Is the NBA heading into hard times?

Options
bow to royalty
bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
I made this thread last year (I tried to bump it, but it won't work). But essentially the point was is the NBA heading towards a rough patch as Lebron ages, and eventually retires that it won't have a Superstar (meaning bigger than the game, not meaning very talented), to help bring in viewers? This year had the best record in league history, Spurs chasing a perfect home record, Kobe's farewell tour, the possibility of Westbrook and Durant's last run together, and what may be the last year of this amazing aura around Lebron. All that helps the league, but you'll have probably none of it next year, so something/someone else has draw people in

With all those things being done, is the NBA going to be feeling the negative impact of Lebron fading/retiring down the road since it doesn't look like another superstar will emerge that can fill his shoes? I think this is going to lead to bad times for the NBA.

Note: Who are the mods now, so I can find out how to close this thread, and just bump the old one?

Comments

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    That thread was terrible then, as is this one lol
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    c013c81b528e21d29bf479131a425e52.jpg

Forgot about somebody?
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All you had to do was check on your threads that you made before.
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/532663/is-the-nba-on-its-way-to-a-collapse/p1

You are still wrong tho.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    That thread was terrible then, as is this one lol

I liked the last one better. Typed more, but I'm at work on my phone now, so I couldn't make my point as much. You may think it's funny. I bet NBA owners/execs don't think having one of their most iconic players ever retire, and another playing like ? while cruising to a 2-5 finals record isn't good for business.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    All you had to do was check on your threads that you made before.
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/532663/is-the-nba-on-its-way-to-a-collapse/p1

You are still wrong tho.

I did man. Commented on it, but it didn't come to the first page
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only time the league regressed was when Jordan retired.

But with the emergence of players like Kobe, Duncan, AI, the league became more team focused instead individual focus.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The only time the league regressed was when Jordan retired.

But with the emergence of players like Kobe, Duncan, AI, the league became more team focused instead individual focus.

Bruh, you remember any Cleveland fans after Bron left? You hear about a bunch of Heat fans after he went back to CLE? Player loyalty is much bigger than team loyalty in the NBA. Even people that have teams they're a fan of seem, like they root for Bron harder than their own squads a lot of the time
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    c013c81b528e21d29bf479131a425e52.jpg

Forgot about somebody?

Nah, he's great, but i don't think he'll fill Bron's shoes. Especially if he doesn't start impressing more in this series . Is he even in the top 3 scorers on his team after these first 2 games?

People also forget that he may look 12 ,but he isn't. He's 28, so his career may not last too much later than Lebron's.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2015 draft class is gonna be fun to watch 5-10 years from now especially KAT, portzingis and booker, the NBA is good
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/s don't have a clue what he's talkin about.I thought you'd have some substance or somethin this thread trash
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    T/s don't have a clue what he's talkin about.I thought you'd have some substance or somethin this thread trash

Haha, this is a lazy one. Here's the original I'm trying to bump instead of having this one.

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bro both these threads dumb as ? stick to those wack ass buccaneers
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    The threads make a valid point. The NBA is a league dependent on superstars. The ratings for these 2 finals games are the second highest ABC has had. That's HEAVILY thanks to Lebron. Warriors blowing out the Raptors by 33 isn't drawing in an insane amount of viewers. The NBA's nightmare is someone besides Lebron coming out the East. So how's it hard to believe not having Lebron around at all, could be an issue too?

Who's going to be getting Jordan comparisons next? Kobe is gone, and Bron turns 32 at the end of this year. It's funny people act like the NBA doesn't need a single individual, but Kobe played a HUGE role in expanding international interest, and Bron has carried the flag for the league for years now.

Who would be doing it if Bron hadn't been? Curry? He just became popular last year. Durant? Please.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The NBA is in the best possible position it can be right now.

Large cities are struggling but the lakers and knicks still gunna sell out or be near capacity
    Non basketball/Small Markets are popping and selling out many games (OKC, Toronto, Oakland, Portland, San Antonio). This is the maximum index you can get of attendance/people going in the gates.

Teams are playing more team ball which garners more of an older and white fanbase. They love the spurs, thunder, warriors, blazers, etc etc. And ? will always watch the nba lol.

Outside of Soccer the NBA is one of the most global team sports in the world.

They just got ESPN and TNT to pay hella money for national tv contracts.

They have stretched the season now to late june due to adding more days off in the last decade between games.

Crime in the NBA is at all time lows. The nba had character issues in past generations but the majority of these NBA players don't get in trouble and are nice. Bron and KD try to act tough but they actually are nice as ? . That helps the game be more marketable. While the NFL has more players the % of arrests are higher and some of them NFL ? are straight savages.