GOP Senator: US Suffers From ‘Under-Incarceration Problem’...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tom-cotton-us-under-incarceration-problem
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) said that the United States suffers from an “under-incarceration” problem in a Thursday speech rejecting a bipartisan criminal justice bill.

"Take a look at the facts,” Cotton told an audience at the conservative Hudson Institute think tank in Washington, D.C., according to Politico. “First, the claim that too many criminals are being jailed, that there is over-incarceration, ignores an unfortunate fact: for the vast majority of crimes, a perpetrator is never identified or arrested, let alone prosecuted, convicted, and jailed. Law enforcement is able to arrest or identify a likely perpetrator for only 19 percent of property crimes and 47 percent of violent crimes. If anything, we have an under-incarceration problem."

Cotton has spearheaded the effort to derail a bipartisan bill aimed at easing federal sentencing guidelines for non-violent offenders and allowing incarcerated offenders, many of whom were imprisoned on drug charges, to petition for reduced sentences. The bill was crafted by two Republican senators, John Cornyn of Texas and Mike Lee of Utah, and one Democratic senator, ? Durbin of Illinois.

Cotton on Thursday referred to the legislation as a “criminal-leniency bill” and cautioned that reduced sentences would “allow for the release of violent felons from prison.”

As a veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Cotton warned of the effect of releasing former inmates back into their communities.

“I saw this in Baghdad. We’ve seen it again in Afghanistan," Cotton said in a question-and-answer session after his speech, according to Politico. "Security has to come first, whether you’re in a war zone or whether you’re in the United States of America.”

The Arkansas senator said he would support efforts to improve security within prisons and “promote rehabilitation,” but expressed skepticism for “Ban the Box” efforts and restoring former felons’ voting rights, according to Politico.

The United States held some 1,561,500 prisoners in state and federal correctional facilities at the end of 2014, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. As the American Civil Liberties Union notes, the U.S. has the highest number of people in jail of any country in the world.

Comments

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea why white people who think like this say ? like this then go to church and you would think he some old white dude he's 39
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trump and the Republican party are gonna create new slaves. I keep telling y'all.

Yet, we got (black?) people in threads talking bout ? Hillary. I f she doesn't beat Trump in November's election, it's a wrap. The same ? will be on this site making threads complaining.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    Trump and the Republican party are gonna create new slaves. I keep telling y'all.

Yet, we got (black?) people in threads talking bout ? Hillary. I f she doesn't beat Trump in November's election, it's a wrap. The same ? will be on this site making threads complaining.

gonna have to go back and check..
    but if im not mistaken ? are incarcerated at a higher rate when democrats are in office..

u can feel free to correct me if im wrong.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    was jus camping wit the fam over the weekend and they started talkin politics.. gotta love my family..

but my moms know how i get.. yall think im bad on here.. anyways she hates when i talk religion and politics.. so she shut me up pretty quick but not before sayin "one thing i can say about Republicans is when they in office they let a ? get his money. hahaha" Democrats go tax u and jail u for bein broke..

when i was in county in LA, CA a democratic state may i remind u it wasnt filled wit gang members.. it was alot of ? in there on some domestic violence ? .. seems they're more of a danger to females and beat they women more then PimPs.. go figure.. and ? who couldnt pay they parkin tickets. hahaha even ? that was bangin in there was in there for drivin on suspended licenses. hahaha

oh and probation violations and weed. smmfh
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Him, Cornyn, Mike lee, Rubio, etc..are making sure their pockets stay lined with that privatized prison industrial complex money from companies like GEO.
  • bigbird_1
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ? that gotta do with us pleighboh?..
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

but if im not mistaken ? are incarcerated at a higher rate when democrats are in office..

IDGAF the alternative is ? ? if you haven't noticed. Let Trump be president while a black muslim is wanted as a suspect in a terror attack and watch how fast he put you ? into concentration camps. This dude got David Duke and the ? and Stormfront going all out volunteering for his campaign, this ? ain't a game........
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigbird_1 wrote: »
    Him, Cornyn, Mike lee, Rubio, etc..are making sure their pockets stay lined with that privatized prison industrial complex money from companies like GEO.

My thoughts exactly.....plus Cotton is talking that ? because he is on Trump's short list as a pick for VP
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiffness! wrote: »

IDGAF the alternative is ? ? if you haven't noticed. Let Trump be president while a black muslim is wanted as a suspect in a terror attack and watch how fast he put you ? into concentration camps. This dude got David Duke and the ? and Stormfront going all out volunteering for his campaign, this ? ain't a game........

And cats speak of Bernie as the devil lol
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The GOP and the Clinton's have this in common
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmmmmmm. I wonder who were the ppl who came up with, and championed the original bill.
  • bigbird_1
    The bill was crafted by two Republican senators, John Cornyn of Texas and Mike Lee of Utah, and one Democratic senator, ? Durbin of Illinois.
    D0wn wrote: »

Hmmmmmmmmm. I wonder who were the ppl who came up with, and championed the original bill.

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must know that the crime bill that led to our current state of mass incarcerations specifically of poor black and latino people which led to the overcrowding and subsequent privatization of prisons where mostly nonviolent offenders are sentenced a disproportionate amount of time in relation to their crimes and end up having to work for just enough money to live while at the same time generating massive profits for others was all thanks to Bill Clinton with the support of Hillary, right?

I'm not saying Trump would be any better but ? you couldn't have chosen a worse thread to make that statement in.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niggaaaaaaaa ? HILLARY

anigif_enhanced-30423-1397203938-7.gif
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

"President Barack Obama signed a landmark law to change drug sentencing laws. The Fair Sentencing Act reduced the massive disparity between sentences handed down to ? ? and powder ? offenders, and in the years since its implementation, the number of federal prosecutions of ? ? offenders has been cut in half."

Don't mind if I do