? Tonk Man: UFC is Hurting WWE

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Wrestling was a fad," that's all really need to be said. Its time to give up the "cool factor," of wrestling. Its always been a niche product and like all niche products it had its time.

• willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listened to this last week when I was on Youtube and I must say HTM was very honest and open-minded about how he feels about today's wrestling product. When I first clicked on the video I thought it was just gone be HTM talking out the side of his ass like he has in past shoot videos and interviews.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    "Wrestling was a fad," that's all really need to be said. Its time to give up the "cool factor," of wrestling. Its always been a niche product and like all niche products it had its time.

I wish the majority of the fans would understand this.

There is never gonna be another wrestling boom. Too many entertainment alternatives out there for that to ever happen again.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah the WWE monopoly killed wrestling.

They lost me when they started doing that draft ? . Went from seeing my favorite wrestler on Mondays & Thursdays to just missing it all together. I couldn't catch Smack Down on Thursdays in high school because I was always busy. So I lost track of the storyline and eventually said ? it. Too many characters to keep up with. Then there wasn't any alternative.
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WCW going out of power ? Wrestling, with no competition for WWE, why do they need to try have a dope product? Only time they need to try is a big PPV
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    WCW going out of power ? Wrestling, with no competition for WWE, why do they need to try have a dope product? Only time they need to try is a big PPV

Yup once WCW went out of business in March '01 it really ? up mainstream wrestling imo. At the time I thought it was cool because all the biggest names from ECW & WCW were all going to be under the same roof.

The first few years was cool with the brand draft were cool because they had so much talent that not all of it could be showcased on Raw. TNA tried to cut into the WWE monopoly but never could give Vince a run for his money. Then 2005 happened and that's when wrestling was starting a slow decline. Vince just started to get lazy or didn't give a ? about the product.

Looking back on it the demise of ECW & WCW was bad for fans & mainstream wrestling.

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options

They lost me when they started doing that draft ? . Went from seeing my favorite wrestler on Mondays & Thursdays to just missing it all together. I couldn't catch Smack Down on Thursdays in high school because I was always busy. So I lost track of the storyline and eventually said ? it. Too many characters to keep up with. Then there wasn't any alternative.

This.

I wouldnt necessarily say "I grew out of it" but that draft totally killed it for me. It just felt forced and unnecessary. I lost track of ? and things got stale. Wasn't feelin a lot of the new talent, wasn't feeling the Cena push. WWE just lost its juice IMO.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah what @Turfaholic said.... The only losers in the monday night wars were the fans. A wrestler could start in ecw, go to wcw to make his face known, go to wwe to reinvent himself. Then back to wcw as a proven legit wrestler and the audience appreciated it. They tried that ? with lord tensai all in house and it was a disaster. Hopefully they get a clue when the wrestlers that get the biggest pop are part timers and new japan transplants..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree on the above posts.

Having competiton is what makes sports entertainment. Im not up to date on boxing, but are there a superior promotor in the U.S these days? If yes, then you can make the same point about boxing, to an extent
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This.

I wouldnt necessarily say "I grew out of it" but that draft totally killed it for me. It just felt forced and unnecessary. I lost track of ? and things got stale. Wasn't feelin a lot of the new talent, wasn't feeling the Cena push. WWE just lost its juice IMO.

When they started doing those guest celebrity hosts on RAW, I stopped watching it for a long time.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And you just started watching again, right? Just in time for Dr. Phil!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are two different animals.Wrestling boom in the 80's coincides with Gi Joe.. Your good guy all- american action heroes taking on a village/country by themselves. I outgrew wrestlinga while back.. the last time i sparingly watched it was the Rock/Stone Cold era.. i always found him corny
  • VIBE
    Options
    That's the greatness of the entertainment side of wrestling, as corny as it gets, it's it's own thing. I love it all, even the dumbest ? that I scoff at.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MMA has plateaued in my opinion. I don't seeing getting any bigger than it is now. Also, WWE pays wrestlers more than UFC fighters especially when it comes to the low card guys.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Wwe sucks for the same reason UFC sucks.

They killed off their competition and did everything they could to limit the career progression of the fighters everyone really wanted to see.

They did this to themselves.

Money has been valued over the warrior spirit.

And that goes for both "sports"

The only commonality between UFC and WWE is them ? slurping certain fighters and shoving them down peoples throats. Other than that UFC >>> WWE.

The fact that UFC can still sell PPVs and WWE needs a gimmick package called "Only 9.99" says volume about where each product is today.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • VIBE
    Options
    Kimbo
    Punk
    Cyborg
    Ronda

UFC uses its own version of gimmicks to sell
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Kimbo
    Punk
    Cyborg
    Ronda

UFC uses its own version of gimmicks to sell
    How are these 2 women gimmicks?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wwe sucks for the same reason UFC sucks.

They killed off their competition and did everything they could to limit the career progression of the fighters everyone really wanted to see.

They did this to themselves.

Money has been valued over the warrior spirit.

And that goes for both "sports"

The only commonality between UFC and WWE is them ? slurping certain fighters and shoving them down peoples throats. Other than that UFC >>> WWE.

The fact that UFC can still sell PPVs and WWE needs a gimmick package called "Only 9.99" says volume about where each product is today.

Fight Pass ? ?
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basically the same ? that happened with the quality of Madden.

Without competition people/companies get lazy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options