Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em!

Options
Idiopathic Joker
Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
edited May 2016 in The Reason
o3xd6my7dvev.jpg

How the IC feel about this album? Classic? Average? What's ya thoughts?

https://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo

https://youtu.be/EX3mEXWjJfU

https://youtu.be/3dyt8xICiqU

Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em! 33 votes

Classic
84%
will grimey[Deleted User]sapp08_2001jee504optimisticachewon87gh0stRobCoLifewater ur seedsbigbird_1emaculateillestni99ainnetompetrez3IbexCleveland7venty6Idiopathic JokerStoneColdMikeyJokerzWyldBulletproof WalletsEDDIEKANE 28 votes
Average
6%
Dupacwill grimey 2 votes
Irrelevant
9%
qawshunCashmoneyDuxDoesntmatter 3 votes

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Classic
    Sion wrote: »
    Hammer had hits ? yall

These rappers today wish they had a single like Can't Touch This
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic
    ? at 12 years old I use to ? the typewriter.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was born in 86
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Classic
    This ? was everywhere. It took 2 decades for someone to outsell it.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hated Hammer when he was on top. I thought he couldn't rap and that he was wearing shiny suits and sampling hits from the 80s (a formula that Puff Daddy would later use).

Truth be told, I've never heard the album all the way through.

But in hindsight, U Can't Touch This was a monster. He's not the greatest MC but I'll give credit where credit is due.

I still wouldn't call it "Classic". I wouldn't call it "average" either.

There's gotta be another choice.

I'd say "other".
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the ? hammer was getting hate for back then, these rappers are doing today.

No, he wasn't the most lyrical but you can't deny the impact he had on hip hop as far as being the first Hip hop artist to become a worldwide superstar.

• Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Classic
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Classic album without a doubt and changed the music industry. This album was larger than life in 1990 because it was the first time hip hop was getting any respect or success on a national and global level. They didnt play actual rap songs in commercials or segues for shows in 1980s. Unless you lived in a major market like basically NY or LA in 89-90 the only time you heard rap music on the radio was on for maybe 2 hours on the weekend or watching yo mtv raps on the weekend. After this album dropped the floodgates opened for big time for hip hop. Before Jay Z, before puffy, Hammer was the first businessman in hip hop. multimillion 1990 USD deals for Pepsi, taco bell, kfc, british knights, nickelodeon, his toy line, his clothing line his board game and his cartoons. it may not be a big deal now but back in 1990 that ? was earth shattering and groundbreaking to see someone from a genre that you listen to become so huge. This album was everywhere in 90. everyone of my friends house i went to had a copy at home including us. i still have it on vinyl in my garage and my dad bought home a japanese and israel CD pressing from desert storm. our gym teacher was the meanest hag that always talked about and played Elvis music in PE and probably racist af looking back on it but she played this album every morning for each PE class when it first came out. Backpack White boys be trying to act like all them obscure underground hip hop albums they heard about after the internet were there first venture into hip hop. The album makes you get up and dance. Its a feel good album. its a party album. It had replay value unlike vanilla ice album. Hammer immediately became pop culture icon overnight without twitter or instagram or vine stunts. not on no retro-nostalgia ? like how we produce them today. They talked about him on daytime shows, all of the sitcoms at that time had heavy hammer references and parodies. Alot of yall also dont remember that sports arenas never played hip hop or black music to warm up the crowd. You cant touch this was the theme song of every sports championship event that year especially UNLV win and Oakland As summer run. YCTT opened up the door for black box, snap and all of those dance artists to eat off sporting events soundtracks in 90s. Historic and classic album from a man who got into a financial pinch (hammer never went broke, always had millions in 90s and made it back from investments by early 2000. he was the first rapper to let his lawyers work magic)

C/S. Hammer don't get the respect he deserves for basically being one of the first artist, not just in hip hop, but in music in general for partnering with other companies. I do remember all the hate he got for doing it too. Like you said today it's damn near required to have outside businesses besides Hip Hop, so much so you got ? lying about business deals.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was hip hop james brown
  • ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pop Rapper...same category as Fresh Prince and Kid n Play but still integral to the culture
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching that 3rd Bass video is hilarious. We got a White Big Daddy Kane knockoff and a lyrical Vanilla Ice popping all over the place. It's amazing the ? oversaturation makes you side with versus a clear mind.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Classic
    ? was that much ? in the barrel back then that they hated hammer for doing business deals? ? is wrong with some black men
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Classic album without a doubt and changed the music industry. This album was larger than life in 1990 because it was the first time hip hop was getting any respect or success on a national and global level. They didnt play actual rap songs in commercials or segues for shows in 1980s. Unless you lived in a major market like basically NY or LA in 89-90 the only time you heard rap music on the radio was on for maybe 2 hours on the weekend or watching yo mtv raps on the weekend. After this album dropped the floodgates opened for big time for hip hop. Before Jay Z, before puffy, Hammer was the first businessman in hip hop. multimillion 1990 USD deals for Pepsi, taco bell, kfc, british knights, nickelodeon, his toy line, his clothing line his board game and his cartoons. it may not be a big deal now but back in 1990 that ? was earth shattering and groundbreaking to see someone from a genre that you listen to become so huge. This album was everywhere in 90. everyone of my friends house i went to had a copy at home including us. i still have it on vinyl in my garage and my dad bought home a japanese and israel CD pressing from desert storm. our gym teacher was the meanest hag that always talked about and played Elvis music in PE and probably racist af looking back on it but she played this album every morning for each PE class when it first came out. Backpack White boys be trying to act like all them obscure underground hip hop albums they heard about after the internet were there first venture into hip hop. The album makes you get up and dance. Its a feel good album. its a party album. It had replay value unlike vanilla ice album. Hammer immediately became pop culture icon overnight without twitter or instagram or vine stunts. not on no retro-nostalgia ? like how we produce them today. They talked about him on daytime shows, all of the sitcoms at that time had heavy hammer references and parodies. Alot of yall also dont remember that sports arenas never played hip hop or black music to warm up the crowd. You cant touch this was the theme song of every sports championship event that year especially UNLV win and Oakland As summer run. YCTT opened up the door for black box, snap and all of those dance artists to eat off sporting events soundtracks in 90s. Historic and classic album from a man who got into a financial pinch (hammer never went broke, always had millions in 90s and made it back from investments by early 2000. he was the first rapper to let his lawyers work magic)

