I'm sayin it now, Klay Thompson will go down as a top 5 SG All Time

124»

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Ray's best scoring year was the year before he got traded to Boston, he was in his prime, either way you switch Ray with Klay on these GS teams results would be very similar, Ray was the better overall offensive player but Klay's de deserves a little more praise, I think Ray's de is underrated though he used to play Kobe and Wade really well while in Boston

He was in his 13th season when he got to Boston & scored 17pts per game

He was not in his prime

Young Ray on the Bucks & Seattle years he was special.

Check KG and Pierce's stats and their drop in stats, it's called sacrificing stats to win

Understandable but they was all past their prime.

Nobody is in their prime 13seasons into their career.

Maybe not as athletic but from an IQ standpoint and athletic enough to dominate yea they were

An athlete not being as athletic... pretty much defines being past their prime.

KG & Allen could never land in Boston if they weren't past their prime. It wouldn't happen.

Bostons big 3 were old guys who still had mad skill. Thats why they won. Together they made up a great squad. But they weren't in their prime. Your trippin

Bruh your wrong, they all could of stayed in the situation they were in and put up prime numbers in 07-08, they were 30 years old while a 30 year old might not jump as high as he did when he was 21 hes still in the prime of his career mentally and physically, it's like saying Jordan was past his prime in 96 no, he was at his peak
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ray allen lead the team to the playoffs, mostly 6-8th seeds with a couple top 3 seeds in there

i dont see klay doing any better than that as the 1st option, if he could even match it

people bringin up that there were multiple better shooting guards than ray

well when ray was playin so were kobe, a.i., t-mac, vince etc etc

this doesnt downplay klay but his main competition for top sg is harden, and jim buckets, ehh not quite kobe/tmac level imo.

Irrelevant lol Yall using some strange logic to argue this.

Ray Allen is 1 if my favorite players all time. But its comical to think his legacy is somehow unapproachable.

Relatively speaking. ..He WASNT all that lls Hate to even type that bc thats my guy but we not talkin AI, Wade, etc.

History happens in real time . Yes, we are watching Hall of Fame players live in the flesh lol Yes, some players playing now will surpass players of yesteryear. It happens. It HAS to happen
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    S2J wrote: »
    ray allen lead the team to the playoffs, mostly 6-8th seeds with a couple top 3 seeds in there

i dont see klay doing any better than that as the 1st option, if he could even match it

this doesnt downplay klay but his main competition for top sg is harden, and jim buckets, ehh not quite kobe/tmac level imo.

Ray Allen is 1 if my favorite players all time. But its comical to think his legacy is somehow unapproachable.

Relatively speaking. ..He WASNT all that lls Hate to even type that bc thats my guy but we not talkin AI, Wade, etc.

History happens in real time . Yes, we are watching Hall of Fame players live in the flesh lol Yes, some players playing now will surpass players of yesteryear. It happens. It HAS to happen

im not sayin its impossible

im sayin "but but but ray wasnt even a top 5 sg n never lead his team past 8th seeds" sounds like stupid reasons to claim klay is better now or will easily surpass ray, klay hasnt surpassed him yet, has a lot less sg comp, and doesnt even lead a team period! people are adding accolades that aint een happened yet. bump this thread in 5-7 years n well see, until then ? this ?

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

im sayin "but but but ray wasnt even a top 5 sg n never lead his team past 8th seeds" sounds like stupid reasons to claim klay is better now or will easily surpass ray, klay hasnt surpassed him yet, has a lot less sg comp, and doesnt even lead a team period! people are adding accolades that aint een happened yet. bump this thread in 5-7 years n well see, until then ? this ?

Cosign let Klay career play out first before crowning him based on potential.
  • S2J
    You rigt but 5 years a long time man , projecting is fun lol

I hate GS but Klay the 1 guy i ? wit. Cool calm collected assassin. At 6'8? Post up too? Play D? Sick

Not even on the Ray comparison but who compares to him in the history of the league?

