Is Nintendo In Trouble

Options
13»

Comments

• HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many publishers and producers went outta business during the 'peak' times aswell, which were only peak times for Sony btw, the dreamcast flopped, MS was selling the xbox with a loss and didnt even broke even with it and the gamecube wasnt exactly a worldwide succes. The ps2 succeeded due to it being a cheap dvd player, Sega's ? ups and a shitload of other reasons.

the industry evolved fam, there are more people involved in developing triple a games (think gta 2 vs gta 5) hundreds if not thousands of indie developers and lets not forget all the IT/online aspects of gaming etc. More jobs, more work.

how can console sales be on the decline while they have been improved since last gen sans nintendo - who completly dropped the ball with the wii u and can only blame themselves for their own fuckery - and are available in more markets than ever? We got VR coming up which might completly change the game...

the gaming industry is getting larger every year, new hardware, from tablets to VR so just cause consoles are a smaller % of the industry doesnt mean the console are on the decline, it means the gaming industry is just getting larger...cause the numbers dont lie fam...
  • godoffun
    godoffun Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo has run out of ways to flim flam consumers into thinking its high end tech. The only way they are going to beat Sony now is to throw in a tied up 12 year old wearing "panda draws" with every new console purchase.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When in the last 12 years or so has Nintendo tried to present it's hardware as high end tech?

That ship sailed with the Gamecube. They presented their last decade worth of products as innovative and intuitive new ways to interact with software which they were. But never did they claim them to be ground breaking tech.
  • godoffun
    godoffun Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    When in the last 12 years or so has Nintendo tried to present it's hardware as high end tech?

That ship sailed with the Gamecube. They presented their last decade worth of products as innovative and intuitive new ways to interact with software which they were. But never did they claim them to be ground breaking tech.

So the 3ds and wii wiiu wasnt groundbreaking for consoles?
  • Broddie
    Options
    godoffun wrote: »

So the 3ds and wii wiiu wasnt groundbreaking for consoles?

Nope.

Again innovative and intuitive? Yes but it wasn't anything we've never seen before in terms of tech and Nintendo did not try to act like it was.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo got another decade of goodwill to just ? around if they wanted to. Biggest stans in gaming belong to the Nintendo crowd because nothing else sells on those consoles beyond the first party titles.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Some of Nintendo's all time greatest games have come out in the last 6 years so I can't complain. But I do want Nintendo sports games back like anothe Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball type game or a 1080 joint would be nice. They got something for every other genre including shooters and fighters but nothing for sports anymore outside of Mario Tennis.

bolded probably wont happen unless they make a deal with a big star. Sony got the baseball franchises on lock. And nintendo doesnt even own part of the mariners anymore

They owned majority stake and recently announced they'll sell most of it and will still keep 10 percent of their assets within the franchise.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/28/nintendo-selling-its-majority-stake-in-the-mariners.html

Apparently because of of what they will make in the sale they are now looking into investing cash into making movies themselves and not licensing out their IPs.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    I get some of your points.

I don't understand how you can say console sales have slowed down when the X1 and PS4 are both outpacing 360 and PS3 sales when you compare them both at this period in their life cycle.

Before they dropped folks were saying consoles were dead because mobile was taking over. Turned out to be nonsense.

They are breaking last gen pace records because in my opinion i think they gave away the house in year 2 of consoles coming out. I bought a PS4 the 2nd year it came out. It costed me $324 including 2 day shipping on Newegg. Due to that cheap price i bought a few games on the spot that after 3 months were already discounted for like $30 each (NBA 2K and EA NHL. That same black friday weekend (year 2 mind you) you could get them GTA 5 bundles cheap on black friday or even shortly after.

Imagine if PS2 gave you GTA 3 with any PS2 the 2nd year that ? dropped. Console sales would have been even more larger for year 2. Same thing with PS3 and XBOX 360 you didn't get halo editions or Metal gear editions of consoles until at least 3 or 4 years into the console. Outpacing is due to the values off the bat (and even this year they had some bomb ass Xb1 deal that was a steal.

Add to the fact video games have a much more global and 2 and a half generational market for this current gen. You have more gamers than ever before but sales are about the same/slightly higher than last gen. Gamers born in the llate 60's or 70s may have had 2 kids that became potentail gamers and now they are 16 to 23 themselves that is 2 times the gamers of age to play consoles than 15 years ago.