C/S. Hammer don't get the respect he deserves for basically being one of the first artist, not just in hip hop, but in music in general for partnering with other companies. I do remember all the hate he got for doing it too. Like you said today it's damn near required to have outside businesses besides Hip Hop, so much so you got ? lying about business deals.

While I'll admit that Hammer was the first rapper to get a breakfast cereal and a Saturday morning cartoon, lets not act like he was the one making these deals. He was exploited and his handlers took all of his money and left him for naught. He filed for bankruptcy not too long after his 2 Legit To Quit tour.

In all reality, Hammer wasn't the one making the money, he was just a tool or a puppet. Its sad that he didn't have the business acumen to realize that you can't bring 60 people on tour with you. Two or four background dancers is enough.
    smp4life wrote: »

Hammer >>> 3rd Base
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Classic
    I always hated that cracka MC Search. Ain't nobody ever checked that entitled white boy?
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic
    Feelings.... Nothing more than Feelings.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDTzbMxKs7g

Im sure many of you werent born yet when this commercial was in heavy rotation.

#Proper
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I was born in 86 and when this ? came out i thought he was the GOAT ? was everywhere
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic
    $10k to produce the album...

Sold 22 Million, first diamond rap album...

This opened the door of hip-hop to a lot of kids...

Actually seen him in concert on the tour this album spawned (En Vogue opened for him)...

It was banana's, he was encouraging the kids in floor seats to dance in the aisles and bringing them up on stage at the end for U Can't Touch This (Only thing bigger & better that I can remember seeing was MJ Thriller tour)...

Shame what happened to him, his heart was too big, too many snakes in the industry...

But Hammer was on top of the world for a few years let's not front...

And @5grand there's an interview with Big & Puff (might be the movie The Show) where they're talking about how Puff wants to be big like Hammer so yeah the parallel is definitely there...

"I got seven Mac-11's, about eight .38's
    Nine 9's, ten Mac-10's the ? never end
    You can't touch my riches
    Even if you had MC Hammer and them 357 ?
    Biggie Smalls, the millionaire, the mansion, the yacht..."
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    $10k to produce the album...

Sold 22 Million, first diamond rap album...

This opened the door of hip-hop to a lot of kids...

Actually seen him in concert on the tour this album spawned (En Vogue opened for him)...

It was banana's, he was encouraging the kids in floor seats to dance in the aisles and bringing them up on stage at the end for U Can't Touch This (Only thing bigger & better that I can remember seeing was MJ Thriller tour)...

Shame what happened to him, his heart was too big, too many snakes in the industry...

But Hammer was on top of the world for a few years let's not front...

And @5grand there's an interview with Big & Puff (might be the movie The Show) where they're talking about how Puff wants to be big like Hammer so yeah the parallel is definitely there...

"I got seven Mac-11's, about eight .38's
    Nine 9's, ten Mac-10's the ? never end
    You can't touch my riches
    Even if you had MC Hammer and them 357 ?
    Biggie Smalls, the millionaire, the mansion, the yacht..."

Yeah but my point is, MC Hammer wasn't the one making the money, his managers and agents were making the money, all he was doing was going onstage and performing. When the tour was over Hammer was broke.

And yeah, I saw Oaktown 357 at the Providence Civic Center back in 1991. Truth be told they got booed. People were throwing stuff at them. It was kinda disrespectful but honestly they didn't have any songs that were hot in the Boston area. They had a few videos but I don't know anybody that actually liked them. Then again Kid and Play got a lukewarm response at the same show. Some people were into them but a few people threw stuff at them. It was a tough crowd.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic
    I always hated that cracka MC Search. Ain't nobody ever checked that entitled white boy?

Naw I ? with Serch but Hammer did check him according to Serch

https://youtu.be/vQFlRUCp5r0