? Dave Meltzer says Rey Mysterio was a bigger draw than Undertaker

Options
white sympathizer
white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/jil--ffBj88

Starts at 18:20

Basically says taker is all smoke and mirrors and never was a money guy.

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Edge has prepared his bed

wm26cc07.jpg
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Taker was a bigger draw the less and less he wrestled during his latter years, but I would challenge Daves logic and guarantee I could beat his Japan bootlicking ass too in it.

This ? didnt give HBK vs Taker at WM 25 a classic 5 stars right? ? his life.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless he got the receipts I don't listen to Meltzer.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe it. I've never liked Rey and was a Taker fan but when was the last time you saw peeps on TV sporting Taker merch?

You saw damn near every kid in arenas in Mysterio masks even after he peaked. Dude was a real life superhero to them while Taker barely registered with anyone who wasn't an older head.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I believe it. I've never liked Rey and was a Taker fan but when was the last time you saw peeps on TV sporting Taker merch?

You saw damn near every kid in arenas in Mysterio masks even after he peaked. Dude was a real life superhero to them while Taker barely registered with anyone who wasn't an older head.

Not since 2009
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options

Not since 2009

I took a decade off from watching this product. When I came back in 2012 he was still one of their top merch sellers. They even put Sin Cara with him to see if the same effect will rub off on his merchandise sales.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options

A huge portion of wrestling fans are Mexican which is why there are more Hispanic champs and stuff. I can see why he sells out shows.
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    his merchandise were bigger than takers
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    60,000-100,000 people didnt come to wrestlemania to see mysterio do the 619. taker's streak has been wrestlemania's main selling point for well over a decade. is that not drawing?

and of course mysterio sold more merchandise than taker. fans mostly buy what they see on tv. taker hasnt worn his t-shirts to the ring in 13 years, if he even had a t-shirt since the biker gimmick ended
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Drawing money for one event doesn't compare to drawing for multiple events. The people who bought Mysterio's merchandise came to see him. So he drew at both merchadising and the box office which makes it believable that he outdrew Taker in the long run.
  • jono
    Options
    I think there are mutliple ways to perceive who a draw is. If it was in relation to merchandise i believe Rey but box office...not buying Rey was a bigger box office draw.
  • Already Home_17
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Drawing money for one event doesn't compare to drawing for multiple events. The people who bought Mysterio's merchandise came to see him. So he drew at both merchadising and the box office which makes it believable that he outdrew Taker in the long run.

how about drawing money for thousands of events in the last 25 years?
  • Broddie
    Options

True but Taker has only become the draw he is today for about 10 of those years. Specifically since Ruthless Aggression till now. During the old days and attitude era he was outdrawn by others like Hogan and Savage, Michaels and Razor and Rock and Austin.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Once the streak was made kayfabe is when Taker became a real draw. Prior to that he wasn't moving tickets like that.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Also Meltzer has had sources with this kinda info since before Taker even went to WWF. So I give him the benefit of the doubt. He has pretty much tracked Taker's entire career there.
  • Already Home_17
    Options

True but Taker has only become the draw he is today for about 10 of those years. Specifically since Ruthless Aggression till now. During the old days and attitude era he was outdrawn by others like Hogan and Savage, Michaels and Razor and Rock and Austin.

yes he was outdrawn by those wrestlers. doesnt mean he wasnt a draw himself. he was always one of the most popular wrestlers on the roster. people came to the event to see him, therefore he's a draw. dude was a star way before the attitude era. stop with the disrespect
    Also Meltzer has had sources with this kinda info since before Taker even went to WWF. So I give him the benefit of the doubt. He has pretty much tracked Taker's entire career there.

i'll let @jono handle this
  • jono
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Unless he got the receipts I don't listen to Meltzer.

• BangEm_Bart
    Options
    I guess this is why they're trying to make Kallisto the new Rey Mysterio.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2016
    Options

yes he was outdrawn by those wrestlers. doesnt mean he wasnt a draw himself. he was always one of the most popular wrestlers on the roster. people came to the event to see him, therefore he's a draw. dude was a star way before the attitude era. stop with the disrespect

What disrespect? See this is the thing. People looking at this personally lmao. I've never liked Rey Mysterio not in WCW or in WWE. I've liked Taker since the days when he was chokeslamming Hogan. That has nothing to do with using objective logic in this kinda convo.

Mysterio appealed to a much wider demographic than Taker did. 2 particular money making pieces of the overall audience (families with young kids, latinos especially the huge mexican wrestling audience) that Taker could never really hook especially during Mysterio's peak. So with that in mind it stands to reason that it's very possible that he made the company more money overall.
    i'll let @jono handle this

You guys do what you want. I'll keep giving the only credible journalist in that entire industry for over 3 decades the benefit of the doubt. Something tells me he may be more in the know about ? like this.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Being around the longest just means you were around the longest. I respect Ariel Helwanis opinion MMA more than I respect Melzters in pro wrestling.

I'm pretty sure hes extra bias against American pro wrestling as a whole.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont doubt this. Up until the last decade where Undertaker had that legend loyalty from the fans, he was always more over as a heel. He spent most of his time as a babyface in the upper midcard/co-headliner. Most of his main event title pushes came as a heel and his one lengthy title reign as a babyface in the 90s was during the lowest era of popularity for the WWF. Plus, Taker's appearances have been far more limited in the last 10 years than Rey. How many house shows has Taker even appeared at since 06? With Taker hardly being apart of the active roster anymore and mostly being limited to WM appearances, that hurts his merchandise sales.

As far as I know, Rey Mysterio on the other hand has been a babyface for his entire career. If you just factor the US, Taker might have him beat. But Rey has die hard loyalty in Mexico and is much more family friendly. Comparing Taker to Mysterio is like comparing an R-rated Action movie to an Animated movie. Taker may bring in more fellas, but Rey's bringing in the women and children.