Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight (2015)

15678911»

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw it this evening not torrented but on the IMAX screen. Kudos to him for shooting it in Panavision reel (70mm) giving it a proper Westernised feel and using the legendary Ennio Morricone to produce the score..

One thing you gotta give Tarantino credit for is to be able to create interesting dialogue out of nothing really; the central plot was around the woman in captivity resulting in lots of people getting killed or maimed in a day over a running time of over 2 hours.

Being as it was after the American Civil War, I noticed the racial hatred as a backdrop in certain scenes but Samuel L. Jackson neutered that in the script

The violence in Tarantino's movies are always pulp like (the splurts and splutter of blood and body matter) and he always picks Hollywood outcasts in his films (Russell, Dern, Madsen, Roth)

I also liked the costume design and production design as the camera zoomed in on each of the characters you noticed their winter gear; tough and worn but smart looking.. .

I'll give it 4/5 stars. I prefer it to Django Unchained. .

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Good movie. i hate walton goggins (he will always be ? shane to me) but he did his thing in this. Rofllll @ marques story.

I liked how you couldn't trust anybody. Up until the credits rolled i thought for sure sheriff or marques would turn on the other one. This movie was unapologetically HOH. Literally EVERY female got ? up lol.

This is also the first qt movie where i felt the n bombs were gratuitous. He coulda chopped about 15.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I gotta compare Sam Jack and QT into a HipHop duo it'd be Run The Jewels (El-P and Killer Mike)

I already know Jackson's view on "? " via an interview he gave whilst promoting Django. He don't give a ? if Whites say it hence the professional partnership with Tarantino..
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolly sam jackson lol.
  • YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Just saw it. Good movie. Typical Taratino movie. The whole movie felt like that scene in Inglorious ? where the London spy gets made. Great cast and everyone held their own but Madsen and Roth felt under-utilised. Roth definitely in 'Waltz' mode. I'm not sure if it worked without proper context given.

Samuel L, Kurt, the Shield guy and Jennifer all hold it down. The dialogue was funny and serious at the same time. I love how he uses the historic backdrop to drive story and develop the character.

Tarantino love him or hate him, racist or not, He makes interesting, creative movies. Overall 7.5-8. I'll have to see it again.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw this 5 times
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked it. Funny, direct, entertainin'. Wasn't feelin' the music in the last scene and like many have said, that ? ? feels thrown on. Wasn't too bad before they got to the room. Hangman seemed to make it a point to not say ? and seemed hurt when he found out about the letter.

The ? was excellent and so were Russell and SLJ
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just saw this movie.....not bad....I was ? how they did the black folks towards the end of the movie.....Samuel L and Kurt Russell were hilarious....for this role Kurt Russell should be inducted into the east wing of the Hard on Hoes Hall of Fame....cot damn!
  • VanguardBLK
    VanguardBLK Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    Hard to hate and difficult to love.

Really thought it was going in a different direction politically.

Then I remembered this was Tarantino, the same man who thinks Django Unchained finally put the issue of slavery into open discussion as if nobody had ever done that before.

Overall its enjoyable on a surface level.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Finally watched. I missed out on theaters and didnt wanna ? with the bootleg. I grabbed a Digital Copy last night for $6.

Great storytelling. Slow for a tarantino film but it didnt even feel like 3hrs to me because it kept my attention.

Like someone said its Reservior Dogs in old west.

BTW Minnie did not really hate Mexicans. It was one of SLJ's lies. (Hopefully just like the ? sucking)
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching this now it's a great movie!
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    313 wayz wrote: »
    just saw this movie.....not bad....I was ? how they did the black folks towards the end of the movie.....Samuel L and Kurt Russell were hilarious....for this role Kurt Russell should be inducted into the east wing of the Hard on Hoes Hall of Fame....cot damn!

Bruh the whole cast got did ? it wasnt just the black folks. But yeah Tarantino is officially back in his bag.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Dope movie, but I was weak as ? when Sam Jackson was talking about he made that old white man's son blow him in the snow.

Lmao smh
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Just saw this very good movie but way too long. My fav. part was when Sam Jackson's character was telling the racist general the story of what he did to his son. The amount of ownage in that scene was incredible. 7/10