Future collectible cars (rare investment cars)

13»

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We never got the R5 Turbo here in the States. We got the 1st generation R5, renamed "LeCar", but Renault/AMC didn't import the 2nd gen car. We got a decent number of Renault cars here: the R5, The Fuego ('82 through '85), the 9 and 11 (rebadged as the Alliance and Encore), the 18/18i (Renault Sportwagon), the 21 (rebadged as the Medallion, then Eagle Medallion after Chrysler bought AMC), and arguably the 25 (it's the basis for the Eagle Premier, but was restyled by Italdesign).

Chrysler commissioned Renault to build a US version of the Alpine, and a few were completed (one of the changes being pop-up headlights), but the car was never imported and Chrysler's deal with Renault expired.

Of those cars, possibly the only one I can think of that could be considered a classic would be the Renault Alliance GTA mainly because it's a coupe with a convertible option and from what I just read the Renault 9 was never offered as a coupe or convertible anywhere in the world except the US.

Alliance_av.jpg

87-GTA-Convertible.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We never got the R5 Turbo here in the States. We got the 1st generation R5, renamed "LeCar", but Renault/AMC didn't import the 2nd gen car. We got a decent number of Renault cars here: the R5, The Fuego ('82 through '85), the 9 and 11 (rebadged as the Alliance and Encore), the 18/18i (Renault Sportwagon), the 21 (rebadged as the Medallion, then Eagle Medallion after Chrysler bought AMC), and arguably the 25 (it's the basis for the Eagle Premier, but was restyled by Italdesign).

Chrysler commissioned Renault to build a US version of the Alpine, and a few were completed (one of the changes being pop-up headlights), but the car was never imported and Chrysler's deal with Renault expired.

Of those cars, possibly the only one I can think of that could be considered a classic would be the Renault Alliance GTA mainly because it's a coupe with a convertible option and from what I just read the Renault 9 was never offered as a coupe or convertible anywhere in the world except the US.

Alliance_av.jpg

87-GTA-Convertible.jpg

The Renault GT 5 or Renault 5 Turbo was ridiculously quick, shame USA didnt get them as the first gen LeCar looks wack compared to what Europe got... But being a small hatchback I doubt its really a car America would take too, smaller cars never seem to back it over there, probably due to the big roads (which europe doesnt really have), hence why big America cars annoyingly dont make it over here... The SUV's you get I would ? for in right hand drive...

That GTA hardtop looks dope though...
  • konceptjones
    Just dawned on me, there's another car that had a variant only offered here in the US that is a fairly coveted car for those into Japanese rides.

32147520003_large.jpg

Looks like your normal Nissan S12 aka Silvia/200SX/Gazelle, right?

VG30_Underhood_01.jpg

couldn't be more wrong...

Americans didn't get the range of engines in the S12 that the JDM market had, only the normally aspirated 2.0L CA20E and the smaller 1.8L turbo CA18ET. In 1987 and '88 we did get a special variant of the S12 complete with the same 3.0 VG30E found in the 300ZX of the same years and the same power bump in 1988. No other country got the S12 in this configuration, not even Japan. The cars are rare as ? these days and going on to any of the Silvia forums stating you want to swap the engine will bring about the ire of the community.
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just dawned on me, there's another car that had a variant only offered here in the US that is a fairly coveted car for those into Japanese rides.

32147520003_large.jpg

VG30_Underhood_01.jpg

Americans didn't get the range of engines in the S12 that the JDM market had, only the normally aspirated 2.0L CA20E and the smaller 1.8L turbo CA18ET. In 1987 and '88 we did get a special variant of the S12 complete with the same 3.0 VG30E found in the 300ZX of the same years and the same power bump in 1988. No other country got the S12 in this configuration, not even Japan. The cars are rare as ? these days and going on to any of the Silvia forums stating you want to swap the engine will bring about the ire of the community.

I can see these going up since the ae-86 are being cut up and wrecked for drifting. I'm going to see if I can find one of these to hold on to
  • konceptjones
    Thereal_ba wrote: »

32147520003_large.jpg

VG30_Underhood_01.jpg

I can see these going up since the ae-86 are being cut up and wrecked for drifting. I'm going to see if I can find one of these to hold on to

I'm mad as ? I ever totaled my old S12. I want another one, but if I can find one I want the coupe, then I want to do an engine swap to a CA20ET 'cause they were never offered like that here in the US.

It's a shame what's happening to AE86's. I used to want the coupe version when I was in high school and after college. There was a cat running around my side of Detroit with a black GTS Twin Cam hatchback joint that I would see up and down 7 mile all the time. A lot of the old RWD Toyotas are being butchered like that, especially old Celica's and Celica Supra's.