Glenn Rice with defense and a quicker release? Lol Crazy
  • S2J
    Its just REALLY reminiscent of the Jordan-Pippen dynamic. Pippen didnt get recognized as top 5 in the league until some time had passed, and still some people wil argue that. Its bc you have to project how much talent is in that player and how much he's sacrificing. (Not saying Klay 's top 5)

Klay is showing he's not benefiting from Steph, he's downplaying for Steph. ONLY 22ppg. Similar to Kawhi Leonard too, we can kinda project he's better than 21 points and 6 rebounds would imply. Bc of the Spurs system. Some systems/ situations make a player, some systems hold back a player. Draymond Green imo is the opposite, he's being made by the system
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Klay is better than Curry. He can score just like Curry and draws the best perimeter player every night.

• FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ray came in the same year as Kobe/AI and before T-Mac and still wasn't better than them. He got passed by.

And to keep it funky, a lot of these PGs these days are really SGs. Very few PGs are actually playing the point guard position. Harden primarily runs point on the floor, no matter where he starts. Ray Allen did what Gilbert Arenas did in Washington. Put points up and get bounced out of the playoffs.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    man none of that has nothing to do with what i said tho.
  • FlightKing
    1. "has a lot less sg comp"
    2. this doesnt downplay klay but his main competition for top sg is harden, and jim buckets, ehh not quite kobe/tmac level imo.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited May 2016
    FlightKing wrote: »
    2. this doesnt downplay klay but his main competition for top sg is harden, and jim buckets, ehh not quite kobe/tmac level imo.

1. i said klay doesnt have as much sg comp and ray played with cats like kobe, ai, tmac, vince, etc...

u say "Ray came in the same year as Kobe/AI and before T-Mac and still wasn't better than them. He got passed by."

ok i just said that ray was under them.

2. i basically am saying im not tryna downplay klay but his main comp for top sg aint on the level of ray's so why we knocking ray for "not being the top sg in his prime" when he had bigger hurdles to face to get there than klay

u say "And to keep it funky, a lot of these PGs these days are really SGs. Very few PGs are actually playing the point guard position. Harden primarily runs point on the floor, no matter where he starts. Ray Allen did what Gilbert Arenas did in Washington. Put points up and get bounced out of the playoffs"

what does that have to do with what i was saying? harden is a shooting guard period, a better playmaker than most but a 2. whos to say klay thompson wouldnt do the exact same thing if he was on those teams? on top of that with klay not being as good a rebounder or as good off the dribble as ray, it could possibly be worse. at least ray has lead teams somewhere, when klay does this yall's argument will be stronger. klay could surpass but lets not be ridiculous and downplay ray
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing wrote: »

1. i said klay doesnt have as much sg comp and ray played with cats like kobe, ai, tmac, vince, etc...

u say "Ray came in the same year as Kobe/AI and before T-Mac and still wasn't better than them. He got passed by."

ok i just said that ray was under them.

2. i basically am saying im not tryna downplay klay but his main comp for top sg aint on the level of ray's so why we knocking ray for "not being the top sg in his prime" when he had bigger hurdles to face to get there than klay

u say "And to keep it funky, a lot of these PGs these days are really SGs. Very few PGs are actually playing the point guard position. Harden primarily runs point on the floor, no matter where he starts. Ray Allen did what Gilbert Arenas did in Washington. Put points up and get bounced out of the playoffs"

what does that have to do with what i was saying? harden is a shooting guard period, a better playmaker than most but a 2. whos to say klay thompson wouldnt do the exact same thing if he was on those teams? on top of that with klay not being as good a rebounder or as good off the dribble as ray, it could possibly be worse. at least ray has lead teams somewhere, when klay does this yall's argument will be stronger. klay could surpass but lets not be ridiculous and downplay ray

I'm not trying to debate you as much as argue against Ray Allen. I'm saying that Ray Allen wasn't in that conversation then. I'm downplaying Ray.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I think Klay is better than Curry. He can score just like Curry and draws the best perimeter player every night.

