California State lawmakers reject White Supremacist John Wayne Day...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.wrex.com/story/31847127/racist-statements-lead-lawmakers-to-reject-john-wayne-day

https://www.playboy.com/articles/50-years-of-the-playboy-interview-john-wayne
Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day

By DON THOMPSON
Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.

The state Assembly defeated the official ode to John Wayne Thursday after several legislators described statements he made about racial minorities and his support for the anti-communist House Un-American Activities Committee and John Birch Society.

Known as "Duke," a nickname he picked up as a boy in Glendale, California, Wayne grew into the star of movies including "The Alamo," ''The Green Berets" and "True Grit," for which he won an Academy Award, while portraying the gruff, rugged cowboys and brave soldiers who were his stock in trade.

Republican State Assemblyman Matthew Harper of Huntington Beach sought to declare May 26, 2016, as John Wayne Day to mark the day the actor was born.

"He had disturbing views towards race," objected Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Watsonville, leading off a 20-minute debate.

Alejo cited a 1971 interview with Playboy in which Wayne talked disparagingly about blacks.

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine.

Assemblyman Mike Gipson, D-Carson, who is black, said he found Wayne's comments personally offensive.

Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, cited his comments defending white Europeans' encroachment on American Indians who Wayne once said "were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

Wayne is the latest deceased white icon to recently come under attack. Former President Andrew Jackson, a slave owner and Indian fighter, is being removed from the face of the $20 bill. Princeton University recently announced that former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson's name will remain on its public policy school despite calls to remove it because he was a segregationist.

Harper's resolution fell on a 35-20 vote to what Harper called "the orthodoxy of political correctness."

"Opposing the John Wayne Day resolution is like opposing apple pie, fireworks, baseball, the Free Enterprise system and the Fourth of July!" he said later in a written statement.

Harper said he sought the resolution, ACR137, to keep up with a Texas resolution commemorating Wayne's birthday a year ago.

He represents the legislative district that includes John Wayne Airport in Orange County. The airport, among the largest in California, was renamed after Wayne's death in 1979 and hosts a nine-foot-tall statue of the actor.

"I think the assemblyman would know if there was a cross word about having the airport named after him," said Harper's spokeswoman, Madeleine Cooper.

Several lawmakers supported the resolution, recalling Wayne as an American hero whose family created a namesake cancer foundation after his death.

"He stood for those big American values that we know and we love," said Assemblyman Travis Allen, R-Huntington Beach.

Lawmakers have honored others despite controversies that eventually clouded their legacies, said Assemblyman Donald Wagner, R-Irvine. Wagner cited President Franklin Roosevelt, who has been honored despite his internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

"Every one of us is imperfect," Wagner said.

That racist saltine is right about one thing.. John Wayne does represent 'Mercia well.. Because America is all about fireworks, baseball, the Free Enterprise system, the 4th of July and apple pie.. But its also about racism,bigotry and preserving white supremacy.. And at same time denying racism exists.. Which why Wayne,apple pie & racism fit so perfectly together cause it represents the White American Way...

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Lol @ calling native Americans selfish for attempting to hold on to the small amount of land they have left and not wanting to hand it over to cacs..

It reminds me of when the Grinch was stealing from that house and the mouse found a crumb and the Grinch came back and snatched it...

grinch.jpg
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? him and the rapping Duke may he rest in ? ? ass.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? John Wayne and ? these whiny ass crackers.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun fact about Woodrew Wilson. He was the firsr president to every have a movie played at the White House and it just happened to be Birth of A Nation
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be sending tweets to these supporters of white supremacy. Just a small few in a vast political, judicial system that keeps this ? alive.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "He stood for those big American values that we know and we love," said Assemblyman Travis Allen, R-Huntington Beach.
    "I believe in white supremacy..."

Well said.

• Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad this racist CraKKKaz is dead. What a ? statement, especially the Native American part. Cacs really think everything is theirs smh
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Ohhh, so that's what Flava Flav was referring to in "Fight the Power. I've been wondering about that ? since the song came out. Now what racist ass ? did Elvis do?
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohhh, so that's what Flava Flav was referring to in "Fight the Power. I've been wondering about that ? since the song came out. Now what racist ass ? did Elvis do?

I can't think of a thing Elvis did to black people
    I mean all the white boys in Mississippi were dancing like that and writing those songs......
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 1957, a tabloid magazine named Sepia printed an article titled, "How Negroes Feel About Elvis". In that article it claimed that Elvis said, "The only thing Negroes can do for me is shine my shoes and buy my records’.”
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to see more and more of this ? . Whites are terrified of the position they're in. Think about it. The world is getting browner, their stranglehold on America is slowly being taken away, and the idea that u can be white without a higher education and still make it is becoming more and more difficult.

They're starting to feel what everyone else has had to deal with and they can't take it. Hence the resurgence in heroin and suicide. Malcolm called it chickens coming home to roost....