Rank It: Goldberg's WWE run

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vince ? up anything he didn't have a hand in helping create. Even if it he owns it.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How did Vince ? up Goldberg though? Goldberg came into the company feuding with The Rock and feuded with only main event players during his entire tenure.

Goldberg is one dimensional, That's not Vince's fault. He has a limited skill set and Vince tried to work within it, the only real mistake Vince made was booking that Elimination Chamber for Summerslam. Goldberg had opportunities to make the run memorable but he didnt.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    How did Vince ? up Goldberg though? Goldberg came into the company feuding with The Rock and feuded with only main event players during his entire tenure.

Goldberg is one dimensional, That's not Vince's fault. He has a limited skill set and Vince tried to work within it, the only real mistake Vince made was booking that Elimination Chamber for Summerslam. Goldberg had opportunities to make the run memorable but he didnt.

That I don't know. I had stopped watching wrestling by that point and never followed any of it at all especially since I never cared for Goldberg anyway. With that said I remember how Goldberg the character was always booked like a ? and that was his appeal to his fans. This is why he was a threat to Austin popularity wise back in 1998. From what I heard about his WWE run Vince didn't know how to book him like he was booked in WCW at all & Trips legitimately disliked him so that probably was another factor to his suspect booking. From what history has shown us (Ie: The Invasion) Vince also doesn't mind derailing anything he didn't have a hand in creating any further.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    WWE tried to ? his image. That match with Brock was his worst match but I can't blame Goldberg because WWE likes to pair powerhouse match ups with the WOAT 20 min square ups. If they fought in WCW or ECW, that match would have been a GOAT back and forth.

If you look at Goldberg's matches with Michaels, HHH, Edge, Kane, Rosey, Rock, Batista, Hell in the Cell, he showed he can fight technical wrestlers and hold an entertaining match plus people that booed him prior to him joining were rooting so he was bringing in a larger fanbase despite WWE's dislike towards him.
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    da whole run wuz doo doo butta! except fo da fued wit jericho.
    vince wuz doin his thang tryin to ? anotha wcw wrestler career in wwe cause it wasnt his creation!
    the best run for goldberg wuz da streak before it got royally ? by nashhole's ? bookin!
  • jono
    Options
    Sour wrote: »
    WWE tried to ? his image. That match with Brock was his worst match but I can't blame Goldberg because WWE likes to pair powerhouse match ups with the WOAT 20 min square ups. If they fought in WCW or ECW, that match would have been a GOAT back and forth.

If you look at Goldberg's matches with Michaels, HHH, Edge, Kane, Rosey, Rock, Batista, Hell in the Cell, he showed he can fight technical wrestlers and hold an entertaining match plus people that booed him prior to him joining were rooting so he was bringing in a larger fanbase despite WWE's dislike towards him.

How? I keep seeing people say stuff like that over and over again but no examples. What specifically did they do to harm Goldberg?

I mean they put him over Rock in his FIRST MATCH! He went over Lesnar (a star hand picked and groomed since day 1) in his LAST MATCH. Goldberg only lost like 2 matches the whole run B.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options

How? I keep seeing people say stuff like that over and over again but no examples. What specifically did they do to harm Goldberg?

I mean they put him over Rock in his FIRST MATCH! He went over Lesnar (a star hand picked and groomed since day 1) in his LAST MATCH. Goldberg only lost like 2 matches the whole run B.

