards you know it was hoping for.

He was nominated for the best actor Oscar. The awards for the movie itself pales in comparison to that. So you lose credibility there.
  • Rampage12
    S2J wrote: »

He was nominated for the best actor Oscar. The awards for the movie itself pales in comparison to that. So you lose credibility there.

Not saying he didn't act his ass off but the movie itself got very mediocre reviews which is why I said he should pick better roles so in turn he can make better movies. Him getting nominated for Trumbo is kinda like Meryl Streep winning Best Actress for The Iron Lady.
  • S2J

Not saying he didn't act his ass off but the movie itself got very mediocre reviews which is why I said he should pick better roles so in turn he can make better movies. Him getting nominated for Trumbo is kinda like Meryl Streep winning Best Actress for The Iron Lady.

I dont understand. Best Actor noms and wins are concrete and are attached to your name forever. Way more meaningful than having a subjective 'good movie'
  • Rampage12
    edited April 2016

I dont understand. Best Actor noms and wins are concrete and are attached to your name forever. Way more meaningful than having a subjective 'good movie'

I disagree wins are more much more concrete rather than just being nominated because they needed another name to throw in there before they gave it to Leo. Cranston didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning. Quick without Googling who was all nominated for Best Actor in 2007 the year Daniel Day Lewis won it for There Will Be Blood. See not as concrete as you think is it???
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the original, Kevin Hart would be an absolutely terrible miscast. I can't see it working with him unless they go on a ridiculously different direction from the original.
  • S2J
    edited April 2016

I disagree wins are more much more concrete rather than just being nominated because they needed another name to throw in there before they gave it to Leo. Cranston didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning. Quick without Googling who was all nominated for Best Actor in 2007 the year Daniel Day Lewis won it for There Will Be Blood. See not as concrete as you think is it???

It works both ways, who was nominated for best picture n 2007? lol

And going forward, ANYTIME they cast or even mention Brian Cranston what will be his prefix? Oscar Nominated Actor Brian Cranston.

If you aint never been nominated but your movie has, ie off the top of my head Crash, you don't get that credit.

So Matt Dillon, ie, is....just Matt Dillon. Matt Dillon from Wild Things. You don't get the individual praise for being in a good movie. Best believe, you are in it for the INDIVIDUAL praise. Getting both would be a bonus

Jamie Fox won for Ray I don't beleibe the movie won anything. Will Smith was nominated for Ali I believe the movie even had bad revuiews. Same for Concussion. Denzel won, I don't think TrainIng Day won ? .
  • Rampage12

It works both ways, who was nominated for best picture n 2007? lol

And going forward, ANYTIME they cast or even mention Brian Cranston what will be his prefix? Oscar Nominated Actor Brian Cranston.

If you aint never been nominated but your movie has, ie off the top of my head Crash, you don't get that credit.

So Matt Dillon, ie, is....just Matt Dillon. Matt Dillon from Wild Things. You don't get the individual praise for being in a good movie. Best believe, you are in it for the INDIVIDUAL praise. Getting both would be a bonus

Jamie Fox won for Ray I don't beleibe the movie won anything. Will Smith was nominated for Ali I believe the movie even had bad revuiews. Same for Concussion. Denzel won, I don't think TrainIng Day won ? .

No Country For Old Men beat out There Will Be Blood, Juno, Michael Clayton, and I'm probably forgetting a few for Best Picture in 2007. No Googles. That was a phenomenal year for movies and I remember everyone thought There Will Be Blood was gonna win and I was rooting hard for No Country For Old Men because I thought it was a much better film.
  • S2J
    ^^thats cool bro but what about the rst of my post lol

Bottom line, your original point makes absolutely no sense lol An actor is nominated for a best acting oscar and youre questioning his choice in movies

Jamie Foxx won for Ray, Ray wasnt nominated for jack, pretty sure he's ok with that decision.