Hillbilly Sheriff from South Carolina calls the NAACP a 'racist group'...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20160421/ARTICLES/160429906
Spartanburg sheriff calls NAACP 'racist group'

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright says the comments he made about racism and minority groups at a meeting recently are being twisted into "political nonsense."

During a talk at a Greenville Spartanburg Republican Women meeting April 7, Wright called the NAACP and Ku Klux ? racist groups. He was responding to a question about the Ferguson, Mo., officer-involved shooting.

He told the group the "most racist people in America right now sometimes are even minorities."

"I feel like that (NAACP) is a racist group,
as well as the KKK. I don't care about them either," he said during the meeting. "I don't want to be a part of no group that's got something to do just because of your color. I don't think they're right."

He said residents should love their neighbors regardless of their race or political affiliations. He also said that the Sheriff's Office chaplain is African American and "doesn't buy into that mess."

"If we would quit worrying about Democrats and Republicans when we're trying to help people and black and white and just love our neighbors like ? told us to, we're going to be better, we're just going to be better."

In an interview with the Herald-Journal, Wright somewhat softened his comments on racism.

He said smaller groups of people who claim to be with the NAACP are "sometimes racist."

"If anybody thinks I don't like somebody because of their race, yeah, that's taken way out of context," Wright said. "It just seems to me that some of the most racist people are minorities. I don't get into the NAACP or the KKK or any other group of people that doesn't like somebody because of their color. Christ made us all the same."

He said Martin Luther King Jr. started the NAACP and was the "only person in history proven to do good stuff without violence."

The NAACP was founded in 1909 by a group of people including W.E.B. Du Bois who came together in response to ongoing lynchings and the 1908 race riot in Springfield, Ill., according to the NAACP website. King was born in 1929.

Michael Brown, president of the Spartanburg NAACP chapter and a county councilman, called Wright's comments "short-sighted, racially insensitive and just ignorant."

"If you look at the history and overall mission and purpose of the NAACP, it's for the political, educational, socio-economical equality for all persons, black, white, green, whatever," Brown said. "Its mission is to eliminate any racial discrimination."

Brown said comments comparing the KKK to the NAACP "smacks you in the face" since the NAACP was formed as a response to lynching.

"This is more than a common Chuck-ism," Brown said.

Brown said the NAACP plans to hold a candidate forum May 2 for all Spartanburg County candidates running for office this year. Wright is running for re-election against challenger Russell Lynch, and both will be invited, Brown said.

Wright dismissed the flap over his remarks as "nothing more than political nonsense."

"It's a desperate attempt to try to smear me but it's not going to work," Wright said "I have a great, great relationship with all the communities in our county."

Karen Martin, a member of the GSP Republican Women, said she missed the April 7 meeting but felt Wright's comments were not out of line.

"I think that Sheriff Wright is correct in labeling any group that makes a decision or has in its mission statement a propensity to support one group of people based on skin color," Martin said. "I don't think this will hurt Chuck Wright in the least."

tumblr_mbalteuL9J1qcjqew.gif

Comments

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If people were really treated equally there wouldn't be a naacp....
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://m.wyff4.com/news/sheriff-says-naacp-is-racist-like-the-kkk/39123734
    Russell Lynch, who is running against Sheriff Wright as an independent, responded to the comments saying, "Comments like this are not conducive to solving those problems and addressing those issues and building those relationships with anybody, minorities included. These kind of comments are not conducive with that happening. It's an embarrassment to a law enforcement for a law enforcement professional to sum a group like the NAACP up as being a racist organization."

Lynch said he has a different opinion of the local branch of the NAACP.

"... It does trouble me," he said. "Because the group I've been dealing with in Spartanburg, they've been nothing but good people."

Wright called Lynch's comments a "political bashing."

"This is a political bashing, that's all it is, to try to stir up controversy to draw some attention," Wright said.

"I don't care about any group of people who don't like people just because of whatever color ? made you. I don't get into any group that does that. We have an NAACP here in Spartanburg that tries to help everybody. There's a very small group within that group. They're divisive, and I don't buy into that mess," Wright said.

"I certainly wasn't pointing a finger at anybody. I don't care about any group or any person who doesn't respect you just because of whatever color ? made you," Wright said.

Wright is running for his 4th term as sheriff. Lynch and Wright are currently the only people in the race.

britney-confused.gif
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dude put the NAACP before the KKK? Lol at saying "as well as the kkk" like they're some secondary ass group? That's where he ? up.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typical response from a white person who cherry-picks historical events. The KKK is a terrorist group, the NAACP is a civil rights group that promotes the civil liberties of people of color.

How do these dumb, ignorant ? get jobs?
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not suprised, most ignorant ass white ppl also say blm, and black panthers are just as bad as the kkk
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they ever give examples of how NAACP are a hate group?

Amazing how in the same state as a mass shooting in a black church simply bc they're black...that shooter gets put on the same hate level as the NAACP

Cacs have to be demon spawn to believe what they believe.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it because it's my home state, but they need a Bugs Bunny gif for SC.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't want to be a part of no group that's got something to do just because of your color. I don't think they're right."

Yet he's a cop - a group that has killed more black people than the KKK could ever dream of.