White Privilege: Saltine teen gets 6 months in jail after he killed 5 people in a drag race...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/nyregion/driver-in-long-island-street-race-that-killed-5-gets-jail-sentence.html?_r=0
Driver in Long Island Street Race That Killed 5 Gets Jail Sentence

MINEOLA, N.Y. — A driver who participated in a street race on Long Island that killed five other teenagers was sentenced on Friday to six months in jail and probation.

The penalty was set despite revelations from prosecutors that the driver, Cory Gloe, posted an epithet aimed at the police the day he pleaded guilty and that he had been arrested again as he awaited sentencing.

Prosecutors had pressed for a sentence of one to three years, citing his posts on social media that appeared to mock the criminal justice system. They also noted his arrest on a weapons charge, which was later dropped.

Justice Terence Murphy of State Supreme Court nevertheless granted Mr. Gloe youthful-offender status because he was 17 at the time of the crash. The judge said he thought justice would be better served by not sentencing Mr. Gloe to prison for what he called an error in judgment caused by “juvenile ignorance."

It’s been offered that movies like ‘Fast and Furious’ and TV reality shows on street racing glamorize such conduct and desensitize our youth from the dangers of such conduct,” Justice Murphy said. “I couldn’t agree more, but imprisonment won’t offer anything back to combat this danger. Education is power."

Justice Murphy also characterized Mr. Gloe’s social media posts as a “continued lack of judgment” and warned him that he would face prison time if he violated any of the terms of his probation, which will last five years.

The sentencing was met by gasps in the courtroom, which was packed with victims’ families and a crash survivor. Several gave emotional statements during the hearing.

“The youthful offender status bothers me, because he was only a month and a half from his 18th birthday the night of the accident,” Sandra Lonnborg, the mother of one of the victims, said afterward.

Mr. Gloe, now 19, apologized before hearing his sentence.

“I’m reminded of this every day and I will be for the rest of my life, and I take full responsibility for my actions,” he said in a quiet voice. He promised to “dedicate my life to young kids to make sure they don’t cause the pain that I’ve caused."

Mr. Gloe pleaded guilty in March to a 17-count indictment that included five manslaughter charges, in exchange for the six-month sentence.

He was one of two drivers competing in a drag race in Farmingdale in May 2014. The driver of the other car and four passengers died when that vehicle crashed into an approaching sport-utility vehicle. The S.U.V.’s driver and his passenger were also seriously injured. Prosecutors said Mr. Gloe had goaded the other driver into racing.

On the day Mr. Gloe pleaded guilty, he posted messages using an epithet about the police and claiming “I’ll be in and out faster than you can spin a doubt.”

The judge warned Mr. Gloe in March that his promise of a six-month term would be revoked if Mr. Gloe got into any more trouble.

He was arrested just days later during a traffic stop, in which he was a passenger. He was charged with a felony after the police found a gravity knife in the vehicle; that was dismissed after prosecutors said the driver of the vehicle told them he owned the knife.

Comments

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't a black teenager just get sentenced to 9yrs for robbing a cat of $300 with a toy gun??

I don't for the life of me get why anyone would be surprised to hear this or any other news concerning the CJS

Justice ain't never been blind, she's always been biased
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Were the 5 people he killed white?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    Were the 5 people he killed white?

I think Mexicans.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can get mad and work on voting that judge out...or sit around and complain.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

I think the judge retired after (big pay day) that sentencing.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have to understand that the criminal justice system has been largely exempt from all the gains made during the civil rights movement.

In fact, I would argue that there has been an penal "overcorrection" based upon the disproportionate numbers of blacks currently entangled in the system.

For every school desegregation and fair housing act passed, there has been a stiffening of draconian laws that target African American populations as a way to placate poor whites, and keep white supremacy firmly in place.

Sad part is, it'll only be a matter of time before he gets out and re-offends (possibly killing again) because there's no known cure for "? entitlement."
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

That won't do anything

The system is completely self-sustaining at this point

Almost any judge would have ruled the same imo
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have to understand that the criminal justice system has been largely exempt from all the gains made during the civil rights movement.

In fact, I would argue that there has been an penal "overcorrection" based upon the disproportionate numbers of blacks currently entangled in the system.

For every school desegregation and fair housing act passed, there has been a stiffening of draconian laws that target African American populations as a way to placate poor whites, and keep white supremacy firmly in place.

Sad part is, it'll only be a matter of time before he gets out and re-offends (possibly killing again) because there's no known cure for "? entitlement."

I think people really underestimate how much that original OJ acquittal ? white people off

They started going extra HAM again after that trial
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ^^^^wtf @ the Judges quotes in bold

That level of leniency would never be granted to a black youth. He might as well give the killer a ? hug.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

That level of leniency would never be granted to a black youth. He might as well gave the killer a ? hug.

To play devils advocate I know personally a handful of ? who benefitted from the 'youth act' here in DC and that ? used to (don't know if this is still the case) cover ? up to 22yrs old. ? walked away from all kinda gun and drug charges with slaps on the wrist..

But never for killing someone tho