Wearing bonnets in public is trash

Options
12346»

Comments

• Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol i cant believe that ? are really in here defending wearing bonnets in public. I barely walk outside with my durag because it looks very unkempt, and you all know it.

? trying to be on some pseudo intellectual ? and it aint making sense
    If this thread would've been about n*ggas rocking pants off their a*s or durags and wavecaps in public most would've agreed, use common sense and KIM. If I made a thread about n*ggas processing their hair to look more non-black, n*ggas would agree, but let me make a thread about chicks rocking weave, wigs, lacefronts, perms etc. N*ggas would find a way to disagree with me and take up for the stuff these women do.

When it involves something women do, n*ggas always feel the need to excuse BS and play devil's advocate.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Bonnets, du rags, head scarfs. Nah.

Head scarf is pushing it. I've seen some really pretty head scarves worn tastefully.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Wearing Yoga pants is not being lazy

Really? At the very least then, it can be. Wearing yoga pants to places that have nothing to do with any form of physical activity. Is she going to stretch in order get a bite at the fast food joint? Or in class?

That's not laziness it's called comfort.

• Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was raised to never walk out of the house in a scarf...definitely not pajamas. Sometimes I'm jealous of those comfortable ? , I don't want to do my hair to go to the damn store all the time. I don't do it but I'm not mad at anyone who does.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    A headscarf is not really comparable if it is worn for religious reasons.

These bonnets just give me that vibe that someone doesn't care. Similar to how n*ggas walk around with durags, wavecaps in public or how white trash walk around in pyjamas. It's laziness but with these bonnets it's also some selfhatred. These chicks are ashamed of their hair texture and wanna alter it or cover it up. That's the real issue...
  • Westie
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »

These bonnets just give me that vibe that someone doesn't care. Similar to how n*ggas walk around with durags, wavecaps in public or how white trash walk around in pyjamas. It's laziness but with these bonnets it's also some selfhatred. These chicks are ashamed of their hair texture and wanna alter it or cover it up. That's the real issue...

Lol that's quite a reach.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

Oooorrrr she looks like this underneath
    hqdefault.jpg

And would rather wrap that ? up than go out with unfinished hair
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Westie wrote: »

It actually isn't. I want you to just hear me out and honestly tell me I don't have a point. If you reply, please don't use personal attacks and cheap shaming tactics...

The women we're talking about only cover their heads with bonnets, scarfs, aunt Jemima rags etc. when their hair ain't 'did' (ie when it looks nappy). They don't want the world to see that, because they're ashamed of the way their hair grows out of their head and feel nappy hair is ugly. That's why terms like "good hair" and "bad hair" are still in use. That's why the black hair industry is a billion $ business. That sh*t is important to alot of them. Atleast give me that.

When their hair's 'did', it's processed to alter the natural state of their hair. Like, when a woman has a new weave and it's 'laid', she would want the world to see it and will not cover it with a bonnet. Matter of fact, these women we're talking about have a new confidence when they just had their new weave sewn in. We've all seen this...

• Westie
    Options

It actually isn't. I want you to just hear me out and honestly tell me I don't have a point. If you reply, please don't use personal attacks and cheap shaming tactics...

The women we're talking about only cover their heads with bonnets, scarfs, aunt Jemima rags etc. when their hair ain't 'did' (ie when it looks nappy). They don't want the world to see that, because they're ashamed of the way their hair grows out of their head and feel nappy hair is ugly. That's why terms like "good hair" and "bad hair" are still in use. That's why the black hair industry is a billion $ business. That sh*t is important to alot of them. Atleast give me that.

When their hair's 'did', it's processed to alter the natural state of their hair. Like, when a woman has a new weave and it's 'laid', she would want the world to see it and will not cover it with a bonnet. Matter of fact, these women we're talking about have a new confidence when they just had their new weave sewn in. We've all seen this...

You put entirely too much thought into that. I don't know why you imagined not done as being nappy, but it could be as simple as that your curls not being correct which is a problem that I've had having natural hair and not wanting to walk out when my hair is too puffy or frizzy or my edges aren't laid down. Or they could have a roller set in that may not be completely done. Or they just don't want to fix their hair to make it look presentable and would rather leave the ? on they had on their head before they left their house.
  • Muhannad
    Options

You put entirely too much thought into that. I don't know why you imagined not done as being nappy, but it could be as simple as that your curls not being correct which is a problem that I've had having natural hair and not wanting to walk out when my hair is too puffy or frizzy or my edges aren't laid down. Or they could have a roller set in that may not be completely done. Or they just don't want to fix their hair to make it look presentable and would rather leave the ? on they had on their head before they left their house.
    This is actually a decent post. IMO it falls short because it fails to refute most of what I posted. You just named other reasons for why women would wear these bonnets.

Let's be real. Do alot of these women have a inferiority complex for their African features including their hair? Do these women spend alot of money to alter the way their hair looks? Is the black hair industry a billion $ business? Did Chris Rock make a movie about this subject 7 years ago? If you have to answer all these questions with a yes, I'm on to something.

I respect your opinion though. I guess we gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's crazy how men have become such experts regarding everything about black women and claim to know everything regarding our hair, fashion choices and makeup.

Gayer Dena ? ... Like

tumblr_ne4pzpU98f1rr883co1_500.gif
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally have worn a bonnet once in public because I had just finished braiding my hair for a braidout (which takes over 10 hours to dry) and I needed to run to the grocery store and figured that I would rather wear the bonnet then go in there looking like Felicia from friday with the crazy braids

felicia-from-friday.jpg