They limited him from using all his abilities. They slowed him down. One thing Goldberg has as a powerhouse is speed but when he entered WWE, they slowed him down to their standards they had him crawling on the mat too much over kiddie moves that in the WCW that wouldn't stop him. If you take a look at that match with Lesnar, they had him squaring up going back and forth for a good 20 min instead of letting them wrestling and use their best. Vince knew what he was doing. When Goldberg fought Nash, Sid Vicious, Bam Bam Bigelow, he wasn't crawling on the mat for 90 minutes off a clothesline or squaring off bouncing off the ropes trying to see who can knock who down with power, it was a straight up match. That powerhouse ? is what made WWE trash when it came to heavyweight matches. That's why I liked WCW better wrestling wise but WWE had better storylines and stables. DX, Rock and Austin in the attitude era was funny as hell but overall the wrestling was not matching up with Booker T, Scott Steiner, Bret, Hogan, Kidman, Guerrero, Malenko and Goldberg in WCW. Them dudes were way better in WCW. I'll give you another example and say look what WWE did to Tazz. Dude went from a beast to a teddy bear commentator. I can understand WWE being scared of injuries and going the technical route but give the fans what they want. They had rated R storylines and PG wrestling, now they have PG storylines and PG wrestling which is what kills it along with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0GY2jTSEs
  • jono
    Options
    Taz we can agree on, what Vince did to him was criminal.

I think making Goldberg sell more actually added to him. It's already been established that He was strong and tough, no then it had to be established that he has vulnerabilities too, there's no where for him to go by plowing through opponents the way he did in WCW (where he eventually ran his course after winning the title).

You can't think Vince let's a guy go trough all his main event talent in 1 year because he was great for 1 year in WCW. Goldberg had a main event run in WWE with damn neat no undercard matches (even his match with Jericho made the marquee).

All those guys he had to sell for everyone would have had to sell for, so I don't see how he got singled out and ruined.

As far as him being slowed down, you have a point but he had to work longer matches too, he also had to do more in-ring psychology (thus more selling). That stuff takes time to develop.

Vince ruined quite a few guys and tried to ruin others but Goldberg wasnt one of those. I mean they did more damage to Booker T than they did to Goldberg.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options

I think making Goldberg sell more actually added to him. It's already been established that He was strong and tough, no then it had to be established that he has vulnerabilities too, there's no where for him to go by plowing through opponents the way he did in WCW (where he eventually ran his course after winning the title).

You can't think Vince let's a guy go trough all his main event talent in 1 year because he was great for 1 year in WCW. Goldberg had a main event run in WWE with damn neat no undercard matches (even his match with Jericho made the marquee).

All those guys he had to sell for everyone would have had to sell for, so I don't see how he got singled out and ruined.

As far as him being slowed down, you have a point but he had to work longer matches too, he also had to do more in-ring psychology (thus more selling). That stuff takes time to develop.

Vince ruined quite a few guys and tried to ruin others but Goldberg wasnt one of those. I mean they did more damage to Booker T than they did to Goldberg.

Vince ruins every African American wrestler that has no lineage or family in the WWE.

But na, Goldberg has held longer matches in WCW and had great matches against great opponents i.e. Bret Hart. WWE watered him down by making him fake vulnerabilities that in WCW wouldn't have affected him. Bret Hart and Kevin Nash have done more damage to Goldberg than Evolution hitting him with a chair in the leg. That in ring psychology is cool and all but it doesn't work for all wrestlers and that's where they ? wrestling. Some wrestlers should use it and some shouldn't. For one, Hogan, Cena, Austin, Rock, HBK never used it but yet they wanted Goldberg to follow those guidelines instead of letting him be himself thus limiting him. They use to humiliate Booker T and make him look like a ? and Austin's ? having that redneck stun him and HBK superkick him out of DX. WWE is racist where WCW, ECW, TNA are equal opportunist unfortunately. If a black man with Cena's size, talent and skill entered WWE he would never get the rep that Cena has now which is why I don't like that dude.
  • jono
    Options
    I don't see it. Goldberg's angles were fine. The ankle chair spot was done by Steve Austin on Brian Pillman in '97. The idea was to weaken Goldberg for HHH, so that was part of the plan and he went over HHH with the kayfabe injured leg, so I don't get it. He played a typical WWE face, same as Brock Lesnar, Big Show, Hogan etc.

WWE's millions were made off of creating situations where the faces had to "overcome the odds" and win. That's the scheme they used 99% of the time
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of power houses..what did yall think a bobby lashley
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    He was better in TNA, dude had the GOAT submission move. Wasn't really feeling him in WWE though.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    If a black man with Cena's size, talent and skill entered WWE he would never get the rep that Cena has now which is why I don't like that dude.

