‘Sicario’ Sequel Lands A Title And Director, But Loses Emily Blunt

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lionsgate and Black Label Media are reportedly nearing a deal for “Gomorrah” and “Suburra” director Stefano Sollima to helm the sequel to the 2015 crime thriller “Sicario.”

Deadline confirms that the followup, called “Soldado,” centers on Alejandro Gillick, the enigmatic “consultant” played in the original by Benicio Del Toro. While Emily Blunt won’t return, Josh Brolin will reprise his role as CIA Agent Matt Graver, who’ll reteam with Del Toro’s character to monitor what — and who — is being smuggled across the U.S./Mexico border through tunnels.

Produced for just $30 million, “Sicario” grossed $84 million worldwide, and earned three Academy Award nominations. The film also sparked controversy with its depiction of Juarez, Mexico.

Like “Sicario,” “Soldado” is written by Taylor Sheridan. Production is targeted to begin sometime this fall.

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm there on opening weekend.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that movie was dope
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Benico and Brolin coming back is I need. Emily Blunt did ok in the first one, but contribute much except stand there and get verbally and physically abused.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dont need Blunt for the sequel

The way it ended i assume her character was so shook she quit her job and now works in her hometown checkin groceries.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Benico and Brolin coming back is I need. Emily Blunt did ok in the first one, but contribute much except stand there and get verbally and physically abused.

Although im not bothered about her returning, Blunt was excellent in the first film, there's a lot more going on there than just her having to stand there.

I really don't think there's many other actresses around at the moment who could have pulled that role off.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

Although im not bothered about her returning, Blunt was excellent in the first film, there's a lot more going on there than just her having to stand there.

I really don't think there's many other actresses around at the moment who could have pulled that role off.

I aint knockin her, she did a fine job, but there was a lot of scene stealers. Benicio, Brolin, Bernthal.
  • lazypakman
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

I aint knockin her, she did a fine job, but there was a lot of scene stealers. Benicio, Brolin, Bernthal.

Del toro not even being nominated (along with her) was a joke.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The way the first film ended.. with her at her flat it makes sense that she wouldn't be returning due to the murk of Mexico and drug dealing

I think she's even expecting a child in real life; I saw pics of her in the papers
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Feel Some Type of Way That Director From Sicario Isn't Returning I liked What He Did With The Material I Also Highly Enjoyed Prisoners Which Will Go Down As A Cult Classic...Gomorrah Was Dope So I'm Sure Soldado Is Good Maybe Even Better Hands...Brolin And Del Torro Are Back And That A First Day Watch For Me As Well On Those Names Alone...Emily Blount Isn't A Huge Loss IMO Shes Talented But Making This Face Was The Extent Of Acting For Most Of The Film:

sicario-emily-blunt.jpg
    emily-blunt-sicario1.jpg
    emily-blunt.jpg

• lazypakman
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    I Feel Some Type of Way That Director From Sicario Isn't Returning I liked What He Did With The Material I Also Highly Enjoyed Prisoners Which Will Go Down As A Cult Classic...

You should check out one of his previous films 'Incendies', if you don't mind subtitles..Still his best film for me, really stuck under the skin for a long time.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sicario was good as ? . Benicio>>
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Emily Blunt was great in the first one though.