Which Two Players Would You Rather Build A Team Around?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
Vote Or Die!!!

Which Two Players Would You Rather Build A Team Around? 28 votes

Shaq and Kobe
39%
joeyfkncrakkineedpussybless the childCoolJoecaddo manBDBIIDtexasdaking88ShizlanskyBilly_PonchoTrillfateInglewood_B 11 votes
Magic and Kareem
21%
d.greenthe_focused_onewaterproofMister B.thegreatunknownYoungRider 6 votes
Jordan and Scottie Pippen
28%
damnkpS2Jkj_da_midwest_mobstaCJits....JOHN BPiffyHazeCashmoneyDuxAggieLean. 8 votes
LeBron and Dwayne Wade
7%
_God_Vader_F_Kennedy 2 votes
Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett
0%
Isaiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman
0%
David Robinson and Tim Duncan
3%
#1hiphopjunki3 1 vote
Dr J and Moses Malone
0%
Larry Bird and Robert Parish
0%
Steve Nash and Dirk Nowinski
0%

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magic and Kareem
    Magic and the Captain were THE best Guard/Big man duo of all time. 5 rings, 8 West Conference chips, 5 MVPs between them say so.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe
    You should have put Bird and Mchale bruh
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No wilt and west? Or Baylor?

No big o and kaj?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    You should have put Bird and Mchale bruh

I picked Robert Parish because he had to guard Kareem and won 3 rings while doing it.
    Trollio wrote: »
    No wilt and west? Or Baylor?

No big o and kaj?

Would you have voted for either one?
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe
    Mchale is one of the greates players ever. Top 2 with the postmoves.

RP ain't.

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we are going by today's rules then I'm taking my guys in their prime because all you need is shooters around them and shooters are easier and cheaper to find in today's NBA as opposed to 2 athletic, smart big guys.

Jordan and Pippen are a close 2nd but with the hand checking gone and big guys being harder to find and pay for it would be more difficult to build around them in today's NBA
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe
    If we are going by today's rules then I'm taking my guys in their prime because all you need is shooters around them and shooters are easier and cheaper to find in today's NBA as opposed to 2 athletic, smart big guys.

Jordan and Pippen are a close 2nd but with the hand checking gone and big guys being harder to find and pay for it would be more difficult to build around them in today's NBA

With hand checking gone wouldn't that mean Jordan can score much easier
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Mchale is one of the greates players ever. Top 2 with the postmoves.

RP ain't.

It was a tough decision and McHale is arguably better (I think he averaged more points per game). But Robert Parish won championships while guarding Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who is, arguably, the greatest player to ever touch a basketball.

But yeah, McHale is one of the better Power forwards of his era.

But the question remains; would you have voted for Bird and McHale?
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options

Jordan and Pip would get their points but It would be harder for him to defend was my point. Not to mention your team would have to pay Pip and MJ all that money and skimp on decent rim protection. Jordan and Pip didn't need a good rim protector back in the day because they were allowed to hand check. The Bulls were a great defensive team during both championship runs.

With David and Tim you have 2 scoring big guys who aren't a complete liability at the free throw line and they both are great defenders. It's easier to surround big guys with shooters but it's harder to get quality big guys who don't have serious short comings.

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Interesting point.

Cats always talk about how easy offensive players have it today, but you rarely hear the reverse argued...

How good would great Defenders of the past have been if they couldn't hand check?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe
    Hey the Robert Parrish slander gon stop.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe

Jordan and Pip would get their points but It would be harder for him to defend was my point. Not to mention your team would have to pay Pip and MJ all that money and skimp on decent rim protection. Jordan and Pip didn't need a good rim protector back in the day because they were allowed to hand check. The Bulls were a great defensive team during both championship runs.

With David and Tim you have 2 scoring big guys who aren't a complete liability at the free throw line and they both are great defenders. It's easier to surround big guys with shooters but it's harder to get quality big guys who don't have serious short comings.

Bulls always had great ALL Around defense.

A big can't win without a great wing player. That's a fact.

It's easier to surround great wings with serviceable big

Jordan
    Kobe
    LBJ
    Curry
    Wade
    Durant
    Harden

This ain't 70's and 80's
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe
    If they had just managed to get their heads out of their ? and Shaq come into camp in shape and Kobe dialed back his MJ obsession just a tad... They could've had at least 6
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options

Bulls always had great ALL Around defense.

A big can't win without a great wing player. That's a fact.

It's easier to surround great wings with serviceable big

Jordan
    Kobe
    LBJ
    Curry
    Wade
    Durant
    Harden

This ain't 70's and 80's

Wing players are easier to come by for the sheer fact that it is way more guys in that size range walking around the planet. Guys like Olajuwon, Duncan, Shaq, Robinson are damn near impossible to come by and it's no coincidence that is why big guys will always get drafted over little guys. To find a guy who is not a liability on offense and provide rim protection, all around solid defense, rebounding and demand a double team is damn near unicorn like. If you add in the fact that they can hit their free-throws at a solid clip it is a unicorn. LMAO.

Before Jordan the league was dominated by big guys winning championships (Magic is a tweener who would post and run the break, same as Bird, Pistons are the exception and they had quality bigs also).

? when Jordan 1st retired it was dominated by a big guy (Olajuwon).

When Jordan retired for good it was dominated by big guys winning championships again( Shaq, Tim, Pau, Dirk, Wallace's). LMAO.

The Heat (Bron posted and Bosh) and the Warriors are the only true teams people can say that was seriously wing based champions and they still had above solid big guys play parts on the roster.

A great big guy makes the game a whole lot easier for wing players because they are more involved with the whole game overall, they effect the game more. They guard the rim, can guard the pick and roll, shoot and score in more efficient areas on the court, rebound the ball and if they are really talented cause double teams which helps their team get easier shots.

The reason you feel the way you do about the big guys is the fact that their is very few talented big guys in the league. Your guy (Anthony Davis) is a great talent and he proved my point about how much a talented big guy can help a team by dragging that injury riddled squad to the playoffs last season. The coaching staff should get him to stop shooting 3 pointers and work more on post moves though. He would cause more damage doing that then drifting out on the perimeter shooting a shot he is just okay at.

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tmac and the dream lol
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq and Kobe
    Who is Nowinski tho?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options