The closest they have is a black man that looks like Cena

5GWVHzF.png

nh
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nobody from wcw made a decent run in the wwe unless they left b4 vince bought wcw...

the only 2 people I can think of who did was legends ( rick flare/hulk Hogan) and booker t
    Check this out 90's baby.

Raven and his flock, The I.R.S, ricky the dragoon steanboat, road worriers, ? foley, abdula the butcher, stone cold, bran pillman and some others I can't remember right now.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Options

Agreed notice how people can only bring up his obvious Lesnar ? match but that as at the emnd. We're talking about the entire run.

His match vs the Rock was PIFF
    His Elimination Chamvber participation and killing Jericho was PIFF
    In the Royal Rumble destroying everyone from RVD to Cena was PIFF
    His feud vs Evolution was PIFF
    His matches vs HBK Henry was PIFF

The only major flaws was at the end vs Lesnar
    and the fact they made him work to beat Christian when in WCW you know that match woulda been like2-3 minutes at top
    ? even went over HHH b4 the eventual lost you knew that was gonna happen, I mean this was AS GOOD as it was gonna get.

Wrestling fans are never happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJDOjpp_nA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOtWZe2YPUU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdhCN1TMbt4
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    Goldberg is GOAT.
  • jono
    Options
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »
    Triple h is a ?

It really wasn't triple h fault....goldberg ? hisself over by not looking out for vince
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sour-Cream wrote: »

Vince ruins every African American wrestler that has no lineage or family in the WWE.

But na, Goldberg has held longer matches in WCW and had great matches against great opponents i.e. Bret Hart. WWE watered him down by making him fake vulnerabilities that in WCW wouldn't have affected him. Bret Hart and Kevin Nash have done more damage to Goldberg than Evolution hitting him with a chair in the leg. That in ring psychology is cool and all but it doesn't work for all wrestlers and that's where they ? wrestling. Some wrestlers should use it and some shouldn't. For one, Hogan, Cena, Austin, Rock, HBK never used it but yet they wanted Goldberg to follow those guidelines instead of letting him be himself thus limiting him. They use to humiliate Booker T and make him look like a ? and Austin's ? having that redneck stun him and HBK superkick him out of DX. WWE is racist where WCW, ECW, TNA are equal opportunist unfortunately. If a black man with Cena's size, talent and skill entered WWE he would never get the rep that Cena has now which is why I don't like that dude.

the ? did I just read?
  • jono
    Options
    I just watched Sid vs Goldberg for the US Title from Halloween Havoc. Jesus Christ what a dope match. It quickly became one of my favorite Goldberg matches.

The two had an I Quit Match too.

Goldberg had better matches post-streak from what I've seen. He had a dope match with Sting at Halloween Havoc as well.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    alot of WCW ? aint work in WWF

NWO tanked
    Goldberg aura aint work
    Lance Storm Boringggggg (Austin's voice)
    Sting way to late
  • vageneral08
    Options
  • vageneral08
    Options

Agreed notice how people can only bring up his obvious Lesnar ? match but that as at the emnd. We're talking about the entire run.

His match vs the Rock was PIFF
    His Elimination Chamvber participation and killing Jericho was PIFF
    In the Royal Rumble destroying everyone from RVD to Cena was PIFF
    His feud vs Evolution was PIFF
    His matches vs HBK Henry was PIFF

The only major flaws was at the end vs Lesnar
    and the fact they made him work to beat Christian when in WCW you know that match woulda been like2-3 minutes at top
    ? even went over HHH b4 the eventual lost you knew that was gonna happen, I mean this was AS GOOD as it was gonna get.

Wrestling fans are never happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJDOjpp_nA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOtWZe2YPUU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdhCN1TMbt4

That elimination chamber really wasn't ? goldberg lost by one hit of the sledgehammer where triple h got his ass whooped during the whole match that match against the rock won't good either ? was just sloppy as ?
  • vageneral08
    Options
    My bad I meant to say his match against brock was sloppy