Rank It: Bret Hart's WCW Run

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Off The Turn Buckle
searchq=bret+hart&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UMbeUfj1Js7YyAGvi4HwBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=416#biv=i%7C29%3Bd%7CpnkiSEDKOw3-9M%3A

One if biggest and best WWF superstars of all time, the 5 time WWF Champion left the company in 1997 and spent the remainder of his illustrious career in WCW. He collected a few titles and won their world championship numerous times but the run in its totality is hated by many (including Bret himself).

What say you?

I don't think Bret's run was all that memorable outside the Owen Tribute match w/ Benoit. The dream matches with Sting and Goldberg weren't memorable, and he never had his big time match with Hogan.

He did have good matches with DDP and Benoit among a few others but ultimately he was swallowed into the ever expanding nWo stuff.

I'll give it a 3/5

Comments

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll give him 2/5

It broke my heart seeing WCW misused Bret like they did. Even though he captured the WCW title and the U.S title those reigns were not booked strong. Creative didnt know what to do with him, one week he was suppose to be face and the next he was heel, the whole NWO 2000 was on it's way to bombing. Bret in WCW didn't happen IMO
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I hated that ? .

? you Vince
    ? you Shawn
    ? you WCW
    ? you Goldberg mule kick
    ? you Bret for doing them damn ring post figure four
    ? you Stroke
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only thing good wuz da benoit match but fo most part, dat wcw run wuz funky doo doo crumbs!
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
  • jono
    Options
    I hated that ? .

? you Vince
    ? you Shawn
    ? you WCW
    ? you Goldberg mule kick
    ? you Bret for doing them damn ring post figure four
    ? you Stroke

Yeah, the stars aligned to ? over Bret.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could've been worse. Could also been a heck of a lot better 2/5
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Dude never lost to Goldberg and won the title a few times and i enjoyedthe canadian stampede ppv where he won the belt over Benoit in 99 i think ( not the owen tribute match). Plus his segments vs Goldberg was piff.

Bad side is he was WCW champ when the whole product was going down the drain and nwo black n silver was only good for bout that one week b4 we got tired of it. Plus his memorable matches seemed few and far between.

3 out of 5
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty horrible. I'm the biggest Sting mark of all time but the storyline between those two was just bad, I became a full time WWF viewer after that.
  • Pablo Uno Dos
    Pablo Uno Dos Members Posts: 45
    Options
    It was so stupid like how u have Bret just in your lap and don't set him up immediately for a showdown with hogan sting and the nwo.

Why the ? he would join the nwo as a character especially after montreal...so stupid.
  • jono
    Options
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 out of 5

Eric Bischoff & Vince Russo really did a disservice to Bret when he came to WCW. They came out of the gate wrong with Bret Hart instead of giving him a high profile match in his debut, like a match with Hogan they put him in a match with Ric Flair which made no sense from the jump imo. It would have made sense & been easy to do Hogan/Hart with Hogan ? at Hart restarting the match at Starrcade against Sting. The story could have been Hart got screwed in Montreal, now he screwed Hogan something like that.

His best feuds were with DDP & Sting but man they really misused Bret had him losing matches that made no sense for him to lose. Putting him in the nWo with Hogan just to keep him under Hogan (politics) did nothing for Bret but kept him back. By the time Bischoff & Russo knew what to do with Bret and gave him the big gold belt WCW was finished.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I grew up watching wCw . I wasn't a wwf kid. I always heard about Bret Hart being this great wrestler and when he gets to wCw he's jus an old white guy doin bitter promos in a t shirt & jeans .... Then he joined the nwo for no ? reason
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bret got paid well ... betta than he eva did in wwf truth be told he was on tha downside of a great career 3/5
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Downside of a career? Bret was perhaps at his best at the end of his WWE run dude has classics with Austin, Had the HBK rivalry, matches with Taker,Sid and still mixed it up with the mid card to show he could still go.

WCW just like most ppl say misused the hell out of him and by the time they seem to start using him it was over WCW was going down hill and the Kick ended his career.

But he sure did cake off in that year and a half or whatever it was that he was there
  • jono
    Options
    bret got paid well ... betta than he eva did in wwf truth be told he was on tha downside of a great career 3/5

While Bret was over 40 he was still doing great work. He wasn't washed by any means.