How Would You Quantify The Greatest Team Of All Time?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Warriors were 73-9 in the regular season. If they win this championship, would it be possible to argue that there was a greater team?

If they lose to Cleveland you could easily say Cleveland is better but if Golden State wins, then numbers don't lie.

In football the 72 Dolphins went 14-0 on the regular season and went on to win the championship. They're the only undefeated team since the Superbowl era.

In 2007 the Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season but lost to the Giants in the Superbowl so I don't see how you could argue they were better than the 72 Dolphins.

When discussing the greatest team of all time, is it strictly numbers? Is it a simple matter of your win/loss record?

Is the team that had the best record that won the championship automatically the greatest team of all time?

If Golden State wins, does that make them inherently better than the 96 Bulls?

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The answer no one wants to admit is it depends on not only how their story ends but also the teams they beat

Right now its 'How dare you compare these lucky ass ? in this watered down league"

Let's examine a few things

1) What if they become the first modern squad to win 4 in a row...what ifbthey win 6, qhat if Steph finishes at top 10 ever...all that would make people lok back at these titles WAY differently

2) Jordan denied Barkley, Ewing, Malone, Reggie from getting rings. Elevates his,and that squads stock.

Well what if GS prevents Bron from winning another, plus KD, Westbrook, Paul, Kwahi from gettin another , etc...Towns. ..a Minnesota super team. ..and what if THOSE guys in,addition to he already HOFers become all timers. ..now GS would be magnified i, hindsight bc "It aint how many fights you won, its who you fought"

Too early to tell
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    But then you're judging things qualitatively instead of quantitatively.

I'm saying from a strictly quantitative perspective, is the team with the best record that wins the championship the best team ever?

If Golden State trades Curry next year and the team breaks up and everybody goes their separate ways then they probably won't 3peat. But that doesn't answer whether or not THIS YEAR's Warriors are the best team ever assembled.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

I'm saying from a strictly quantitative perspective, is the team with the best record that wins the championship the best team ever?

If Golden State trades Curry next year and the team breaks up and everybody goes their separate ways then they probably won't 3peat. But that doesn't answer whether or not THIS YEAR's Warriors are the best team ever assembled.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »
    t/s is a ?

You're a ?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    t/s is a ?

You're a ?

Your mother should've aborted you
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lol @ quantitative instead of qualtitative :joy:

You can tell when a ? just took a class cant you lls

In that case they won 73, conversation over.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think it depends on who you ask. Take that early 2000's Mariners team that won 116 games, if they won the WS would they be considered the best ever? As far as a record setting season, yes but if you ask some baseball historians they'd might say 27 Yankees. Not only did they when the WS but the team had all time greats too.

IMO the Warriors will be judged on were Steph, Kay, and Draymond end up when their careers are over. Was this a great 2 year run or do they continue for the next 6/7 years and rack up 2/3 chips along the way and be talked about like the 80's Lakers, 90's Bulls or the 80's/60's Celtics.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You cannot objectively quantify something as multifaceted, variable dependent, and subjective as "the greatest NBA Basketball team ever"...

You can, however, use data to support an educated opinion
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    t/s is a ?

You're a ?

Oh the ? irony
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do you quantify the best team ever? Statistics...but if we went off statistics the Celtics of old would be considered the best team ever and Bill Russell or Wilt would be considered the GOAT. You have to look at more than just numbers...therw is a lot of variables.

For instance...if the Warriors win this series...goes well for their legacy...the cavs are no pushover team. Last year's victory will always be brushed aside due to injury. But this finals run through OKC and Cavs is what you need to be remembered. But if LEBRON pulls this out...it does wonders for his legacy. I can almost guarantee years from now we would remember him denying a historically great team more than his numbers (finals record)
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Bulls run was better
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel whoever wins game 7 is the greatest of all time.

The warriors has the record, but if the cavs beat the best team ever.....
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I feel whoever wins game 7 is the greatest of all time.

The warriors has the record, but if the cavs beat the best team ever.....

That makes sense. If the Warriors win, they have the best regular season record of all time and a ring to back it up.

However, if the Cavaliers win it would be like calling the 07 Giants the Greatest football team of all time because they beat the undefeated Patriots in the Superbowl.

I don't think a game 7 victory would make the Cavaliers the greatest team of all time, but a victory for the Warriors would make a very strong argument for the greatest team of all time.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The bulls went 72-10 in the regular season and 15-3 in the post season. They only lost 1 game leading up to the finals and was str8 up dominating the sonics until Gary Payton demanded that he stick MJ and it prevented sweep even though they still lost.

I wanted to see if Golden State could keep up the dominance against top flight competition in the postseason before I crown them the best team ever and they haven't. They've shown moments and flashes but not consistently. Greatest regular season? Sure I'll buy that. But overall greatest team? Nah.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    So as it stands the 1996 Bulls are the Greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA.

72-10 with a championship.

I don't see how you could argue that another team is better.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The answer to the question is that it's impossible...

Solely because we can't manipulate time and have a great team from the 2010's play the great team for the 2000's play the great team from the 90's and 80's and 70's and etc...

Not to mention there's no dynasty that maintains the same exact roster throughout the years.

You can really only have some sort of tiered based ranking system akin to "best team of the decade" because not only do teams change, but NBA rules change too...
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So as it stands the 1996 Bulls are the Greatest basketball team in the history of the NBA.

72-10 with a championship.

I don't see how you could argue that another team is better.

The answer to this is that you CANNOT PROVE that they would beat "team XY or Z" in a 7 game series with PROOF. And until you can PROVE IT, it is inarguably a debate based off of speculation.

And with that being said, it is a statement that is forever impossible to be absolute.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eye test says the Bulls, but there is no objective answer.

The equation has far too many variables.