No you dont
  • S2J
    Almost forgot about Klay's 37 point quarter...
  • S2J
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Klay Thompson as the go to guy would never lead a team to a NBA Finals like Drexler or Reggie. Stop it

Why?

Because he wasn't a part of the romanticized 90s era?

Because he isnt the kind of player you build around as your #1 option/go to guy.

S2J acting as if Klay was the main man, he be leading his squad nba finals, nah Klay led teams would be consistent 5-8 seeds.

Irrelevant.

He averaging 30 in the conerence finals NOW and is shining perhaps brightest among not 1, not 2, but 3 transcendent hall of fame players. So that imaginary what if ? is for the birds. He's creating history NOW
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klay Thompson as the go to guy would never lead a team to a NBA Finals like Drexler or Reggie. Stop it

Why?

Because he isnt the kind of player you build around as your #1 option/go to guy.

S2J acting as if Klay was the main man, he be leading his squad nba finals, nah Klay led teams would be consistent 5-8 seeds.

Irrelevant.

He averaging 30 in the conerence finals NOW and is shining perhaps brightest among not 1, not 2, but 3 transcendent hall of fame players. So that imaginary what if ? is for the birds. He's creating history NOW

2 of the transcendent hall of famers on Thunder dont play any defense and his game greatly benefits when best defender on the opposing team and the entire defensive gameplan is entirely focused on Curry.

The funny ? is the whole What If ? was started by you.

Ray Allen , again, was playing meaningless basketball for a non descript 8 seed caliber team in Seattle. My goodness what do you think Klay would do as a #1 option.

^^^ Your words..anyone who knows basketball knows what the results would be with Klay as #1 option would be.

It be alot like what Ray Allen did in Seattle.
  • S2J

Why?

Irrelevant.

2 of the transcendent hall of famers on Thunder dont play any defense and his game greatly benefits when best defender on the opposing team and the entire defensive gameplan is entirely focused on Curry.

The funny ? is the whole What If ? was started by you.

Ray Allen , again, was playing meaningless basketball for a non descript 8 seed caliber team in Seattle. My goodness what do you think Klay would do as a #1 option.

^^^ Your words..anyone who knows basketball knows what the results would be with Klay as #1 option would be.

It be alot like what Ray Allen did in Seattle.

Irrelevant. Are you slow or something? Lol 40 pts w/11 3s in a win or go home game 6 is all facts. ..yall continue to speak hypotheticals and subjective arguments.... Stop. :joy:

'What would Klay do as a #1' ok thats 1 blip in reply to the 'klay never avg 26 leading a team " comment. It wont happen again Lls I have 10 posts worth of facts in here please address that, sir.

• S2J
    Higher 3pt %-Klay
    More 3pters- Klay
    Defense-Klay
    Bigger overall role in his championship team's success- Ray in Boston vs Klay last year? Push. If they win it this year? Klay by a mile with a chance to win Finals MVP and completely blow away whatever Ray did. With Klay having a whole career to surpass what Ray did.

Dem 4 years in Seattle doe-Ray.

Ijs...A lot of bball to be played but you have to give me something more than "But...Its Ray! " Good talk.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The little bit of respect I had left for Ray after he left Boston to Miami for less money I lost on this day

CITY-NETS-blog427.jpg
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Higher 3pt %-Klay
    More 3pters- Klay
    Defense-Klay
    Bigger overall role in his championship team's success- Ray in Boston vs Klay last year? Push. If they win it this year? Klay by a mile with a chance to win Finals MVP and completely blow away whatever Ray did. With Klay having a whole career to surpass what Ray did.

Dem 4 years in Seattle doe-Ray.

Ijs...A lot of bball to be played but you have to give me something more than "But...Its Ray! " Good talk.

You already made your mind up about who you think is better, so what are you still arguing for? Shut the ? up about it you pretentious ingrown ? hair.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    My favorite player right now along with Kawashima
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    hell no Klay aint better than Ray Allen. Folk forget the Milwaukee Buck and Seattle days. Ray had handles and would dunk on u along with shooting.

And this. Ray Allen is my all time favorite player